Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  38 left to sell...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38 left to sell... Sign In/Join 
posted
We bought a new house, contingent upon the sale of our current home. We only have 38 days left to get an offer in!

Any ideas on what more we could do?

We have had 3 showings, and 2 second showings. Every single person that has come through has said it's absolutely amazing, and they love it. So, we're not too sure why we're not getting any traffic or offers.

Listing is in MLS with a great realtor, and professional photos.

The home has been on the market 17 days, and hasn't had a new showing in 13 days. It's been completely quiet. No calls or emails to the realtor.

It's priced ultra competitively, and has more upgrades than the other homes alike for sale in the neighborhood. (2 total homes for sale with this exact floor plan. We have over $30,000 in upgrades- pavered private courtyard, wood floors, white maple cabinets, granite, upgraded fixtures from pottery barn- we are $5,000 less than the other listing, and listed exactly at the last sold comp in the neighborhood of this home). Word of mouth is that our house looks and shows much nicer than the other listed. (I should add that the other home isn't getting showings either). We had an open house last week and not one person came through.

I've repainted, retouched up the place, and try so incredibly hard to keep it as clean as possible all the time. (I do though, have 2 small boys under the age of 5). Lawn is always manicured. When there is a showing, it's always been in 100% condition with no traces of kids (apart from their rooms- which are even extremely de-culttered) and pets. I've moved out furniture, moved out dressers, de cluttered, taken down a lot of personal photos and touches. I think I've done all the right steps. I'm obviously missing something. Anything anyone can think of?

Our market in AZ isn't "hot" but we weren't under the impression it was "cold" either. Home is in a really nice community, listed at $285,000. 2111 sq feet, 3 bed 2 bath plus den AND bonus room (has to be called a bonus room and not a bedroom- could have been a 'shop' in the side of garage, but when we built the home we chose to turn it into a bonus room. has no door or closet- so legally can't be called bedroom #4, even though it could easily be made into one in the future). Large kitchen and great room, large 16'x20' master has sitting area. 400 sq foot private courtyard with custom shade sail and iron gate. Pavered patio extension to the back covered patio.

We added today in our MLS listing that we will pay $5,000 towards closing costs AS WELL AS a $3000 realtor bonus if we get a full price offer. (and honestly, we would pay ALL closing costs if need be at the current price. We could also go down a little on our price) It's been priced competitively, with a little room for negotiating.

Any ideas on how to get more traffic? Any ideas how to get it sold? Help and thanks!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alikatgrrl,

AZ

Posts: 11 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 17 days on the market?

If you want to sell it fast you have to lower your price. It has to be a bigger bargain than anything else. Not what you wanted to hear i know.

Posts: 7284 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Drop the closing costs offer. If the buyer needs closing cost they will ask for it. Why give it away.
In addition, drop the "full price off the Realtor bonus line...and change bonus to $1,000. You are looking too desperate.

Remember when you do get an acceptable offer, there is going to be a buyers home inspection (if they are smart), and you may need some repair money.

Give the market a chance, Open Houses sell.
Make sure your Realtor works weekends!

Walk through your home like a buyer. Now what's missing? Mismatched appliances,a cracked tile,
colors too bright? Be critical.

If you give your MLS no. here, we can look through the pictures and help with advice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9311 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

The home was built in 2009, so luckily there are no major repairs. A friend of ours is a home inspector, and already walked through for us and did an inspection. Obviously, I would hope the buyer use their own inspector... but it's nice to know that it's already good to go.

I guess the realtor suggested we add the closing costs and bonus is to get the house moving. We have LOTS of homes for sale in our neighborhood and we're trying to make it stand out.

This weekend was rough. No traffic in the open house apart from curious neighbors. Everyone says it's super nice... but no bites.

Praying this week is better. I know we have to give the market a chance, but it's so hard when you're given such a short contingency.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alikatgrrl,

AZ

Posts: 11 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sellers sometimes put themselves in positions "for stress"..BY buying before selling. Sometimes the Realtor does.

I highly recommend to buyers," when sellers", ...to wait for a contract;have your Realtor double check lender to make sure they are good to go; AND double check comps(SOLDS) to make sure you will have no appraisal problems.ALWAYS TRY TO NEGOTIATE AT CONTRACT.. EXTRA TIME AFTER CLOSING.. FOR MOVING...

posted Hide Post
Okay here's a few problems...not much yard for kids to play or pets to run. Looks like a zero lot line neighborhood-or maybe 50 ft..wide lots. Those things you can't change.

Here's things you can change. Delete word "desert" from MLS listing. Buyers internationally are looking at your listing and they may be passing up your listing because THEY ARE THINKING THEY DONT WANT TO LIVE OUT IN THE DESERT.I lived in Phoenix at the end of 7th not far from you and it is not desert.

Aso you have distractions in the house. Remove smaller piecse of furniture and photos and misc. from rooms. Pull your LR furniture out about 5 inches from the walls. Change heavy dining table for glass top with six chairs. Rectangular. Too bad I'm not there..I would lend you mine. Add larger flower landscaping, and pressure wash driveway. Some of the photos are on the darker sides. I would retake after changes.Set up your table and chairs outside under the cabana, and add outdoor plants.

Just my thoughts..

suggest you.get with your agent for recent sold comps and price. You may have to go a bit under to overcome yard factor.

On second thought.. Maybe...Blow up your Realtor bonus to $2500 in Realtor remarks and add "motivated sellers- bought another home" to Public remarks.

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much REL.

Yes, it's a small lot. All the lots in the community are this size, so that is one thing on our side. Most of the homes for sale have a built in BBQ or something similar so they actually have NO yard space. Ours is rare in that there is some yard space. It's a 16 foot set back from the fence, and 7 feet on each side.

I have already taken many of the personal touches out, and moved a lot of the furniture to make it feel much more open. Will be on the lookout for a new table stat! Thank you.

We have added TONS of pots with flowers and will definitely wash the front driveway. Thanks.

I will be having new photos done near the end of the week. Thanks for all the tips.

AZ

posted Hide Post
So see, with that 16 ft. set back. most likely.no buyer can build a pool.. in my opinion.

Have faith ~~you will sell...is there a penalty to extend your contingency period with your builder? If not, why don't you extend now. Take the pressure off yourself and reduce stress.

As far as a table..maybe you can exchange with a friend for the purposes of showing.

Look into it.

posted Hide Post
alikatgrrl, I agree with REL's comments and had a few more of my own, if you're interested. Let me know.

I took a quick look at your area and you face tons of competition, including new builds, ss's, f/c's, etc. I believe it's a pricing issue.

For one thing, comps s/b based, in general, on actual closed sales, only - not current listings. Looks like your market recovered but may be on a slight downward trend.

WRT your pending purchase, if you're 100% certain you'll be able to purchase the new home, another option would be to increase your deposit to essentially purchase another 30-60 days - hopefully 60.

Your home is lovely and beautifully staged. That said, if I were a buyer in your area, I might not tour it b/c of the price. If you'd like to talk about it further, let me know.

Posts: 532 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post