Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  New agent or ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New agent or ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Our property has been on the market for over a year. MLS 21405230. It is a home on a commercial piece of property - however we don't hold a occupancy certificate. I've asked the agent to modify the listing to attract a regular family but still hasn't changed it. We also discussed changing the price but still after a week it hasn't been done. I know this property is in a confused state. It sits in an area with businesses and next to an apartment complex. Busy main street with freeway access. Just don't know what to do? I hope after your review I can get some direction. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AZ, if you're having a communication issue with your agent, then you need to contact him/her to work it out. Without first-hand knowledge of your work with him/her over the past year+, I can't critique his/her performance.

Why don't you have a COO? (Sometimes a COO isn't required if the use wasn't changed.) Did you alter the property to change its use but neglect to obtain the proper permits and complete inspections?

Problem is, it's highly likely that a buyer may be unable to obtain financing. Without availability of financing, it may be (basically) impossible to sell your property.

If the property's been on the market for over a year, have you worked on any of these issues during that time? What's your agent's opinion of the situation?

Now for some frank commentary - please stop reading if you don't care to hear an honest opinion -

If you were a potential buyer reviewing the listings online, would you do a drive-by (let alone a physical tour) of your home after seeing the main online photo of your home, i.e. the driveway, complete with garbage cans, vehicles and gravel? Any showings recently?

I don't know who's responsible for the photos but I highly recommend you have them redone. They're definitely not displaying your home in its best light. I realize it's mixed use but do you have a front door with a porch or something that you could stage to attract potential buyers? At minimum, you can do a few things to improve the driveway's curb appeal.

Although the interior of your home appears generally clean, there are still many things you could do to improve the staging and its overall appearance. Let me know if you'd like a few staging tips.

Most buyers start online and they're trying to limit their future time investment by eliminating properties. Your photos, IMHO, would probably result in a quick elimination.

At this point in time, your listing would be considered stale - and then some. Given the issues you described, the best answer might be taking it off the market to resolve a few things.

All of the above is JMHO.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 536 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. I will try and be as nice as I can about my agent. Sometimes its hard when putting into print. I found my agent after doing research and he was one of the most well known/sold more/experience agent via the internet. We signed on and he said to clean the place up and I did and he came back and took pictures. As far as the business property goes - we purchased this property because it allows my husband to park his trucks on the lot and that is what we use it for. We were never told/knew anything else was necessary since we don't really have anyone here. We had someone look at it but when they found out we didn't hold a cert. it was done since they have people in and out. My realtor didn't know nor ask but when this happened it changed the game. I've asked him to change the listing and it's been over a month and it still hasn't happened. I have been very polite and for the 1st 6 months never called after that about 1 time every 3 months for status updates and over the last month about 1 time every 2 weeks to get things fixed. I have to leave messages and he rarely calls back. I had my husband call him from his phone and he answered...but not from my lines..hum. I appreciate your honesty and that's what needs to be to get this property sold. It's unfortunate but in the many years we have lived here I still can't figure our what to do with the main living area since it is shaped so odd. I think the my agent thinks a business will come in and just knock the building down and that's ok with me. A couple of years ago the Dollar Store just cross the street purchased a property with a fountain shop on it - tore it down and built. That's what we were all hoping for. It sold for about $300, and was half the size of our property. This is why it's so confusing - any additional help is much appreciated! Thanks for taking time in doing this.

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
What nice family wants to pay commercial property taxes.
In addition, zoning won't allow family use. You have to change the zoning. The property needs to be sold to a business. Your agent is doing the right thing.

Do you need a price reduction to get it sold? Talk to your agent!

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be different here because the city came out and reviewed our property and deemed it was being used as a family home - which it always has so it dropped my taxes about 75% and gave me a refund a few years ago of 3 years overpayment.

posted Hide Post
You are really in a pickle. You have a family home on a commercial lot. You do know your agent has this listed as a tow yard? I do feel sorry for you.

I don't see any reason a family just would not go down the street to a traditional home on a small lot and pay half the price. There in lies your dilemma and I don't see how you can change that.

If you don't like your agent you should change. Perhaps go back to the agency you had before this one? Did you have any trouble with them except that they could not sell it?

Posts: 7309 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to your zoning department with your Realtor and find out "what" the property is zoned for. If the town or city returned tax money or lowered taxes may they may have reclassified the property. Get the facts, then proceed..instead of swimming in confusion. so to speak..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
Go to your zoning department with your Realtor and find out "what" the property is zoned for. If the town or city returned tax money or lowered taxes may they may have re- classied the property. Get the facts, then proceed..instead of swimming in confusion. so to speak..

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your comments. I will be calling my agent one more time and if he doesn't return my call I will call the office and ask for the actual broker. I will also go to the zoning area and see what my options are. I hope to release the agency and try something else - maybe sell on my own with a type of help you sell. And if that doesn't pan out I'll contact another realtor company. Wish me luck!

posted Hide Post
Even if the property has been re-zoned back to family, who wants to live in a industrial/business zone.

Ask the zoning dept. their thoughts. If it was RE-CLASSIFIED family, you could certainly rent the house to someone to get imcome, with a agreement to"show".

What is confusing here is why the agent is advertising it as business zoning if it not
zoned for such.

You want to get highest and best price. MAKE A TRIP TO YOUR LOCAL ZONING OFFICE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
If your agent is not proving satisfactory services , then you must consider hiring new agents and take their help in selling the property .

Morris Real Estate

Posts: 9 | Location: Killeen | Registered: Jul 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The listing has expired and we are still trying to figure this mess out. He has brought in 2 lookers in one year and they are always right as the listing just expired. I wait a week or so to see if I hear from him and then call to ask ?'s about the customer. I have not went to look for someone else to list it because this guy is one of the top agents here - Thanks - just scared to move on - there are so many who want to list it but will anyone really follow thru?

posted Hide Post
Did you go to the zoning office to see what the property is currently zoned for?

posted Hide Post
I have been to the zoning office and all it takes is a letter to make it usable for different uses. It's really no big deal. I just saw this - sorry it took so long to answer.

posted Hide Post
And it's really not a industrial area. There is apartments next door a school down the street. It is a mixed use area. Thanks for your comments!