Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Need help picking a paint color for my bathroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help picking a paint color for my bathroom Sign In/Join 
Picture of ALehman
posted
We are considering selling our house and have decided to paint a few rooms to freshen them up. One of the rooms that needs some help is our 2nd bathroom. The problem is, I have no idea what color to paint the walls. The bathtub, toilet, and sink are all autumn yellow and I cannot afford to change them. The tiled floor is off white with flecks of brown. The cabinet and closet door and trim are all medium brown. The wall is tiled halfway up in an off white tile.
I am looking to paint the walls a color that will detract from the yellow appliances. Help.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Have you considered having your tub shower reglazed and just changed the toilet and sink? We did that, although our sink and toilet were already white, the tub/shower also white but looking old and tired. the walls had a combination of yellow/white, Well, I had the tub/shower and bathroom tiles reglazed in white and now they look like as if I have new tub and tiles.
If you can't do that I guess that a very light grey?

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I would not introduce another color. Stick with white paint,bring in a shower curtain that is
tropical maybe with a Palm Tree with white background. Introduce Bamboo/or wicker accent items--small hamper etc. Hemp Rug.

Posts: 9278 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As said, white or a paler gray color.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with a very warm cream/ivory. Why? Straight or pure white or even a low-key grey are cool colors and will stand out in contrast to the yellow fixtures making them seem even more dated.

A warm ivory or cream won't fight with that yellow and, instead, blend better, IMHO, so that the older fixtures won't jump out so much. Good luck with the process! Cool

PS. REL, have to respectfully disagree with your idea of the shower curtain theme and such. Might work in Florid but here it would be seen as extremely tacky.

So, depending on the specific locale which we don't know as OP hasn't said, I would go with a full length cream-colored classic curtain and add elements of color using a few accent pieces on the sink area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Hold up a standard manilla file folder against walls, woodwork and floor. Bet that will be close to a good color to blend.

I also like the idea of introducing some green tropical accents like the shower curtain (as suggested), towels or some inexpensive accent art pieces.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you look into the cost of reglazing (instead of replacing) the tub, plus the rest of a minor update, including new toilet, sink, etc?

No pic so not sure if you have any yellow tile, e.g. a countertop. If so, it can be sprayed - preferably professionally.

Overall, I'd keep everything classic with clean lines. Whites can vary tremendously and clash so first, I would color-match your off-white tile and use that color for the remainder of the walls. Any full-service paint counter can use a spare tile to easily accomplish this.

The brown paint dates everything terribly, IMHO. I'd paint out the trim and door (both in white) but definitely go espresso on the cabinet.

Not sure which specific "autumn" yellow you have. Citrus colors are fairly current so for a splash of color, assuming they coordinate with your autumn shade, you could use them for your towels and other accessories. If you don't care to, metallics and white towels will maintain the simple theme and clean lines.

Would also keep it simple with an off-white shower curtain. If you reglaze, you could use a clear curtain and leave it pushed back to open up the space.

As always, cleanliness is extremely important and the first, cheapest task. The tile should all be scrubbed and regrouted, if necessary.

Hope something helps. Good luck with your sale prep.

P.S. Do you have an updated mirror and/or mirrors? That might also help significantly, together with painting out the brown.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
OP states that they cannot afford to change the fixtures in the bath.
Professional Reglazing (actually it is just spray painting with epoxy) is similar in cost to a new tub, and add in the cost of the new toilet/sink. Repainted fixtures never recoup the same value of replaced ones. Probably not in the budget, and unworthy of the expense in order to sell.

I would stick with finding the right shade of cream or light paint to freshen the space.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reglazing is far less expensive than the cost, including labor, of replacing a tub, IME - and I'm in an extremely expensive area. Plus, this topic's about minor fix-ups and staging, i.e. window dressing to sell a home - not the long-term value of replacing fixtures v. spray painting.

Incidentally, changing out an old toilet can be a huge selling feature, too. Many buyers aren't thrilled with inheriting someone else's old, well-used toilet. Incidentally, I'm extremely familiar with the costs of minor bathroom updates and the possible return on sale.

Conrad, I merely asked a question of the OP about obtaining estimates b/c the OP only mentioned replacing the tub. It was 1 sentence of a long post. The balance of my post related to basic painting and other staging possibilities. Was it necessary to criticize another poster? If the OP cares to respond, he/she can.

Good luck with everything, ALehman.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:

Conrad, I merely asked a question of the OP about obtaining estimates b/c the OP only mentioned replacing the tub. It was 1 sentence of a long post. The balance of my post related to basic painting and other staging possibilities. Was it necessary to criticize another poster? If the OP cares to respond, he/she can.

Sorry if it came across that way. That was not my intent, AguaBella. It was a busy morning and I obviously did not take enough time to explain well. Apologies from here, if that is what you thought I intended.
As one who is sorry (years ago) we did not bite the bullet and replace a tub and tile rather than just have it reglazed/repainted along with the pink tile in a large bathroom...from my experience, I would never encourage someone do so, and just wanted to share that. (The chemical smell of the paint was really bad for the week that the prep and priming was completed in our hall bath)

posted Hide Post
Idaho, the show curtain doesn't have to be a Palm Tree, it was just a suggestion. Spa like or vacation like bathrooms are featured in many magazines here, such as mine-that I described.

We all know here you are very opinionated about posters suggestions..but hey...time to give that a break. It's tacky.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
Idaho, the show curtain doesn't have to be a Palm Tree, it was just a suggestion. Spa like or vacation like bathrooms are featured in many magazines here, such as mine-that I described.

We all know here you are very opinionated about posters suggestions..but hey...time to give that a break. It's tacky.

Sorry, REL, no offense meant but I was trying to point out that probably 90% of the country doesn't have decor where a palm tree would be a good fit.

I do understand what you meant, however, so I'll be happy to take a break from posting any suggestions. Thank you for the encouragment...

posted Hide Post
No worries, Conrad. I don't know how many years it's been since you had your reglazing done but processes, materials and costs do change over time.

I always encourage my clients to consider all the alternatives. That's what I suggested to the OP. Incidentally, I've seen properties with similar bathrooms stuck on the market for many months, when that particular room was their only obvious flaw. They usually become known to buyers and other agents as the "pink bathroom home" or whatever color fits the description.

In staging, our primary focus is to put lipstick on the pig (not your room, OP!) in the hopes of quickly selling the property and reducing or eliminating months of carrying costs. Recouping upgrade costs is usually a secondary goal for us.

BTW, also IMHO, if a seller can't tolerate a week of paint smells and inconvenience, perhaps they're not that interested in a quick sale. Unfortunately, properties that remain on the market for extended periods of time typically sell for a lower % of their asking price, IME.

Take care -

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yep, it was about 15 years ago when we had the bathroom done after we had estimates. The white cast iron tub was repainted white, for 350 dollars. That would have been close to the cost of a new tub at the time. It saved us the demolition mess and cost, but it took a whole week for the bathroom, since there were two different colors used in the room. The guy who painted it wore a heavy duty paint ventilator mask, but I sure worried about his health! Honestly the neighbors mentioned the strong chemical odor of the spray all week, it was not minor.Wink

All sorts of buyers out there, but a repainted tub would not be plus for me. I would rather replace it myself after purchase. But many buyers have no experience.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:

Will do ~ later all.....

posted Hide Post
Lets play nice here. We are all opinionated. That is why people ask questions. To get opinions. REL! You should not tell another poster that they should quit posting. It is not your place to do so.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't re read the post.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Conrad, I am sorry that your experience with reglazing was bad. When I reglazed my tub and surrounding tile, there was no outstading smell afterwards. And the tub and tiles in the wall look really amazing
The cost is still a lot less that buying a new tub, let along changing the tiles that surround the tub.
Things change. is an alternative to replacing a tub or actually just painting it.
My tub looks new, and a lot better than before.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF you do reglaze, be careful to get a referral, as I have heard of some reglazers not the best in the business. I just have my same old peach bathtub. My toilet is new and white. My bathroom is gorgeous. I'll try to find the picture...to give an idea of what it looks like

posted Hide Post
"I didn't re read the post."

What! Really! An apology would be nice.

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
The content of what some people post can be opinionated, but certain people over do it. This particular person in question often says off handed remarks that are totally uncalled for. I've read where she calls people out for not spelling correctly, or not using proper English... getting on a poster if they don't post back immediately and then insinuating the OP was a fraud that is wasting "our" time as if we're a collective unit that MUST read every post... that's totally unnecessary and not what this board is all about. Yes, this is a board of opinions and for opinions, ideas, etc., but it has to be two sided... she can't always be reprimanding everyone and expect no reaction to what she posts. So, I think, many people are noticing what is going on, and some choose to speak up, nothing wrong in that. As far as I have read, REL never has harsh words, she always stays with the business at hand, but there are times that you only take so much.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating a point of view.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spanish Revival, Your point of view has been duly noted as it is the same diatribe you have been spouting against me for a number of years now. I actually feel sorry for you ~ following me from the Pet Boards to the Food Boards and now the Real Estate Boards?

You must have something better to do with your time than rail against me; if not, I am flattered that my posts are consuming so much of your life. Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
"I didn't re read the post."

What! Really! An apology would be nice.

I agree. That "tacky" statement was uncalled for, Rel. Everyone is simply trying to help the OP with her paint color.

Ok, so I vote for the light cream/ivory color, same/similar color as what's in the flooring. It will give the bathroom a cohesive look. Yellow fixtures aren't necessarily a bad thing.

If there's room on the countertops or in the bathroom, I'd put some live plants, too.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
Spanish Revival, Your point of view has been duly noted as it is the same diatribe you have been spouting against me for a number of years now. I actually feel sorry for you ~ following me from the Pet Boards to the Food Boards and now the Real Estate Boards?

You must have something better to do with your time than rail against me; if not, I am flattered that my posts are consuming so much of your life. Cool

First off, IR, I don't "follow" you as your delusions may have you believe... the boards are for EVERYONE to read and enjoy and even comment on, not just those with delusions of grandeur. I'm interested in many topics and that will continue, whether you like it or not, so get used to it. Perhaps looking into what you do is in order instead of giving me such great importance in your own life. I NEVER mention you by name, but you go out of your way to not only mention me but berate me... narcissistic passive aggressive behavior comes to mind. If you think I'm spending so much time on these boards "railing" against you, and have nothing better to do than "follow" you, check out how many posts you have compared to mine, and how long you've been here compared to me... one of us is here a lot more than the other, and it aint me lady. You don't seem to "get it". Just calm down and be nice, it's easy, you should try it. You shouldn't feel the need to pick apart posts, or in my case, poster, you don't like, just move on, it's simple. BTW, when you think someone is following you, it's called "paranoia"...

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Me thinks I will blame all the drama on the heat/humidity. Makes most of us a bit less nice?

OP has never returned to post again.. Guess scared away?Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:

First off, IR, I don't "follow" you as your delusions may have you believe... the boards are for EVERYONE to read and enjoy and even comment on, not just those with delusions of grandeur. I'm interested in many topics and that will continue, whether you like it or not, so get used to it. Perhaps looking into what you do is in order instead of giving me such great importance in your own life. I NEVER mention you by name, but you go out of your way to not only mention me but berate me... narcissistic passive aggressive behavior comes to mind. If you think I'm spending so much time on these boards "railing" against you, and have nothing better to do than "follow" you, check out how many posts you have compared to mine, and how long you've been here compared to me... one of us is here a lot more than the other, and it aint me lady. You don't seem to "get it". Just calm down and be nice, it's easy, you should try it. You shouldn't feel the need to pick apart posts, or in my case, poster, you don't like, just move on, it's simple. BTW, when you think someone is following you, it's called "paranoia"...

You are right, SR, you never mention me by name as you prefer the snide sideways method of attack while I do mention you by name when being directly attacked by you on each board where I post since I really don't understand your continued venom against me.

You are right, though, about our comparative numbers of posts. I have been a very active poster on both the Pet and Real Estate Boards where I think I have helped a number of posters ~ can you say the same? Same boards where you only show up to bash me - why is that?

I do have to thank you for your exhaustive psychoanalysis of my character and personality disorders ~ wow....

And, now back to the question at hand, no need to replace all bathroom fixtures if it isn't financially feasible to do so. Simply re-paint with a warm (not cool) color that won't "fight" with the yellow fixtures, install a brand-new shower curtain and add some accents of color in the sink area and perhaps on the walls.

If worst comes to pass, reduce the price to reflect an out-dated bathroom in the decorative sense, emphasize how beautifully it functions in the operative sense (isn't that what we all really want from a bathroom, after all?) and clean, clean, clean!

Good luck - post back how it goes. Cool

posted Hide Post
Well, I hope the OP comes back.

I had another thought and that is that some people really like older, vintage things. Those yellow fixtures could be just the ticket for the right buyer.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to understand as to the horror of many when they see bathrooms that have color tubs, sinks toilets etc.
Frankly, I really like them.
Is just that when we see any of the TV shows, the first words that come out of their mouth is
It looks so dated?
Well, I am sorry that they look dated to many, to me, I love many of the colors that I have seen.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good points about vintage or "dated" fixtures. Not all buyers are looking first and foremost for the most up to date dressings in a home.

I personally would probably rather have dated fixtures of quality and good function, than new, cheap, low quality ones that functioned poorly. I could always change them at a later time, but use them in the meantime.

Such a small thing (one second bathroom) when really choosing the right home.

posted Hide Post
Character and charm. :-)

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess that we should all thank HGTV for the usage of the word "dated" It has become the most used excuse when people are buying homes. LOL

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I had to post this, because, I have fallen head over heels in love with a picture of a tub that this month House Beautiful is featuring.
Benjamin Moore is advertising their first paint for bathrooms items. and there is a tub that the outside is painted in a robin's egg color that is amazing.
Perhaps color tubs and sinks are coming back.