Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  artwork and photography
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

artwork and photography Sign In/Join 
posted
Ok, trying to sell my house fast. I'm going to remove all my personal photos, but what in the world to I replace them with???? What kind of photgraphs? I have a huge collage of the kids and large photo of 2 of the kids in the playroom. What do I put in there? Currently in the living room I have 2 small b&w photos of the white dandelions. Should I remove those?

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I personally don't think it necessary to have a lot on walls, if staging for a sale. I would rather see the bones of the room.

If one declutters the room, the walls in the room are also less important to decorate for balance, imho. Photos of nature and your dandelions should be fine. If it seems strange or not large enough, perhaps you can borrow some "decorative prints" from a friend or neighbor for a couple of months. They may just have some stored away in a closet.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Conrad - I'd go for decorative prints, e.g. nature or art. Yes, you typically want to stick to larger sizes. Multiple small pieces of decorative prints feel like collections and sometimes clutter, making a room feel small. Agree, you definitely don't need to do every wall but I'd try to do the major ones.

The sizes should be in scale with the room or space in order to make a space feel larger and more expansive. Another technique is the judicious use of decorative mirrors, properly placed, to expand the size of the home. For example, as a buyer enters, a large scale mirror placed fairly low over the back of a couch in a front seating area may open up and expand an entire space, including a seating area, dining space, etc. Placement's very important.

Both mirrors and art or nature prints can be purchased fairly inexpensively. You might need to (DIY) frame the basic mirrors, however. Or, as Conrad mentioned, you can borrow them from friends and family. If your agent has a stager their office frequently works with, sometimes they will share, too. If you do purchase a few items, it's not a bad idea to select fairly generic items in sizes that will work in your next home.

Sometimes you can use personal items as wall art, too, as long as they're sparingly used. You might consider 1 guitar angled on the wall in a teenager room or a couple of giant oars angled in the great room of a vacation home near the lake.

WRT your playroom, hopefully you've painted the walls in a light neutral, e.g. grey, and can then select a couple of colorful prints in your accent colors.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

P.S. For staging purposes, you may want to consider restaging the playroom as either a bedroom (if it has a closet), den or an office. Depends how many br's you have and who your expected/average, most likely purchaser might be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 532 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought actually was about turning the playroom back into a bedroom, but the realtor didn't seem to think it would matter. I live in a small town and people here don't really seem to care about stuff like that. I might though. It's tough though because it's a very small house and that room is the only place I really have for the kids to play in. It is all arranged on shelves neatly and I'm also going to pack away about half of it still.

Dandelions aren't too tacky? I know they're technically weeds, but I love them. I have a great passion for photography, it's my hobby. Art, however, I'm horrible at. Trying to figure out what I could photograph or already have that I could use in that room. The one wall really needs something (other than my adorable kids). I wish I could borrow something from someone, but my inlaws just have religious stuff, my mom just has wrestling posters, and I have no friends. Makes it hard.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The fact that you live in a small town helps. Most folks interested in buying will probably be fine with whatever you put on your walls....or not.

I mean this in a good way. Practical and basic are often attributes if there are not a lot of choices/selections for sale at any one time, if the town is smaller. Plus they may just already know you? Smile

Keep house, especially kitchen/bathrooms clean and de-clutter as much as you can. Then people will find your home welcoming and possibly where they would also imagine they would like to live. Don't sweat the stuff on the walls, is my advice.

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The last home that I sold, I had it painted therefore I had removed everything from the walls, wasn't going to put back any holes, it sold within three days.
They don't come to your home to see what pictures you have on your walls.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mully, I'm sure your photography is terrific. My concern wasn't about the subject matter (dandelions) but about the scale. If the prints are small, then they make your room feel small. Please post photos of your home and the dandelion prints plus any other prints you're considering. Without them, we really can't give you the best answer to your query.

Needless to say, I disagree with your realtor about the playroom v. bedroom question, especially if your home is smaller. Sorry to say it but most buyers lack creativity and don't consider the possibilities for rooms.

So, if a seller has a 3br home but 1 room's a den, I will typically hear people walk thru a home and later call it the 2br + den. They may not notice the closet that makes it a legal bedroom. The staging sticks with them and it's always the "2br + den" home to them.

Can your kids play in the room with a bed in the room? Or, outside more during the summer and fall?

WRT the artwork, you might think about Craigslist, garage sales or freecycle. Do you have a staging budget? Can you purchase a few things, including a couple of inexpensive mirrors to be used in your new home? You can certainly use your photography for part of it.

Many different items can be framed, e.g. nice postcards, calendar covers, pressed flowers, etc. Do you have a Michael's store? They have inexpensive prints and standard-sized frames. Have you blown up any of your own photos to larger scale?

If you post photos, I can (hopefully) help you determine the walls that definitely need something. It's probably only 1-2 per room. In addition, with photos, you'll probably receive many more relevant, helpful comments.

I applaud you for trying and doing your best to stage your home. Staging isn't about just 1 item, e.g. artwork, but creating an overall psychological, subconscious feeling such that a buyer falls in love with your home within a minute or two of entering it.

Once they fall in love, you as a seller have them. They'll pay whatever it takes and outbid anyone to have your home. Needless to say, that's when you maximize your market value. So, a staging budget may make financial sense for you.

Best of luck, it's JMHO

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Every market is different, just as every potential buyer. Best of luck for a quick sale.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conrad:
Every market is different, just as every potential buyer.

Yes, we may stage slightly differently based on the market and the most likely potential buyer.

No, not "every potential buyer" is different. They may believe they are but no, in general, they're not. The purpose of staging is to appeal to the largest number of potential buyers, possible, within that market.

Sellers who say they're just hoping to find that one, unique buyer that will love their property usually have the highest days-on-market total, in my experience. They have a long wait, unfortunately.

In general, every potential buyer loves fresh, clean and new. WRT walls, they may not consciously realize that the large art print makes the great room feel slightly greater - or that the mirror, strategically placed, bounces light around the room, giving it that open, airy feeling.

Overall, basic staging principles are effective from region to region, market to market and neighborhood to neighborhood.

JMHO

posted Hide Post
mully, I'd enjoy seeing your photos (the dandelions) and any other photos from your personal photography collection that you'd like to share.

If you can post pics of your home, that'd be great, too. I'm sure you'd receive add'l, good suggestions, too.

You might want to start a new thread for your pics.

Best of luck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mully, you are probably better than you think. Good photography IS art.

Dandelions are not tacky. A weed is something that grows where you do not want it to grow. That does not mean they are not pretty.

I think you have watched too much HGTV. Homes sell all the time without doing staging and a lot of other things. It does make it easier, and maybe faster, if you make your home look as light and airy and clean as possible (for most people, not all). Please do not sweat the small stuff like pictures. Just clean, clean clean and declutter.

Like AquaBella, I would like to see your pictures if you want to share.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SurfNow:
mully, I'm sure your photography is terrific.

Please post photos of your home and the dandelion prints plus any other prints you're considering.

You can certainly use your photography for part of it.

Have you blown up any of your own photos to larger scale?

In addition, with photos, you'll probably receive many more relevant, helpful comments.

Same here, mully, as I said a couple of days ago (see above). Would love to see your photos. In fact, I returned to the mb's/site tonight, hoping to see them.

BTW, if you're having trouble posting them here, let us know and someone will help you out.

Hope all is well. Best of luck to you -

posted Hide Post
Would love to see your photos, too.

Good luck with your house.

Posts: 593 | Registered: Feb 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surfnow, how do you pick just certain sentences out of a long post without it looking like you did? I don't know,how to do that.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I will post some pictures later or tomorrow if I can still find them on my computer and will take photos of the house. Heading to family thing right now. :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mully4235,