Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Is granite a must in the kitchen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is granite a must in the kitchen Sign In/Join 
posted
We are trying to sell our home and can't afford to upgrade our kitchen to granite counter tops and wood cabinets. We bought the home this way.

Question:
We are trying to sell our home and can't afford to upgrade our kitchen to granite counter tops and wood cabinets. We bought the home this way.

Choices:
Yes
No
Depends

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trod, First of all, welcome to the real estate boards! Smile

I usually don't vote in polls because there are too many variables involved. And, in this case, have to say that, personally, I don't need or want granite counter tops (just not my thing) but it really does depend on your market. Do all of the other houses on the market in your area have them? Or is it simply something that has been drummed into your mind by the many TV shows ....

Bottom line, you say you can't afford them so forget about them. Instead, concentrate on cleaning, cleaning, scrubbing and then cleaning some more ~ that's what sells houses! That and de-cluttering along with a little staging! Post back if you want more suggestions! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with what Idaho Resident said. Also, for me personally as a buyer, I wouldn't care if the kitchen had granite or not if I liked the house.

Keep us posted. :-)

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi thank you for your reply. All of the homes in our price bracket and size home have granite so buyers don't want to have to spend an additional $20k to renovate. The other fad we are seeing from buyers is the demand for hardwood flooring on the second floor in the bedrooms and hallway.

What do you mean by staging? This is the first home I am selling I have the due cluttering part done. Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
Thanka. Our house goes back on the market in the spring to give us time to paint and there will be a larger buying pool. Many people liked our home but didn't like the kitchen.

posted Hide Post
Going 'back on the market'? So you have tried to sell it before? What did your agent have to say about the house? Did he think it was in showing condition or that you needed to do work?

Posts: 7098 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The agent recommended granite. Yes we had it on the market from sept to dec. he said we needed to paint remove wallpaper from one room and put new carpets or hardwood on the second floor. We can't afford to do an trying but paint because I am on disability and $'is very tight. My husband works long hours so he doesn't have much time. Everyone that looked said it was in their top 3. My husband said if we charged up our Home Depot card we wouldn't get the $ Back and the agent agreed so we lowered the price but every potential buyer hates the kitchen. I am at a loss at this point.

posted Hide Post
give it a face lift like painting the cabinets changing out hardware new sink and new faucet and new lighting fixtures a declutter may help .High composit countertops might work .Even newer appliances add to the look

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you post px of the kitchen? We can likely come up with cheaper alternatives.

Posts: 7098 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Price solves a lot of issues. So, if comparable homes in your price point have granite counters, you obviously can't expect to get the same amount of money for your home without having granite. Likewise, if the "comparables" have hardwood, adjust your price lower to reflect that your house doesn't.

As Metwo suggested, please post a link to photos of your house so we can give you more targeted advise on how to get it sold. Smile

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Personally, I simply have never liked granite, so for me, it would be a turn off to see that cheap granite that many houses put today.
Perhaps the granite situation is not what detered your home from selling you mentioned that it needs painting,decluttering, how about the floors. do they need a new carpet?
changing little things that will make your home more appealing rather than putting tons of money on a home that you are leaving,
It is known that when you buy a house, you will come in and do a lot of decorating and changing.
Plunking down 15k in a house that you are leaving doesn't make sense to me.
Unless the house is a wreck, and then selling as is and taking down the price. is an option.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just put in a new dishwasher and fridge stainless steel. The cabinets are the cheep white ones from Home Depot. We also put in a new faucet. I will post pics of the kitchen. We did significantly lower the price of the house from $411 to $375 which our realtor thinks is fair. He said a lot of buyers are looking for kitchens with granite and islands which we don't have. My husband isn't sure the existing cabinets could hold the weight of granite. Pics to come

posted Hide Post
some cheap cabinet boxes have to be reinforced .You can get the overlay granite that you have to put plywood under it to support it but it is more expensive than granite slab .Alot of people want composite counter tops because they are anti microbial and do not harbor bacteria and if realtor tells people less upkeep and the benefits it may help .They are not cheap either and some are considered green .That could be a benefit also .Recycle is a key word these days and green also and energy saving .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really granite is a non-issue, houses without granite sell everyday. Also, you said you cannot afford to spend the money, so again a non-issue.

De-clutter, clean, do what you can.

As suggested, posting pictures will help us help you.

Posts: 2466 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think a well laid out and CLEAN, clutter free kitchen is going to sell, with or without granite. That is an extra that any new owners can easily change out, and they may want different cabinets, so I think it is a non issue too.

Plus I have seen granite that I liked, and some that I did not like, based on the color/pattern of the stone. Don't gamble with your money, is also my suggestion.

Posts: 9630 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elfie
posted Hide Post
I think getting the stainless steel appliances was a better idea than doing the granite. It's difficult to gauge which granite the buyers would want, since there are so many colors and patterns, edge choices and thickness sizes.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DebiinFL
posted Hide Post
If you can't afford the granite (or whatever else your competitors have), then price reduction and a spotless and non-cluttered house is the way to go.... I don't know what 411 - 375 means, since I don't know your market. What are the prices of the comps in your neighborhood - the ones that actually sold? If you have a similar house that has granite and hardwoods, and it sold for 375, then your house is probably priced too high. If that house sold for 430, then 375 is probably the right price.... Do you have pictures or an MLS listing? There are some AMAZING stagers on this website...

Posts: 144 | Registered: May 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Two points that sell --- clean clean clean.. and ..light and bright. Give us your mls # if you'd like and we can look up the listing pictures for additional advice here.
Do only what is affordable.
Wallpaper is easy to remove if you use vineger and water 50/50 in spray bottle. Score x's with a razor knife..then spray after waiting about 20 minutes. Do walls in sections. Just some thoughts.

Posts: 9269 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems granite counters and SS appliances have lost their luster. Here high end homes ($800 & up) offer more than a 5 YO FAD.

If emerald is this years hot color, I"ll pass

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jamsplash
posted Hide Post
Granite Counters is something you most definitely do not need or afford. I could understand if you were thinking that if you pay "x-amount" for the counters and your house sold for "x+y-amount" more but this isn't the case. It will probably lose you money and it won't speed up the sale of the property that much.

Hope this helps. I think everyone else covered it pretty well.

0% said yes Big Grin

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems the only one posting anymore are Spammers. Maybe there is something about real estate that we can discuss. Something general?

posted Hide Post
I don't see a spammer in this thread. Who are you referring to????

Posts: 114 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I think is the fact that many people are not really that enthus. about granite anylonger. I wouldn't spend that kind of money if you were selling, the only thing would be the wallpaper, but even that, depends on the price. Tell your Realtor that you cant afford the things that she wants you to have, she may have to go around that in order to sell your home.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jams splash. He/she only post to show that link.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caroln242:
I don't see a spammer in this thread. Who are you referring to????

Jamsplash, above, bumped an old thread in order to include an advertising link at the bottom of his/her post. (See the highlighted portion.)

The post can be reported to HGTV by clicking the yellow triangle. If more posters use the triangle, perhaps HGTV will monitor the boards again.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see it now. I didn't even notice it before you pointed it out. It's either not very effective or I'm just not observant!

Also found someone named Pickadonk in another thread with same advertising link. I did what was suggested...used the triangle and reported him/her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caroln242,

Posts: 114 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post