Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Design on a Dime
  What happened to HGTV???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happened to HGTV??? Sign In/Join 
posted
I a looking at a full weeks schedule and all I see is house hunters love it or list it and only ONE show about decorating ONE time a week (Color Splash). Kind of sad only one show to watch all week!!!

Posts: 2 | Location: MI | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been watching HGTV since it started airing.Do you remember Kitty Barthalmew(S?), what happened to ALL the excellent, helpful, design shows that were available all day long??? If I want to buy a house, I'll connect with a realtor-- who cares if someone is looking at a house 'cross country-it's unimportant to me...are they showing Sarah Richardson's newest program...it's on in Canada, I guess USA HGTV doesn't care about what people REALLY want to see! Disgusted but hopeful management will change things.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me too; nothing I want to watch. Disappointing and disgusting.
Might as well call the network Real Estate TV.

Posts: 4 | Location: VA | Registered: Oct 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a sign on so that I could post my concerns for the TV content or lack of. Only to find others are saying the same thing. Not really surprising. I was also going to say 'Real Estate TV' !!! I think that all of the design talent has been siphoned off to the HGTV Magazine. I have subscribed to the magazine since the beginning and have found it to have refreshing formats, contents and graphics. The design hosts and contest winners and participants are the ones that are being shown in the magazine. Here's my suggestion to the HGTV producers: Get half of those folks off the magazine duties and back on TV with new episodes of our favorites. The other half can work on the magazine for a while. And then rotate them or split their duties between the 2. You need to get your fan base base back!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tekamah:
I've been watching HGTV since it started airing.Do you remember Kitty Barthalmew(S?), what happened to ALL the excellent, helpful, design shows that were available all day long??? If I want to buy a house, I'll connect with a realtor-- who cares if someone is looking at a house 'cross country-it's unimportant to me...are they showing Sarah Richardson's newest program...it's on in Canada, I guess USA HGTV doesn't care about what people REALLY want to see! Disgusted but hopeful management will change things.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just me - so happy to find there are others who are tired of watching real estate shows. Is HGTV now owned by that industry? I am a single, working woman who doesn't have the luxury of daytime TV - I want to see decorating shows with current trends and colors at night, every night! Where are all the HGTV design stars that you all selected? Please get with the program and bring back the HGTV that we love!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy to see others share my concern. If HGTV wants to feature real estate, get another channel and call it HGTV Real Estate and show all you want, but quit messing with our decorating/design shows! I counted one week exactly how many times they showed Property Brothers and Love It or List It and was shocked! They dominate HGTV. I have started watching other channels where they feature a couple design shows and if HGTV isn't careful, other channels will feature what HGTV has given up and HGTV will lose a lot of followers. I have been waiting to see High Low Project. According to the schedule, it isn't listed to air through spring and into summer. Not even reruns. They have shown episodes from the shows listed above over and over so many times it is painful to watch. It is disappointing that HGTV has gotten away from their roots. I will hold out hope for more design emphasis in the very near future, or I will turn the TV off when I see another real estate show on HGTV.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on all of the above. I'm glad to see others agree, but how do we find out what has happened to all of our shows? I use to bleed HGTV until this year now I find myself going to other stations just to see flipping shows or any design shows. Who can respond and let us know when our shows are returning - Meg, David, you all know what shows I mean, where are they, you can't tell me they weren't being watched - everyone loved them, now where are they.

Posts: 1 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I was just thinking that myself. YOu can only watch so many episodes of one show in a row before you want to throw the remote into the tv. What happened to the craft shows and the shows that actually show you how to do all this decorating, diy doesn't even do that anymore.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grandma Nina
posted Hide Post
I have a website,blog and a facebook page and all the women that follow me were discussing this very thing for the past couple of days. What happened to all the design shows. We're tired of watching young adults, the ages of our children, buying million dollar homes all over the world! Come on! We just want to see our old favorites back so we can enjoy and decorate the homes we're in. You know, like real life!! I'm looking back through all these comments and why isn't HGTV replying or answering these? I miss Candice and Joan and Design on a Dime and Decorating Cents. What happened.

Posts: 5 | Location: Western PA | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Ladies, I hope you won't mind if I jump in here for a minute. If I am out of line, I apologize.

Here on the Message Board under the Favorite Shows topic on the Shows Forum there is an opening paragraph that I am going to quote here. I had not seen this info until a few months ago...It was probably there, I just didn't pay attention. Here goes....

"Welcome to HGTV's Favorite Shows Message Board."

"NOTE: These forums provide a place for discussion of HGTV programming with other fans. HGTV does not respond to posts on this Board. To send your thoughts to HGTV programming, contact our Viewer Services Department. You can send an email to the Viewer Services Department."

In the original message on the computer screen, you can click on Viewer Services Department and it will take you there.

The Viewer Services Department is actually the Chat Line. The Line is available Mon thru Fri from about 9:30 to 5:00 Eastern Time. When you contact the Chat Line, you are actually dealing with a live person. Sometimes I have trouble getting on the Chat Line. I just try later.

The Chat line is the little green box just above the email form. Your name and email address is the only info they ask you for.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to let HGTV know what programming they would like to see. I don't know if it will help change anything, but at least you know that your message is getting into the network. Marylee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else disgusted and sick and tired of watching shows on HGTV where the people are constantly whining about having to live through a week or two long renovation...or being so entitled that they MUST have granite and stainless steel and only HIGH END fixtures in their (new) home? I'm tired of it - I miss shows where you actually taught me how to do something or gave me ideas for rooms/spaces, etc. Now all I see are whiny people "suffering" because a room is the wrong color and/or they don't have enough foresight to see the possibilities. Whatever happened to living within your means and hard work? Another thing - shows where you have a budget that's ALWAYS blown because you use exorbitantly priced fixtures and appliances that really aren't necessary to make the place look great. Get back to basics, HGTV.

Posts: 5 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jun 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! All the shows now are about buying or selling a home and doing major home renovations. What happened to the decorating (on a budget) shows and the gardening shows? It's called Home & Garden TV, but there's nothing about gardening anymore.

HGTV use to be my favorite channel to watch and I use to get so many decorating ideas from the shows. I hardly watch it anymore, because every time I turn it on House Hunters or the Property Brothers is on. I miss the decorating shows and the gardening shows :-( !

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grandma Nina
posted Hide Post
As MaryLee suggested above, I finally found the live chat line here: http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html
I wrote my complaint and the on line operator said she would pass it along. Maybe if you all go there and do the same, they'll start paying attention. I hope!

Posts: 5 | Location: Western PA | Registered: Jan 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Grandma Nina. I am so glad that you went to the Chat Line. It is really easy, isn't it? And the ladies there are helpful. I know that a message left with them will get to the proper people. I agree with you...if enough people contact them...maybe something good will happen.

I realize that the Message Board only shows a small section of views, but it covers the entire country,,,so they would be getting opinions from all over. Marylee

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do any of the advertisers know that we just aren't choosing to watch HGTV anymore of this lame programming? I mean, if they're the ones paying for the shows to air so we'll see their products, does it make any sense to spend advertising dollars here? Maybe it would be better to contact them

Posts: 1 | Location: Northeastern Ohio | Registered: Jan 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Have you read the several previous posts on how to contact HGTV directly? We all understand your frustration, perhaps if HGTV is able to hear from many of us directly, they would do something about it.

Posts: 5016 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
rker, I am so glad you are putting the word out there to the posters. I hope you can get the idea across. Marylee

Picture of Grandma Nina
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to contact HGTV on a live chat and put in a complaint. They tell me these get passed on to those that need to know! http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html

posted Hide Post
Wonderful to know. It isn't the correct time to contact them now, but I am going to come back and let the network know that I miss watching HGTV. Rarely watch the stupid programming that dominates now. Thanks so much for the link.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post