Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Divine Design
  Designing around original 1969 wood trim
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designing around original 1969 wood trim Sign In/Join 
posted
I just purchased a 1969 one story ranch for my daughter. The bones of this house are excellent and the wood trim is in as good condition today as the day they built it. The problem is the color. The wood trim dates it but she can not afford to replace it all. The wood trim is a blond/reddish maple color as well as all the doors.
I need to replace flooring too so I am open to what I can do to take the focus off the trim color.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Are you thinking carpet or wood flooring?

In just a few short years, you may be wondering why you thought the oak trim was dated. It is all personal taste at any point in time.
Wood tends to blend well with other woods, so you may just have to find a floor color you like that has enough contrast to the trim or else just match it if you are thinking wood floors. Any wall color in greens/blue greens or creams will probably look nice.

Classics in quality tend to survive the years, as other trends come and go, often just to get people to spend money.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I am thinking wood and carpet. It's just so orange and reddish looking trim.
They built the house well. I have just spent an hour trying to find out where or what kind of can lights she uses. This HGTV website is NOT user friendly! I found the Devine Design show listings and I have clicked on a few but they are all old ones and no listing for the can lights.Frown

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would visit a couple local lighting stores to check out their can light designs. If they are in the ceiling, and the attic is above, you will need some that are insulated since they come in contact with the insulation.
And if you do not have an electrician you rely on, they can often recommend someone with experience cutting and mounting these too.

Shop these lighting stores first, you can always check the box stores later for comparison pricing. But often I find the cost can be similar and the advice at the lighting store is often better.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post