Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Our listing 11 days on MLS grateful for opinions!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our listing 11 days on MLS grateful for opinions! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all,
We just put our home on the market 11 days ago. 7 showings so far, none second. Kansas City area...good schools, nice subdivision, etc. Our home is a 4 bdrm, 2 1/2 bath updated kitchen (granite), and the best part is (to us, anyway!) that it sits on 1/2 acre treed lot that opens to 3 acre fishing lake, very scenic. No other lots this size. Cul-de-sac. Here is the link:
http://portal.heartlandmls.com...38&p=DE-11164389-729

As far as comp comparisons go, a recent example is a larger 5 bdrm home near us, very pretty, but minimal lot and not waterfront, sold for $180. We have just lowered our price (yesterday) to $179,500 after starting at $185 11 days ago. Good feedback from agents, no improvements suggested, say price is "about right". Can you think of anything we're doing wrong or that you might suggest that we change? Maybe we're being overly anxious and panicking too soon, we just keep hearing about how the market has picked up so much. Thanks in advance for any opinions! Smile

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Great sized, well maintained yard. Clean, mostly neutral interior (one exception: the purple bedroom). Attractive property overall. It'd be good to add a picture of the master bathroom.

Issues I see:

Split entry plans are terribly hard sells. Was the 5 bedroom comp you mentioned also a split?

The 4th bedroom is in the basement AND has an exterior entry door AND looks like the space was originally intended to be a rec room versus a bedroom (does it have a closet and a door?). This set-up might work for a family with an older teen or a family with a "boom-a-rang" young adult child who has returned home to live, but not so much for families with young kids. You might be better off pricing and marketing your house as a 3 bedroom with a "non-conforming" 4th for both these reasons.

Again, families with young kids may not want lake front. Even with the fence, some will see the lake as a safety issue.

The flip side of the large, well maintained yard is the fact that someone will have to mow it. Could turn off some buyers.

The living room and breakfast room could use some staging help to up the appeal. Another poster should be by soon to provide details.

Hope this feedback helps.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jewel,

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I know it's too late now, but I would not have lowered the asking price only after 11 days.
It could give the wrong impression to buyers that you are desperate or panicking. If the feedback indicates that it is priced right and that no improvements are needed, then there is no need to chase the market down at this stage of the game.

Is your agent doing everything she can to aggressively market your home to the right buyer pool?

Posts: 5162 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with aychihuahua above. A quick look at the MLS shows 25 properties for sale in your zip code and an average of only 8 sales/month over the last 8 months. Your original price seemed to be right in the mix. 11 days seems a little quick to pull the trigger in dropping the price unless there is some sort of extenuating circumstances.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jojo30:
Maybe we're being overly anxious and panicking too soon, we just keep hearing about how the market has picked up so much.

The market hasn't caught on everywhere. If you are in S.F, San Jose, Boston or Atlanta that's one thing. The K.C. market on the other hand, is still dropping. Not as fast as it had been but dropping none the less. It's almost even stablized over the last 3 months.

Posts: 46 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Home. If that was here in my area..it would be sold. Cannot believe that price for all that! However, prices are relative to your marketplace.

Your listing is a new fresh listing, and this is a valuable time for marketing.

I would leave the price alone, do NOT appear anxious to anyone including your Realtor,and do some staging with your furniture, and decor. Then re-shoot the interior photos. You can get that staging advise here for free, as many here are well versed in presentation.

Remember the photos in MLS are key to internet buyers. Most buyers let their fingers do the walking online to arrive at a short list... to see in person.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who replied--I appreciate the input. We will leave the price as it is for the time being for sure. My realtor wants to see what the next 10 days brings in terms of showings and a possible offer....the weather here has taken a drastic turn for the worse so showings have leveled off, but it should be warm and sunny by the beginning of the week. I will try to be patient and optimistic, but it is hard.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would repaint the two purple bedrooms. I really think it would help.

posted Hide Post
I think I was asking this question not too long ago.... I wouldn't necessarily re-paint the purple bedroom, but I would put a white bedspread on the bed, and perhaps accessorize with white. There's a room, I think it may be the office? It feels cramped to me. Just de-clutter every room. Use space and accessories wisely. The fact you are on the waterfront will make some people nervous and the fact you have a big yard will make others think there's too much to mow. We had people who thought we were on the wrong side of the street or our large house was on too small a lot, so the opposite problem, but we did find a buyer, albeit a difficult one. I guess patience is key although as a seller that's hard.... Good luck!

Posts: 489 | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jojo, did your realtor give you a punchlist to complete prior to listing your home?

How's everything, now?

Good Luck!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see your listing is now $169,900?- any offers?....crossed fingers for you!

A few suggestions..white garage door would give more curb appeal. Remember when potential buyers see listings on the net in their area..they will do a drive by and you will never know, unless they call a Realtor to see the interior. So curb appeal is key.

Also photo presentation should follow that of a tour..front of house, entry foyer L.R.,D.R. Kitchen, then bedrooms, baths and backyard.
Also a few of the photos look cluttered..or maybe just bad angles. Suggest review photo presentation with your Realtor.

Yard is gorgeous.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,