Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Garage Sign In/Join 
Picture of kritch
posted
We're trying to sell our home which has an attached garage that was renovated, by the previous owner, into a related living suite. So, the garage can't be used as a garage as it is now. However, it can be returned to a garage if the new owner wishes. This has become a problem with potential buyers. Even though it's listed in the description about it being renovated, the buyers are still expecting to find a useable garage. Any ideas on what we can do to get this house sold?? There's no way we're going to build a garage we're not going to use.

Posts: 1010 | Location: IN | Registered: Mar 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
If the norm for your neighborhood is to have a garage, I would suggest you find out how much it will cost to convert back if you and your real estate agent think that is why it is not selling. Of course it will affect your price - less living space, but if it will sell more quickly that should be a plus. People now who see the house and want a garage are automatically thinking about the trouble and expense of changing it back.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3568 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I know exactly where you are coming from, When I moved here I found out that many homeowners converted their garages into living spaces and parked their cars in the driveway.
For us that was unacceptable. we need a garage for many things besides parking the cars, and use it also for storage items.
So you may be finding that people in your area are not willing to accept a non working garage.

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
In our area, you cannot legally use under roof space to converted living space unless the space is "heated". Check your state.

It is hard for us to understand what expense would be
involved without answers to the following questions...
1) has the slab been raised in the garage to meet with the existing house slab.
2) Are the garage doors still on the front. Yes some
people may utilize the front area of a garage for store room, then frame in across and back for living space. Why...because it is cheaper and easier to take down a wall than re-buy and re-install new garage doors.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a house in the North without a garage. In fact, I don't think I would buy period without a 2 car garage, because I don't like leaving my cars out in the weather.

As a Realtor, I would say to you have a good sit down with your Realtor. In your area does garage value equal living area. Only sold comps will tell. Your
Realtor will tell you that answer.

Posts: 9274 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kritch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Posts: 1010 | Location: IN | Registered: Mar 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post