Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Sure glad we didn't go with condo living...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sure glad we didn't go with condo living... Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
When we sold out and moved to Florida, I was seriously wanting to consider a condo, but DH said he wasn't ready for 'community' living. I am so glad, because we are currently living in a condo and I don't like it all that well.

It's a very nice, small gated community, but it is really hard to get used to after living in a house in the country. I think the main thing is that we live in a downstairs unit and we hear the upstairs folks alot. It isn't baaaddd, it's just different...washer/dryer right about our dining area...they had a dog for awhile and they sometimes put it out on the patio and it diddddd nottttt like that; lol!!

Just some things to consider if you are thinking of going to a condo.

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I hear ya...

That's why we bought a Townhouse = No neighbors above or below us.

While we are pretty close to our "next-door" neighbors, the walls are so thick, we don't hear a sound on either side.

DH and I are loving the no-maintenance life! Smile

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think any major life style change of living, should really be researched. I would also recommend renting for at least a short time to see if it fits your life style and needs. I think is especially true if you are considering a residence change to a whole new city, town or state.

Neighbor (senior) recently sold her neighborhood home due to the expense of keeping up half an acre of lawn. She purchased a townhome, and is miserable. No friendly neighbors, lonely, the homes all look exactly alike. She is very sorry she made that decision.

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have friends who live in a townhouse and all the fronts look the same also and problem is they have recessed doors and the numbers for each unit are only allowed to be displayed on the doors and the doors all have to be the same color .I have to make them park there car in the driveway so i can find there unit ,which is also not allowed by there rules .I just hope no one buys a car the same color and same type as there's and parks in the driveway ,could be a slight problem ,they may end up with a new friend .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I have lived in high-rise condos and coops, townhomes, and single family detached homes in various states and communities. All have their pros and cons. Also, it takes a period of adjustment when a change in residence or community occurs.

I agree that renting in a community before purchasing a home is a very wise decision.
Also, making friends and being neighborly in a new community takes time and also a willingness to meet one another half way.

And

Posts: 5244 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I think by only mentioning the extremes gives the idea of condo or townhome living a bad name.

Conrad's neighbor should realize that she also needs to make an effort to meet neighbors. I'm sure she was not immediately close friends with everyone who lived in her old neighborhood.

Sissy77 - That can happen in many different communities. Part of the purchase contract here we can request as part of the offer a copy of the community bylaws. That way a buyer is informed about these things before going in.

When driving through a new neighborhood - does it look like the homes of the Stepford Wives? Does the sameness bother you? If it does - walk away. They are not going to change for you.

Thinking about buying in a building with upstairs, downstairs neighbors? Visit the unit at different times of he day and find out how well the building is constructed.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree that my neighbor really should have researched a bit more, to find out what her townhouse community was like, and the neighbors.
Hers is a more upscale housing community, with working couples, working singles and people who tend to travel a lot.

Thus a retired senior who is more of a homebody is a bit lost/lonely. Also the lack of view bothers her. She can only look out in two directions (and both just look out on more white residences exactly like her own) Why she or her family did not take this into consideration, I have no idea.

Condos and Townhomes are a great option...for some.
For others of us the visual sameness, rules, and group living is not what we look forward to. That said, we are also about fed up with the weekly yard work, expense of taking care of it, and are moving to a half acre with natural grasses/wildflowers and rocks. I will gladly let the elk mow the lawn. Wink

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Remember townhouse is a "style" of building.

It can be a condominium or not, depending on how the development orignated.

A quick distinction..is ..look at the legal description, if it says for example lot #__1_ and block # _4_, Holy Cow Community .. it is a townhouse and can "usually" go FHA with 3 1/2% minimum down.. and you owe the land beneath.

If the legal says...Unit _8_Bldg.__12_ and 199___% of common elements Pilet Shores Community it is a condo, and this condo could be a one story unit or two story townhouse style. Financing may require 20% down with current lending restrictions on condos.

So look for the legal description, or ask for

Best to do a little research before buying a townhouse or condo..with neighbors. Assessments and how many times has HOA gone up in what time frame. NOthing worse than to get to closing and finding out their is an additional assessment for another 6 months for an extra 100 because they are putting roofs on. That is just an example. Assessments should be disclosed in the MLS. Also ask you Realtor to double check on HOA dues and assessments before making an offer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9239 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters if you pick a condo, townhouse or single family home, if you are looking for a friendly area. We have been here 9 years and I ride my bike every day or evening. People in this area know who I am. I see these people who live here on most of my trips and I say hello, I have yet to get a response from most of the neighbors. One night I said hello to 5 people without one response back. I do not know any of the people on my street and when I wave I get the same response as when I am riding by them. ZERO. My Dh and I are now thinking about moving to another area and hoping for friendly people who can at least say hello.

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the few people in my neighborhood who don't wave back..I now honk my horn at them. HA.

Most do wave, and I don't know how people can go
through life not being friendly. I am an Alabama girl so I smile and wave at everybody, give money to those in need on the street, and randomly ought two for one ice cream at the grocery , only to leave one to the next in line.
I think nothing of it..it feels good. I bought a pair of jean for a T.J. Maxx cashier last Christmas, because he admired the same pair I bought for my son. We had had a prior brief conversation about his school and work difficulty..and trying to do both the bestt he could..

I mean hey, my mother told me when I was a kid if you look mean -- your face will grow that way!!

FLboy--have you explored Tarpon Springs? What a neat friendly place..

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Real Estate Lady, Yes, we have been to Tarpon Springs, we just drove around though.I did love Duneedin, which I think is near by. I think we may start to look in Venice. We have done so much work here and I love this home, but....

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Dunedin. Rich in heritage bordered by tranquil Gulf of Mexico views.

Venice iteself is pretty expensive but if if you go any North of there to Englewood, quite reasonable.

Cheapest real estate in the Tampa Bay area is New Port Richey area if you want coastal. A lot of bang for the buck. Baby boomers there sport vettes..fun.!!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Real Estate Lady. I think we will be looking in Venice , in Venice Island area. I love that area and I can still travel to Siesta Key when I want to from there. The prices here have picked up so that we may get out with out too much of a loss. The homes in the area where I live are selling in a matter of 2 weeks.

html

posted Hide Post
..and market is increasing too.. you'll be fine.

Picture of DebiinFL
posted Hide Post
I lived in Dunedin for about 6 weeks while I was waiting for my house. Cute town (great restaurants), very dog friendly. Older town and when the snowbirds come, the town changes alot. I loved living there for 6 weeks, but was never tempted to try to buy there... GREAT place to visit, though..... People were very nice there. Where I bought, the neighbors are incredibly friendly, and everyone walks... Mostly people are working, but there are some retired people here. Extremely friendly area - I was surprised (not sure why)...

Posts: 144 | Registered: May 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have to say, that one of the things that I like about condos is the maintenance free situation, but every time that I think about the maintenance fee, I back off.
My granddaughter bought a condo and her monthly maintenance fee has gone up quite substantially in a period of 4 years.
I rather pay a mortgage. and pay for someone to come in and do whatever. of course I wouldn't buy a house on 3 acres, but there are many single small homes that I wouldn't mind having.
there was a retirement community in So.California that had very small single homes, that were pretty much maintenance free. they could have lawn in the front if they wanted or some have very neat small gravel with plants etc, they were free to decorate their front and very small yards as they wished.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you liked living at UNI and EVERYTHING your flat mates done a condo is for you! Wink

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You always run the risk with noise on Condos and Townhomes. Good to ask neighbors about noise pollution. LOL. They'll know about how thin the walls are.

Wish I have have asked when I rented before I bought my current dream home on the Bay. A tenant
next door had the ability to knock the headboard into the wall in the middle of the night. !*#!!

A good solution is a free standing villa..or zero lot line home..

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just some things to consider if you are thinking of going to a condo.

Eons ago when condos were hypoed as new & bestest real estate buy, my dad said "it's just a more expensive apartment with strings...."
Lol, a refurbished aging hotel with an unobstructed view of SanFran bay....had I embrased the condo hype and purchased, sold it yesterday I'd be rich! (same-o if I'd bought stock in Starbucks in the 80s, or Ford when the stock market tanked...whine!)

From a Senior's perspective, when my friends & I can no longer drive we plan to RENT an apartment in an independent living facility...my 95 YO aunite is thriving! As "the market" focuses on baby boomers's needs and wants I expect the same or better for me......
I can putter in my patio garden, participate in actvities, or choose to run away Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tessa89,

Posts: 5029 | Location: NE of S.F. | Registered: Apr 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I dream of a studio that I can rent, big enough for my bed,TV, and similar amenities. A Murphy bed would be wonderful.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread was posted A YEAR AGO.

Posts: 6956 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Is that bad? or good? Maybe some folks are new, or just now having info they want to share Wink

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few add on things to the to do list if you are shopping for a condo. Get a copy of the condo docs, and current budget. Look at how many times the HOA fee has gone up,over what period of time, and what services
were deleted from that fee. Talk to the neighbors,.. about these things. Oh, yea it happens.. things change..they no longer pay water...for instance, and oh yea, that was voted on at our last meeting.
Check on fire walls..which I would not buy a townhouse without a fire wall between units.
Firewalls are becoming a thing of the past in the construction industry, unfortunately.

posted Hide Post
Firewalls are code here and if you don't have one you don't pass inspection. You also need to check to see how many units are empty or gone into foreclosure. A friend has a condo in Florida that he's trying to sell but can't because lots of them are in foreclosure and the HOA fees are out the roof because they had to go up since lots of empty condos.

Posts: 1117 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My investor buyers have enjoyed buying upper crust condos during the market slide, however they pay cash and don't face financing contingences such as rent to owner occupied ratios.. An advantage of paying cash. Surprisingly the condo foreclosures I have sold in gated communities were in fairly good condition. However there are those condos which have sat, with no air circulation with popped wood floor and mold because the seller bank didn't want to spend the money for utilities..unfortunately. Seller banks have learned their lesson however and not so much the case today.. To date, I know of no condominiums in my marketplace with HOA increases from market slide, foreclosures, short sales etc. To add
condo assoc. in this state are able to foreclose due to HOA arrearages, and re sell for profit.

Markets are rising here in the sunshine state, but you can still get a great deal!