Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Unrealistic Expectations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unrealistic Expectations? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
I love, love love reading MLS listings and some of the restrictions placed on showing a property. I'm not talking the not unusual request to remove shoes, or the legal request for 24 hour notice to show a tenant occupied listing but the one the shout - hey, I'll do you a favor and sell you my house - listings. The following is in the Agent to Agent instructions of a recently expired listing. BTW - the home owner has had the property listed off and on since 2010:

Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

"All buyers must be pre-approved with Joe Blow from ABC Mortgage Company PRIOR to previewing home and copy of that preapproval given to listing agent when appointment is made. --- Price is non-negotiable - seller requests no offers unless listing price and/or above to be presented to him.

24 hour notice prior to showing is required. This is a tenant occupied property"

Alright - post the listings you've seen that screams - I DON'T WANT TO SELL MY HOUSE?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3497 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I just have to wonder about the agent that agrees to take on a listing with such restrictions. Don't they realize that the seller has practically eliminated the entire buying pool? Any money spent on marketing will be a waste.

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charming, I just had to laugh when I read your "MLS excerpt" but sadly it is true ~ basically the seller is flat out saying "I don't want to sell...."

When I see those types of restrictions, I figure that, for some reason, the seller feels forced into "selling" (maybe because of a divorce situation, financial problems or other) so they are going through the motions of complying with the need to sell and still making sure that it won't happen.

Jewell, I'm with you ~ why would any agent agree to list a property with restrictions that almost guarantee that a closing will never occur? Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should be fun!

Quite awhile ago, someone posted a blog that featured real estate "bloopers." This blog was written in such a funny manner and posted completely weird photos of real estate listings and also provided the link to the listings, etc. It's where I used to go when I really wanted to take a break from life--the author was so, so funny and the photos were hilarious.

Sadly, the blog merged into like some sort of parent blog--it wasn't as funny after that--and when I went to check the last time, she has stopped doing it completely. The original name of the blog was either "It's Lovely, I'll Take It" or "Lovely Listing" and the author was names Sara. If there are still archives, the older ones, they're worth a look.

Anyway, looking forward to reading the funnies you guys post here. :-)

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom - I've seen links to it before. A s an agent I have to be careful about posting photos from our MLS (photos are the property of the agent who posted them). There are some great ones locally I would love to post.

This particular listing - I know the neighborhood - this house is priced over twice the most recent sale. They completely over built for the neighborhood.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3497 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Charming as you and I know~~ requiring a buyer to pre-qual through.. or apply for a mortgage with.. a particular lender is against Federal Regulations.
What are agents thinking? I see the same language here in MLS remarks.

I understand listing agents don't want unqualified buyers trapsing through the property, however some of these buyers have relatives with cash more than willing to help family members. Quite common in the international marketplace.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
CCM- Oh, I remember those pictures. What a crack-up!

Posts: 9253 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post