Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Real Estate
Hop To Forums   Get It Sold
  How to tell buyers not to climb in bathtub
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to tell buyers not to climb in bathtub Sign In/Join 
posted
This is in the same discussion vein as the one about removing shoes, but I have a question about how to keep people out of my jet tub. I see on these house hunting shows, people are always jumping in the bathtubs to "try them on for size". I would prefer they not jump in mine, especially with their shoes on.

Can I leave a note about that, or would that insult the buyer?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think this a common problem? I have never seen it except on TV though I don't doubt it happens once in a great while.

Are you sure you are ready to sell this house?

Posts: 6718 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It often happens. While my house in the Atlanta area was on the market, I had to clean dirt and scuff marks on the jetted tub. It's just another downside while your house is open to the public. You scrub before the showing and after the showing.

Posts: 791 | Location: Small Town South Carolina | Registered: Sep 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never done it, but I don't think it is unreasonable for a serious buyer to sit in the tub. I would not post a message, it may irritate a serious buyer, it may register you as a difficult seller, no one wants to transact with difficult sellers.
Just live with it, not a big deal.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Humm, I don't think I would dare do anything like that, in my mind is unnecessary But how about putting a liner on the buttom of the tub, that may work.

Posts: 4898 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Leave some paper slippers and fancy note (in the tub)stating if you want to try the tub for size, please remove your shoes or use the disposable over slippers?

I don't understand people doing this either. At least not until they were serious about actually making an offer.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I had a buyer jump in the pool on a very hot summer day at a showing. I was in shock. I always now in my listings, put special requests in the Realtors' Remarks of the listing.

Posts: 9179 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I've never had a buyer ever express a desire to get into a bath tub or shower. It is television. Perhaps there are some jerk newer agents who have watched too many house hunting shows who encourage such stupid behavior. Roll Eyes But I've not seen any evidence in any of my listings that another agent allowed such behavior.

The best thing if you are really concerned about the finish on the tub being scratched is to have your agent put it in the Agent to Agent remarks. Be prepared for the "you can't be serious" look.

Also, be prepared that if your agent does not talk you out of it, for this to become a running joke between agents and their clients. Your listing will become the "house with the special tub" or something similar. I can hear my buyers now asking if the sellers plan to take the tub with them when they move.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3390 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, I haven't seen many people do this IRL. If you're concerned, it might be easier to provide booties at your front door. And, the "no shoes" rule's become fairly common, IME.

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I have seen it on the tv shows but I don't think it is unrealistic for a serious buyer to see if they could fit into the tub. They may be too tall or size of their body may not fit the tub. A lot of people try to see if they fit in the shower also. Is your shower and tub together or separate? I would just let the buyers try to see if their bodies can fit into your tub. Wish you well in selling your home. Don't sweat the small stuff. Most important thing is getting a buyer into your home.

Posts: 168 | Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri | Registered: Jan 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess I just don't put anything past anyone these days. People getting in bathtubs, bringing their pets to showings, letting the kids jump on the beds, tracking mud all over the house ...it's no wonder that sellers are getting paranoid.

Guess there's nothing to do about someone wanting to get in the jet tub. I'll just hope I don't have to fix any scratches.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Once again - most of that is television. Real buyers are not that stupid.

If you are that concerned and it is prevalent in your area for buyers to get into tubs then purchase the shoe covers/booties and put by the front door and have instructions in the MLS to please remove shoes before entering the house. That way it doesn't look as odd as putting them beside the bath tub with a note to please remove your shoes before getting into the tub.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3390 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's what I was thinking when I suggested the front door booties, above, Charming - that way, it looks normal. Plus, it should reduce grit and grime throughout the entire home.

Don't worry about it, Carol. If they're serious enough to measure/try out your tub, hopefully that means they're serious enough to write an offer.

Good luck with your sale!

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. You're right. If a person wasn't interested in the house, they wouldn't be trying out the tub.

posted Hide Post
Well, I was just watching Property Virgins yesterday and what do you know...a girl jumped right into the bathtub with her shoes on!

I know, I know, I'm getting paranoid.

posted Hide Post
Remember, what you see on TV is just that- made for tv, not necessarily what goes on in real life. In my almost 30 yrs as a Realtor, don't ever remember a client jumping into the tub. Real tall men are usually more concerned about height of shower head. Don't get paranoid over what's shown on tv.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
You could always fill the tub and float flowers on top of the water; that would stop 'em from climbing in...

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! That's perfect! Love it.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, what people see on TV after a while it may seem the normal way of behaving.
Therefore, booties at the entrance should be now something that we should all think about doing.

Posts: 4898 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real buyers are that stupid unfortunately. You wouldn't believe the things we've seen in our houses. I've almost gotten to the point I only want our realtor to show our houses since she doesn't allow people to do some of the things they do.

Posts: 1115 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oye, that is a pet peeve of mine, too. I had never heard of that until seeing it on HGTV. Repeatedly. And the fact that the people didn't even have the courtesy to remove their shoes before doing so. Makes my blood boil. That is just so flipping disrespectful of buyers to do so.

Anyway, love the idea of filling the tub with water and floating flowers! But I would be irritated enough at the very thought to put a large note in the tub. "DO NOT ENTER TUB WITH SHOES ON" or "REMOVE SHOES BEFORE ENTERING TUB."

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post