Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  SELLING AN EMPTY HOUSE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SELLING AN EMPTY HOUSE Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi,
Does anyone have any ideas for selling a house that no one lives in. Does one have to rent furniture for it?
Thanks, Roe

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
As a Realtor, I sell vacant houses all the time..
here are my recommendations:
1) Make sure the home is move in ready. The paint inside and out looks good, not faded, and if needs touch up, do so.
2) Make sure wood is in good shape inside and out including doors, baseboards, and exterior.
3) Replace faucets that are tainted/rusty. Okay if old, but make them look good with a scrub.
4) clean, clean,clean then clean some more.
5) Check to see if hardwood floors is under carpet, if so, use that. Otherwise, if carpet, have them cleaned.
6) Set up bathrooms will towels and rug, picture..decor...
same with kitchen.If breakfast bar, buy or borrow some barstools.
&) Make sure all water flow and pressure is good, have both hot and cold running water, H/A- heating and cooling elements are in goods shape.

Call several Realtors,have them go to the property and get a price. List at the highest,whether by owner or Realtor-- you can alway come down. No committment to list with them, however probably will sell faster. It's your decision.

No you don't NEED furniture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9274 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
As REL posted. Sometimes it is better for the house to be empty than full of furniture.

Don't forget to keep the landscaping up - a manicured lawn is the first thing a perspective buyer will see when pulling up to the drive way.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3568 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
As a buyer, I have always preferred empty house, so that I can really look at the flow of the rooms, and walls and mentally position my furniture in those rooms. There are many that need the bells that a staged house represent. I don't I can see more of the defects of a house if is empty than if is full of furniture.

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
If there is any part of the floorplan that might cause buyers to wonder what it's for or conclude it's wasted space, you might consider staging that area to help them visualize the possibilities. Also consider doing this if there are architectural features that would show best if you add some home decor accessories or a piece of furniture.

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
Every one of the homes I have lived in and then sold....have all sold when vacant!

j

Posts: 1714 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather see homes vacant, too.

The only thing I'd skip from what Rel mentioned is the little area rugs in the bathroom or anywhere.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I also like to view a potential home without furniture. But there are some buyers may not have much imagination.
One issue with empty, is it should be REALLY CLEAN, and because there are no furnishings, any floor/carpet stains, paint scuffs, wall damage, (any detail areas) are just more obvious/visible.

Might be nice to have a small table and chairs staged in the kitchen...for the ease of writing up those buy offers? Wink

Posts: 9655 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Exactly Conrad, that is why empty house allow you to see what it could be covered. LOL

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have any ideas for selling a house that no one lives in. Does one have to rent furniture for it?

When we were looking to purchase, vacant homes allowed us to shorten our list of potential issues - objectable 'smells'?, clutter that hid deferred maint or structural issues? Maybe more importantly easier to ascertain the home's true Sq Ft/room sizes, foundation issues, adequate drainage, etc.

IMO curb appeal to catch drive by buyers! savvy buyers proabably know if the house is in a good school district, within their work commute criteria, and their RE agent has provided sales comps.
Think like a buyer Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BMichel
posted Hide Post
I would say it depends on the condition, size and layout of the house. Imperfections are like arrows in an empty house. If you are not realistic about the amount of work you are willing to do, leave simple furniture pieces and clean really well. Simple furniture pieces can resolve layout issues and can make a room look spacious.

Your Realtor should be able to provide specifics based on their knowledge of comparables and feedback.

Posts: 10 | Location: Arizona | Registered: Nov 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you a salvage home hunter, a pickers or junk scrapper? Your questions seems you are a picker.. can you share more info about what exactly you need. And my other side of understanding is that most of the owners leaves their furnishings while others rent for storage room facility.

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: Apr 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SPAM is not nice.

Posts: 7131 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post