Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Protocol about requesting house viewers to remove shoes???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protocol about requesting house viewers to remove shoes??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
The last two groups of folks looking at our home-for-sale, have tracked mud thru the whole house (I'm talking over 2,ooo sq. ft. of hardwoods). Yes, our home is for sale, but as a woman in my mid-60's it is hard for me to mop these floors all at once in case there is another showing the next day.

Should I talk to the realtor about asking folks to remove their shoes or do I just need to 'suck it up'.

Be brutal if you need to...the realtor does always take off her shoes when it's just her here talking to us.

Orrr could we request that the folks tour inside first and then tour outside last???

Help, please and thank you Smile

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Given your circumstances, I recommend you provide those disposable shoe covers called booties to protect your carpet and floors from dirt and mud. This way potential buyers and your agent need not remove their shoes, which can get awkward. And, make sure your agent (gently)enforces this policy of yours.

Here's some info: http://www.prosafetysupplies.c...posable_shoe_covers/

You can probably get them at your local home improvement store.

Posts: 5244 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Because you have the experience to know that potential buyers (and their realtor!) won't always have the common sense and/or the courtesy to remove their dirty shoes, definitely insist on future potential buyers taking off their shoes or wearing the disposable shoe covers. Have your realtor add this info to the realtor's notes on the MLS listing so everyone is given a "heads up" so they know what to expect.

Also consider posting a little sign at the entry next to the basket of shoe covers to the effect that, "Please help keep the carpet and floors clean and fresh for the new owner of this home".

Your realtor ought to have called the agent for those buyers and let him/her have it for what those buyers did.

Posts: 8199 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
or do I just need to 'suck it up'.

Yes, YES and Yes.

There are people who will not take their shoes off and just walk away and there are those that will be offended that you asked and though they may take them off they will not think well of you and will not make an offer no matter how much they like your house.

If you can aford to not sell your house, then by all means ask them to take their shoes off.

Posts: 6956 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Serious buyers aren't going to be put off by being asked to remove their shoes or by being asked to wear shoe covers. Serious buyers will be impressed at the care you are taking to turn over a well maintained home to the new owner.

Having a house on the market doesn't equal letting slobs run roughshod over your investment. If you had had carpet rather than hardwoods, you would have had to have the carpets steam cleaned after those buyers tramped through with their muddy shoes. That's just not right.

When we sell, no matter the kind of market we're in at the time, we will be providing shoe covers for buyers to wear. If that's enough cause for a buyer to have a tantrum, they weren't serious about our house anyway.

Posts: 8199 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not ask people to remove their shoes as I really wouldn't want strangers walking through my house in bare feet. Yuck

Instead I would purchase the disposable booties and REQUIRE all visitors to wear them. I agree with the above comments to have your listing agent advise the buyer agents and post a nicely worded sign on the "booties basket" at the front door such as "Please cover your shoes - this house might be your house one day!"

As far as the potential of insulting someone? If they don't care enough to respect your house, the chances are that they aren't going to buy your house! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Idaho - No one is going to contaminate your house because they walk through it with bare or stocking feet. Have you ever been over to the environmental living boards - They go berzerk over wearing shoes in the house.

Just put in the listing under comments to other agents that you request all visitors to remove their shoes. No one will be offended. I will frequently remove my shoes when showing some houses because of the finish on the floors or the outside condition.

The problem I encounter is the infrequent listing where the homeowner has a list of 15 do's and don'ts. Now those are the turn offs! The one I really really hate and will frequently skip if I have a number of similar properties to show - Listing agent must accompany all showings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
Idaho - No one is going to contaminate your house because they walk through it with bare or stocking feet.

Charming, No, haven't been over to those boards and have to say that I'm really not a germ-a-phobe and also not worried about contamination. We live out in the country - we've seen it all!

Just meant to say that I personally would rather have unknown persons slip on booties over footware than have them go barefoot with "grimy whatever" on their feet throughout my house - especially during the hot weather months. LOL

I agree that simply slipping off shoes is the way to go EXCEPT, unless the seller requires it, many individuals may not be that considerate (not their house after all) and their agent might not want to offend them by bringing it up themselves. Cool

Bottom line in my opinion: It's entirely reasonable for any seller, including CJO, to request either removal of shoes or use of shoe covers for any showings....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
Charming, No, haven't been over to those boards and have to say that I'm really not a germ-a-phobe and also not worried about contamination. We live out in the country - we've seen it all!
I agree that simply slipping off shoes is the way to go EXCEPT, unless the seller requires it, many individuals may not be that considerate (not their house after all) and their agent might not want to offend them by bringing it up themselves. Cool

Bottom line in my opinion: It's entirely reasonable for any seller, including CJO, to request either removal of shoes or use of shoe covers for any showings....

Wow, I've seen some pretty heated battles over there on - shoes, no shoes in the house. After reading a few of those battles, I quit visiting that board; I decided those folks are waaaayyyy to far out there for me. Eek

I look at it from a professional stand point - the last thing I want to do as a buyer's agent is to tick off the seller of a property my folks might be interested in.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone showing our houses for sale and the lookers have to wear the shoe protectors and they do. They are supplied by us and are right inside the front door and outside the door in the garage going into the house.

Posts: 1117 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Debid
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a regional thing, but having a nice sign, a rug to step on, and the booties if you want them is not uncommon here.... Some people will just take their shoes off and go either barefoot (if you had sandals on), or in their socks - or people will use the booties..... I've never seen anyone get offended, but I sure have seen houses where people have tracked mud - RUDE, RUDE, RUDE...... As others have said, they weren't going to buy anyway - and if they did, they would insist that you clean all the floors professionally!!

Posts: 4800 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: May 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
GRestttt comments from everyone! DH is on board with the booties; we'll talk w/our realtor for her input as well.

I just like to check with un-biased folks first...thanks again!!!!!! Group Hug

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
CJO

Please instruct your agent to put a comment in the Realtor Only remarks. Then the showing Realtor will follow the instruction for her/him and clients. The public will not see the notation ..or be offfended or skip your home on the list..in advance.

Please do not post a sign on your front door about booties, or put a basket next to the door.
This only indicates that you are not home and could attract a bad element. IF you want potential buyers to wear botties put them in a basket inside you front entry, and make sure that is the notation in the MLS with your Realtor.
However, be aware if someone slips on slippery tile wearing plastic booties you could have a liability. I had such an instance with a buyer who was wearing leather sole shoes as she was stepping off carpet from the top stair to tile on the second level. I did catch her, and I do always wear rubber sole shoes.

You might want to address the mud issue. Is there no walk-way to the front door without crossing grass or dirt areas? Take a look and follow the path from street and see if somehow that could be corrected, if that is a case.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, be a ware if someone slips on slippery tile you could have a liability.

Someone could slip and fall in your home with shoes on or with barefeet, or stub their toe.

Isn't that why we all have homeowner insurance?

Posts: 5244 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of any problem WRT selling a home and buyers touring (or not) by asking them to remove shoes and/or use booties. If they can't respect your home, they're not truly interested anyway, IMHO. Agree with REL - we recommend sellers place a nice basket in the entryway - not outdoors.

Had the same reaction WRT the mud, too. I'd try to encourage another traffic pattern to avoid that problem.

Agree, we all need adequate insurance. OTOH, if you have a tripping or slippery surface in your home and frequent visitors, it's important to consider that and remedy it, if possible.

JMHO, as usual.

Posts: 137 | Registered: Mar 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the same area as Debid, and had exactly the same reaction. The signs, together with a basket of booties are fairly common here, especially at open houses, though I've seen the signs inside the house rather than posted on the front door, probably for the reason RELady gave.

The Realtor comments idea is good, but it also puts the agent in a position of having to remember (which s/he may not) and/or to be the "bad guy." And if you want to provide booties, you're going to need a sign as well.

I think the key is to wording the sign as a polite request--you don't even need to say anything about "this house could be yours..." While I wouldn't be concerned about offending the terminally rude types, who likely aren't going to buy your house anyway, I would be concerned about the potential irrational, emotional response of a serious buyer who might never dream of messing up your house intentionally, but might be put off if s/he felt "ordered" to do something. But if it were worded as a respectful appeal to their better natures, serious, polite buyers are very likely to comply gladly. Especially if next to the sign were a basket of chocolates and an invitation to take one!

Also, good luck on selling your house! I hope you find a buyer quickly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ACWhite,

Posts: 876 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Given your circumstances, I recommend you provide those disposable shoe covers called booties to protect your carpet and floors from dirt and mud. This way potential buyers and your agent need not remove their shoes, which can get awkward. And, make sure your agent (gently)enforces this policy of yours.

Here's some info: http://www.prosafetysupplies.c...posable_shoe_covers/

You can probably get them at your local home improvement store.

This is the perfect answer...you don't really want strangers traipsing through your home barefoot. Think plantar's warts, athelete's foot etc etc

Posts: 518 | Location: mi, usa | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Any specific instructions a homeowner has about showing their property should be provided to their listing agent so it can be included in the agent to agent info in the MLS.

Agents do not take offense to this info, as long as you do not have too many hoops for a potential agent and buyer to jump through, no one will mind the booties.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
After reading this post and its many answers, I am so glad that I don't have carpets in my house Big Grin

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
I would just put a big doormat outside the door.

If it's being shown on wet, rainy days I'd put the booties just inside the door with a sign that simply says, "for use on rainy days".
That way you aren't inferring that the people who are looking at your house are dirty.

Personally, I can not even imagine in my wildest dreams of tracking mud into someones house during a showing. We've seen many, many houses over the years and the first thing we do is wipe our shoes on the door mat...even if it's not wet outside. If there's any chance of getting the house muddy we always took our shoes off and walked around sock footed.

As far as removing the shoes, for some people who have foot problems and wear Orthotics this may be an issue.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

Posts: 5663 | Location: WV... no jokes please, I've heard them all, trust me. | Registered: Oct 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Debid
posted Hide Post
My dog - sadly, I am constantly amazed at what people do, and I have seen houses where there was mud tracked through the house by people looking at it, and they had to go out of their way to get in the mud (there were walkways, mats, etc) - but sadly, there are just some people that don't care..... CJO, best of luck to you - I'm actually getting ready to put my house on the market next month, and I'm taking notes!!!!!! Wink

Posts: 4800 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: May 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
Good luck Debid! I think NOVA values have held pretty well throughout the market downturn.

I hope you get a quick sale, a good price and no muddy footprints!

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

Posts: 5663 | Location: WV... no jokes please, I've heard them all, trust me. | Registered: Oct 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Yes Debid, good luck on your new venture!

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
when my house was on the market, I had white carpet throughout. My realtor ALWAYS made sure I had a box of disposable booties for lookers to wear right by the front door. I had a nice rattan basket for them to put the used ones in.

I was actually surprised how many that wore them Roll Eyes

j

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Many if not most of the open houses I've recently been to, have had notations about not wearing outdoor shoes. Either remove the shoes or wear the slip on "hospital type paper booties" over the shoes.
Most opt to take them off and go in stockings.

One last comment is to have a throw rug or landing strip inside the door with a couple of folding chairs placed nearby.
So those that do not have great balance can still remove and replace their shoes easier?

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Debid...best of luck to you...!

We have a showing today and Fri. 13 is generally lucky for me...yeah!!!!

posted Hide Post
Been to many house tours around Christmas and the weather is more-often-that-not messy. I've seen someone at the door hand me a plastic grocery bag in which to place my wet boots, shoes...and disposable booties are provided for those who want to wear them...in addition people are asked to wear socks. Seems to work.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I have orthopedic issues from one end to the other. I'm not handicapped but I don't move as well as most people do. One way I mange the problem is with well-fitting supportive shoes.

I am not willing to climb stairs in my stocking feet. Its hard enough with shoes on. I cannot stand and put shoe covers on. If you are using shoe covers please make a bench or chair available so I can sit to put them on. (I occasionally have to wear shoe covers at work.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8599 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I'm a little late to the conversation, but I wanted to chime in... Wink
I had the same problem when my house was listed. With 4 kids it's hard enough keeping the house clean when it's time for a showing.
There was one time when I returned home after the realtor showed my house, the carpet was COVERED in mud.
I order medical supplies and I noticed that they have shoe covers too ( www.exmed.net/p-1227-amd-ritme...oof-shoe-covers.aspx ) I ordered a box and discreetly left them on the doorstep on days that there was a showing. Worked like a charm!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: llucas,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a lookie loo at a neighbor's open house a few years ago. Standing in the foyer talking with the real estate agents, an older gentleman came to see the house. The realtor asked him nicely to put on the booties and this gentleman got really angry, said something about he didn't do that kind of thing, how houses were meant to be lived in and shoes were a part of life, and walked out. We all just looked at each other in disbelief.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a joke seriously!

Suck it up and tell the realtor to tell any prospective viewers to remove their shoes. That is just not cool especially when it is 2000 Square Feet!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by My dog:

...Personally, I can not even imagine in my wildest dreams of tracking mud into someones house during a showing.

We've seen many, many houses over the years and the first thing we do is wipe our shoes on the door mat...even if it's not wet outside...

I know, right?

I have severe animal allergies, and after watching so many people on HGTV take their dogs with them on house hunting trips, if we ever sell again, I'm going to add a note to the listing that says: "Please leave your darling pup at home." Smile

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post