Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Need help with final legwork
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with final legwork Sign In/Join 
Picture of JulianaMoon
posted
Hi!

I am planning on putting my house up as soon as I get done with a few more things. I have been preparing this house for 4 years to sell. Remodeled kitchen and bath and laundry room, (which is where the main entrance is), new windows, new everything!!! A long, tiring, expensive, overwhelming 4 years.

I am on the finishing touches cosmetically. I have 2 bedrooms with ugly paneled walls, which I planned on painting. The rooms looks like dungeons with the dark paneling and ugly sculptured carpet from the 60's that is 15 shades of brown. For all I know some of the browns could be skidmarks from my 2 chihuahua's little behinds. (kidding). It is ugly and has to go!! I also have some wall prep, as on of the walls is underneath an old chimney they built a cabinet around to hide, and the wall has "separated" and needs to be redone. The rest is cleaning, organizing, and just regular painting in the dining room and living room.

As luck would have it, I have torn 2 rotator cuffs and just had surgery on one, which is not healing well...most likely because I'm NOT a good patient. I live alone and can't just sit for 6 weeks doing nothing. I can't afford help, my ins. won't pay for in home health care or home services, so I do everything myself...against Dr.'s orders. I'm desperate to get this house on the market. I have no friends or family that can help me. I planned on doing the painting myself, but I cannot lift heavy things. Or move my arms in certain directions unless I am heavily Ibuprofined.

My question, finally, is this.

Are there any organizations or companies that will come in and do the final legworth with you? Help me with the painting, organizing, and pulling up carpet? Like a Jack or Jane of all trades, but focusing on prepping for real estate sales. I live in a rural area between two major cities. Angies list has nothing in this area. Is there a specific name for this kind of job, if it exists?

Thanks!!!!

Posts: 15 | Location: SE Tennessee | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not have to do all those things. You put the house on the market as it is and price it accordingly. You need to check out real estate agents and pick one.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Call your local board of Realtors and explain your sittution and ask if they have a program. Our Tampa Bay area Association has a "Paint your Heart Out" day where Realtors volunteer and team up to do whatever paintng is needed. Of course, there has to be a "need" and your story sounds applicable.

Do not sacrifice your health or be impatient to sell.

Many markets~~~ are on the upswing. Check your market.

Realtors usually know handymen they call when neded, who " may " be willing to get paid at closing for the painting.

Go ahead and call a few Realtors in your area to check out the market explaining that you are trying to get top dollar, but unable to finish the work yourself. Get their opinion and listen to what they have to offer in the way of solutions. Take the step.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9278 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JulianaMoon
posted Hide Post
Thankyou very much. I did ask him, and he said he might, so I will keep on him. We don't have any programs like that one you mentioned. I wish we did. I will call the Board of Realtors though. Maybe in the city they have a program like that. Thankyou very much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JulianaMoon,

Posts: 15 | Location: SE Tennessee | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JulianaMoon:
Hi!

I am planning on putting my house up as soon as I get done with a few more things. I have been preparing this house for 4 years to sell. Remodeled kitchen and bath and laundry room, (which is where the main entrance is), new windows, new everything!!! A long, tiring, expensive, overwhelming 4 years.

I am on the finishing touches cosmetically. I have 2 bedrooms with ugly paneled walls, which I planned on painting. The rooms looks like dungeons with the dark paneling and ugly sculptured carpet from the 60's that is 15 shades of brown. For all I know some of the browns could be skidmarks from my 2 chihuahua's little behinds. (kidding). It is ugly and has to go!! I also have some wall prep, as on of the walls is underneath an old chimney they built a cabinet around to hide, and the wall has "separated" and needs to be redone. The rest is cleaning, organizing, and just regular painting in the dining room and living room.

As luck would have it, I have torn 2 rotator cuffs and just had surgery on one, which is not healing well...most likely because I'm NOT a good patient. I live alone and can't just sit for 6 weeks doing nothing. I can't afford help, my ins. won't pay for in home health care or home services, so I do everything myself...against Dr.'s orders. I'm desperate to get this house on the market. I have no friends or family that can help me. I planned on doing the painting myself, but I cannot lift heavy things. Or move my arms in certain directions unless I am heavily Ibuprofined.

My question, finally, is this.

Are there any organizations or companies that will come in and do the final legworth with you? Help me with the painting, organizing, and pulling up carpet? Like a Jack or Jane of all trades, but focusing on prepping for real estate sales. I live in a rural area between two major cities. Angies list has nothing in this area. Is there a specific name for this kind of job, if it exists?

Thanks!!!!

Yes. there are many property management companies that will help you with the task. You can search for the one's serving your area, on Google.

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post