Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Help! House for sell for 5 years!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! House for sell for 5 years!! Sign In/Join 
posted
We have a home in AL that has been for sale on & off for 5 years. It is on the 9th tee of a beautiful golf course in the mountains. The house has been totally renovated. The property taxes are very low in this area. When we put the house on the market originally the price was $138 sq ft & has been lowered to less than 100 per sq ft. We are in much need to sell this home. Does anyone have any ideas???

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the group.

Do you have a link to the listing? As a Realtor I must confess that price per sq ft is not a very good measure of price.

At this point your listing is very stale. We all look forward to more info about your home. There are a several members who will be able to provide much useful info for you.

Posts: 3400 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, sassygal, Welcome to the real estate boards!

If your house has been "for sale on & off for 5 years" and you have been unable to sell it, I suspect that the price is the problem. I agree that pricing via the square footage is a very inaccurate method. During these five years, has it been listed with a real estate agent or have you been trying to sell by owner?

Is it currently listed for sale? If so, is it FSBO or listed with an agency and what is the MLS number in either case? If it is not listed on the MLS, that could be the problem right there ~ not enough exposure to the available market in the area.

If it is MLS listed, it could be anything from price, condition, photographs, etc. that is causing the problem. If you will post back with additional information, perhaps we can offer some suggestions....

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. We have a house for sale that we finished in 2008 and still hasn't sold as well as the house we're living in. It's just the economy. There's really nothing we can do about it.

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree that the economy is making selling houses challenging, in some regions particularly so, there are many alternative ways that you can get your house sold, or facilitate a positive transaction.

Have you ever considered having a real estate investor evaluate your situation. By doing something such as supporting a lease option for a buyer having trouble qualifying due to tight lend parameters you might find a great solution to your situation. Feel free to PM us via our website. We don't work in your area, but may be able to provide some direction via our free resources. www.MFBProperties.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Huntington LI | Registered: Mar 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Obviously didn't read the rules... Property Helper..and the last thing the seller needs is to sell wholesale to an investor.

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sassygal, You started this thread and haven't been back since ~ was it just a whim or do you seriously want some help?

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why if she is trying to sell did she not say where the house was and what recent sales or properties up for sale in her area .It is all location and sales data and also mortgage companies are really asking for more of a down payment just to apply .Plus the banks want the house to be appraised to make sure it is worth the sale price .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
did aa tiny bit of ****hing and found 3-4 mountain galf places...the one that did mention homes 2-3 were for rent and one for sale, around $200,000+...if that's the case than op you hav to be sure your place is clean neat and in excellent condition...it might be you have only run into peopel who want to take advantage of the renters or short term investmwnt...try and return..

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got the idiot, yes I said idiot, out who was in our house with a lease to purchase. It was a nightmare. I will never do that again unless they can pay half of the price of the house down. Had a credit check and everything looked good. She was a fraud and all kinds of other things that I won't say on here. She left owing us lots and lots of money. The only good thing is she didn't trash the house.

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
So sorry Kayhil, did your Realtor check mugshot.com?

Posts: 9182 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think mugshot.com was checked but I'll make sure to do that if the need arises again!! We finally found where she lives now so they can serve her our papers.