Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  We Need Help!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Need Help!! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, everyone. My wife and I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee about 10 years ago. We moved from Long Island and we really like it down here. The trouble is we have no family down here and we have a bunch of grand kids that we miss teribly.
We have been trying to sell our house for almost three years and we are at our wits end. We listed with two agents and we hardly had anyone come and look at the house. We are now listing it ourselves and we have had some results, but no buyers. There is always something lacking, such as a master on the main or no pantry or the garage is too small. We have removed many pictures on the walls, painted all the rooms, as was suggested by a group of agents, removed furniture and changed up the landscape. The house has three bedrooms, two and a half baths, two car garage, an above ground pool with a deck all around it, a nice sized shed with electricity, two stories and two zone heating and A/C.
We started three years ago at $197,000. Nothing happened. We dropped the price to $189,999 and still nothing. We changed agents and dropped the price again. In the mean time I put a wood floor in the master bedroom and a new ceramic floor in the main bathroom. We changed the carpet in one of the bedrooms, had a new roof put on, a new A/C unit put in and dropped the price again. Nothing. Now, we are trying to sell it on our own and the price was dropped a few weeks ago to $172,500.
We thing it is a fair price, but we still can't sell it. We want to move up North again to be with family. We are getting old (61) and we need to be near our Moms, kids, and grandkids. Plus, we want to downsize and move to a 55+ community.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we are doing wrong? Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks so much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jetfan27,

Posts: 6 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I am sorry you are having so much trouble trying to sell your home. Unfortunately, what has been told to you by potential buyers are not anything you can change - Master on 2nd and small garage.

Without seeing your listing and knowing what the sold comps are in your neighborhood there is not a lot we can offer sounds like you have done everything your agents suggested.

What you can answer - what were the most recent sold comps in your neighborhood? What did your agents say about how you compared to the sold competition and to the homes just going on the market.

Trying to sell your home is not easy. I don't know how the TN laws work - such as attorney closings vs title company, so a local person will have to help with that. But as for marketing your home, other than a sign in the yard, what are you doing to sell the house? Do you have on-line ads? What are your showing arrangements? How are you screening potential buyers?

Post a link to your ad and we will be happy to take a look and to find your active competition.

More later.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charming for responding so fast. I'm sorry I haven't got back to you, but I had to work today.
As for houses that have sold in the neighborhood, one just sold up the stree for $198,000. Others have sold in the past for about $150's. The house that sold the other day was a bit bigger, but had no back yard. We have a beautiful back yard with a pool and a deck all the way around it.
Anyway, here is a site you can see the house

http://www.kaarmls.com/mls-search?OfficeID=503

The MLS # is 864901

Any input you can give us would be so appreciated. Thank you again for responding. Stephan Pappas

Posts: 6 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Feb 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Hi jetfan; I think you should look for a better realtor, one that will really promote your home's best qualities. When we were in TN and on the market, our first realtor who was just 'playing' realtor did NOthing! Our next realtor was a true pro and got several showings and then a sale.

Best of luck to you...I know how trying it all can be !!!

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks CJO,
We had two realators and they had a few open houses, but nothing grew out of them. Now, we are doing it ourselves and had more luck than with realators, but no one seems interested. We just want to find out WHY people don't want to buy the house. I don't think it is priced too high. We bought for $162,00 and added a Champion sun room for $21,000, new roof, new downstairs AC/ heat unit, had a settling problem and spent $7,000.00 to have that fixed.
Is our price too high? We don't think so, but maybe we are the only ones who think that. Thanks for your input.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Is this the realtor's listing because it is showing as active on your mls? It would help to take new photos with lights on. Most of the photos are too dark, plus I only saw one of your kitchen. Most of the photos are too close. Get the truck out of the driveway and take new photos from the street.

One other - get rid of sone of the artficial flowers and decorative items. If you really want the dining room light and ceiling fan, replace them now.

How easy is yourhouse to show?

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I'm just now seeing the pictures and I would advise to take down family photos in stairwell and all other personal pics; that's the very first thing realtors usually suggest. Also, move the exerciser from the bedroom.

And, put away all but a couple things on kitchen counters.

I would put away most everything decorative because it distracts the buyer, especially if it is not their taste. Use fresh flowers, fruit and/or new plants for decos.

Good curb appeal and the rooms look nice sized!

Good luck!

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion some of the photos make the rooms look small.
Px5- what is that large wood thing to the left in the photo. Remove everything from mantel except px on wall.
Px6- move the file cabinet next to the desk so it does not block the window.
In the kitchen the stuff on the frig is distracting. Also it looks like a purifier on the faucet. If it is take it off. Signifies bad water.
I would eliminate px 4 and 8 as they add nothing. Also take pot off sidewalk.

Cannot comment on price.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
After seeing your property. this is what I found
You really really need to declutter.
Take out all the pictures in the staircase. no need. by the fireplace again too many things in the walls. Did I see mismatch appliances in the kitchen? some white some stainless? take out the magnets from the door of the regrigerator. bathrooms ok. There is a bedroom with a gym equipment. take that out also. Is your pool an inground pool or not?
Again, for me and the Internet, it shows that is too clutter too much of everything. You may need to rent a space so you can take what you eventually will move with you. and take out as many things that you can. Yes, the less the better. People get confused with clutter. Will see now what are your sold comps. and please have someone take better pictures. of your home. no truck in your driveway, it takes away from your house. will come back when I find comps.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
It seems that around you, all the homes are smaller than yours, most of them are in the 1500sq feet size. according to Zillow they estimate your home at 158,00 which is too low, but I don't know the comps, you really need to have your realtor show you comps in your area.
To be honest, I think that you need to have a very good Realtor that will take better pictures of your home. you need to declutter a lot, and perhaps think about giving the selling agent a bonus for selling your home. by yourself, you may think that you are doing OK. but in the end. you home will simply stay put.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Some great advice so far.

The decision you have to make - Do you want to sell the house and how quickly?

As was mentioned - interview a couple of new real estate agents. You probably have a desk full of cards once you put the FSBO sign in the yard. Talk to some and ask for SOLD Comps. Also to give a run down on how the competition compares to your home.

With that info, remove the clutter and with new photos that show your house in bright light and you are in a better place to market the property. My one suggestion others did not mention - get rid of the window toppers. You have window coverings on all the windows, get rid of the extra fabric. Also - use plain towels in the bathrooms. The mismatched were distracting in the photo.

Now - the hard hard question - How much of a hit are you willing to take now in order to enjoy the grandkids and being close to family? To make an extra $10,000 is it worth missing another year?

Price it right and showcase it well and you should have better results.

Fun and Info

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Not sure about your market there, but our prices here are just coming back after the foreclosure crisis. Short sales and REO's (foreclosures were used for years as comps-- indeed brought prices and sellers to their knees in most parts of the U.S.
So would not blame that on the Realtors.

I looked at your listing and here are my thoughts..

**A good Realtor would NOT use this wording "seller motivated and relocating" - this will bring you low offers by buyers and the word "relocating" possible break ins. Remember this listing is public, and with private info. Here locally words like "relocating,"vacant", "motivated" are listed in "Realtor Only" remarks, only viewable by Realtors..

***Your home seems "dated" with your "furnishings" and "decor". Plus walls need decluttered. Take down the border in the light green BR.

***The photos are not professional. Part of the front of the house is cut off in the first picture. Buyers shop online--I would guess 80% of buyers....spend about 15-30 seconds looking at pictures. If they don't like the first photos guess what - they bypass you home and on to the next.

*** I would call a few Realtors, ask about your marketplace and invite them to your home for a price comparison...bringing true SOLD comps with them.

*** You'll be surprised to know many for sale by owners..give their equity away by pricing too low..and acting desperate.

Please understand these are my general thoughts, and I am just trying to be helpful to you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9281 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
REL, I guess we are all on the same plane of thought. Yes, she needs to completely declutter the house I know that Is difficult to see that. but she needs to understand that she has too many things in her walls. Yes, better pictures she really needs better pictures after she completely declutters Get a Realtor that will most definitely market that house according to the area. hoping that she will come back and share with us how is she doing.

posted Hide Post
Truly a beautiful home..just needs some staging tweaking..
and good sound Realtor pricing and marketing.

Hopefully..NOT MISSING THE SUMMER SEASON, WHEN FAMILIES MOVE TO GET KIDS SITUATED in new school.

posted Hide Post
Thank you real estate lady and thank you all for your input. We had two agents and one took a crooked picture of our house. His idea was as little info and pictures as possible. This will get them to the house and see it first hand. Of course we had no bites for 6 months until our contract ended. The first agent we had for over a year and she took a bunch of pictures and still, we had no bites. Now, we took the pictures and we are the agents. We have had eight prospects and two are very interested and we hopefully will have good news in a week or two. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
No excuse for that agent who took unprofessional photos.
However, times are better here and sounds like it is there as well.. with potential buyers. We are back in a sellers' market with more buyers than listings!!

Good luck to you..be sure you are aware of current SOLD comps (of like kind) incl. sq. heated footage as to not underprice your home.

Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I hope you sell soon, I know what that's like, we relocated for the exact same reason as you. I would just like to throw in my experience. I had my house on the market for what seemed like forever. I had "the best" realtor in the area, she brought over a professional photographer and brought me comps, the whole 9 yards. Once I listed with her I never heard from her again until my contract was up. I was forever trying to get hold of her for follow ups on showings and so on.
The second realtor happened to be my neighbor and not "the best" in town, but she worked hard, marketed it and suggested a buyers agent bonus of 1% at closing. It sold within a matter of a couple of weeks!

I agree that there are good realtors and not so good. We were so thrilled when we got the best agent in town to list our house and it was a huge mistake.

Good luck!

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post