Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  Small home, on the market 4 months, no bites. Help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small home, on the market 4 months, no bites. Help? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi All!

First time posting here, first time home seller as well!

Long story short, we were taken advantage of when we bought our first home 3 years ago. Realtor pushed us to buy the house for a high price, we didn't know better and purchased the house at it's assessed value.

Now we are trying to sell our first home due to employment and career opportunities. We have had our home on the market for 4 months, and only had 2 showings. We have it priced 20K below what we paid for it 3 years ago (assessed value then). I know the price tag MUST be the main reason people are not looking- but the 2 bedroom 1 bath is not great either.

Our realtor doesn't believe in open houses and won't do one. He said he would print out flyers and give us cards and we could do one. My husband and I are planning to do one in July. Never have been to an open house, or had one so any advice would be great!

Our realtor also doesn't believe in Zillow or Trulia. Since we found this house on Zillow we feel strongly it should be on these sites. Realtor only put the very minimum up for us, but won't put anymore up- even when we offer to pay. Are these sites really not worth it?

On the upside- the house is really cute, and has some fantastic landscaping. Its all hardwood floors and tile, and the back deck is really fantastic. It's great because its different - but it's also bad because it's different.

Any advice on what we can do? We are pretty much as low as we can go in price right now.. Are we just out of luck?

Here's the listing:

http://www.realtor.com/realest...654-21999?source=web

Thank you!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go with a discount broker you should not be surprised that you get discount service. If you want more you will need to change brokers and go with a full service broker.

Assessment value and market value have nothing to do with each other.

I looked at homes for sale in your zip code and it appears you are still over priced. Can you stay where you are longer?

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Discount Brokers are just that..discounted commission and discounted services - not worth it! You do not get quality at a five and dime store, right?
The problem with discounted services is they expect to seller to assist.
If the seller is over-zealous in selling the sale is out the window, if there is a chance to sell. The seller may be working when the perfect buyer comes along- and the seller is going to be pro-seller when trying to negotiate a price. Get my drift?

Assessed value is not market value. Best recommendation for a full service Broker is from friends. Check around or call one of the major players,
ReMax, Century 21, Prudential- they are full service.

I looked at your pictures, what is on the ceilings - looks like stone or something. Also dark ceilings do not give height. Ceiling should be white in my opinion.

Part of the problem is neutral interior color and picture presetation as well.

There you have it - in a nutshell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, we went with the discount broker- i should have mentioned that right away. They actually have really great ratings online, and the realtor was really fantastic when we interviewed him. Said we would be on Zillow and Trulia- and that we would have open houses. And then we signed... and then we realized we made a mistake.

As soon as our contract ends, we will go off the market and go for a full service broker.

The in the "living room" has tin on it- and your right, I think the house looks dark and not that great. We actually have high ceilings! I swear! We were just talking about repainting in neutral tones in some of the more "loud" areas of the house (kitchen!).

and- yes, we can stay here for awhile. I think that might be our only option at this point.

Thanks again

posted Hide Post
Four months isn't a long time to be on the market so don't get discouraged. I agree about getting another agent when your listing runs out.

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think your colors are all that bad but your tin ceiling is. Did you apply a darkening agent to it? Can you remove it? It should be kind of shiny.

Also do not tie curtains in the middle of the window. It blocks the light. Slide it to the side with a tie back if necessary to not block the window.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QuinnFrank, Welcome to the Real Estate Boards ~ glad you have posted and, you might be happy to learn that your situation isn't at all unusual -unfortunately.

Anytime someone promises that you will be listed on X number of sites and have open houses ~ THEN, once you sign, pay and are obligated for x amount of time they say, sorry, not happening ~ it's a bad sign. No, actually, it's not just a bad sign; it's a clear indication that things aren't working out well...

Bottom line? I'm glad that you will be able to ride out this "contract" and then sign with a reputable real estate agency. I did take a look at your listing and, as others have said, it really doesn't present your home in the best light to appeal to prospective buyers....

Think there is a LOT you can do to accentuate the positive attributes your home has that aren't being show-cased right now. Let us know if you would like some suggestions on photographs, presentation or wording for the listing.

Wishing you only the best.... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions or help would be fantastic! We bought the house with the tin ceiling. It is more copper and has more shine than displayed... But we are willing to change anything to make the house more appealing! Thanks for all the replies so far!

posted Hide Post
What happened to the last post? It suggested you retake or delete the px of the tin ceiling to put the room in a better light.

Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
YOU CAN...call your Realtor and ak him to set up a meeting with the broker. That you feel time is wasting and the marketing promised hasn't happened.
YOU CAN ask to be released from the listing contract..at worst you hopefully will see some action.
Sellers don't realize sometimes... that they are the "boss".

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post