Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Condo woes Sign In/Join 
posted
I own a condo that was built in 1973. Due to a surgical error part of my spinal cord was damaged so in 2010 my income dropped by 35%. The condo is all on one floor, after climbing 16 steps. I was trying to get it ready to sell before the surgery, but now am unable to do so on my own, or budget.
The biggest problem is the stair well wall, which is 18 feet high. It continues to crack width wise from the top step to the bottom wall.

Question:
How do you fix a cracked load bearing wall?

Choices:
Disguise it.
Tear out drywall and start over.

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Is it a condo or townhome? If it is a condo the problem should be addressed by your HOA.

It will have to be fixed - by someone. The alternative is sell it as is. It is a known defect and you will have to declare it.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
A picture would help, but really you need someone on site to evaluate it. If the crack is in a public space it isn't your issue to repair. If it is within your walls the repair may be your responsibility.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6857 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
Get a contractor for a professional opinion and the estimate should not cost you.

Posts: 9181 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
Is it a condo or townhome? If it is a condo the problem should be addressed by your HOA.

It will have to be fixed - by someone. The alternative is sell it as is. It is a known defect and you will have to declare it.

It is a condo and since it is on the inside wall, it would be my responsibility. Outside issues have contributed, I'm sure. I have owned the condo for 15 years. The carpet from the long wall was damp out about 8" then. No water source along the wall. The HOA replaced the siding with T111 that had sat out from October to April, on the ground and uncovered. Within 6 months, the carpet soak had expanded to 10 feet from the wall and I had carpenter ants everywhere.
Long story short, siding, and headers around all 4 garage doors were water soaked and eaten away.The last "repair" was another siding, above the garage doors and the carpet replaced. Not one installer was professional and sledge hammers and crowbars were used and not once was the under wood sheeting were ever replaced.
Sorry for the yapping. These buildings were prefabs and have been sinking a lot, so the original wall I asked about is also bowing in.
Thank you so much for your answer.

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
Get a contractor for a professional opinion and the estimate should not cost you.

Thank you for your advice. 3 years ago I had a contractor in and the estimate was $8000.00 Way out of touch for me.

posted Hide Post
Whoa- Is the stairwell inside of your condo or common hall area? If common hall area not your responsibility, I don't think.

Have you tried one of the HGTV shows..that's a chance. Certainly the need. Another idea is to call Red Cross,, and your local agencies. I think if it were me. You could write a letter, have it copied and just mail it out to every agency you could find including all gov't agencies. Another idea is to call code enforcement..they would find out real quick who's responsibility it is...and if yours can help get help.

Another idea is to write a letter to small local contractors..same idea.

Yes, many people like to do a good deed for someone in need and in this case, you are in need.

Here's another idea -- Local adult education has building classes.. auto classes they could take it on as a project. They would secure the proper permit, so forth...completely surpervised. Worth a shot.

If you want to PM me, I will try to help further.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: real estate lady,

posted Hide Post
Here's another possible solution,, however not sure if you are a senior or not... but most towns cities have senior services..I would call them.
Keep it short explaining your health problem and
the risk of the stairs problem.

Ragarding HGTV help, what meanies.. your association is... not to allow someone to help you like HGTV. Why don't you call your local news..we her have Channel 8 on your side...who help solve problems. Remember on the phone be
to the point.

Regarding surgical error..hope you got compensation for that error. Did you apply for SS disability?

posted Hide Post
REL- re surgical error. Sometimes surgery doesn't go as predicted- doesn't necessarily mean surgical error or liability on part of surgeon. Don't really know the real story here.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, unfortunately it was according to his PM's to me, however was able to get disability.

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
So sorry for all your physical and condo issues; I'll keep you in my t/p's....

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Have a blessed day.

posted Hide Post
how old is your condo - did you get a contractors warranty..or was it a resale when you bought.

Also there are agencies in your city for disabled...and certainly can look into defective stairs.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real estate lady:
how old is your condo - did you get a contractors warranty..or was it a resale when you bought.

Also there are agencies in your city for disabled...and certainly can look into defective stairs.

Per the OP -- it was built in 1973 and the OP has owned it for 15 years.

From further posts by the OP it sounds like the whole place is sliding into disrepair. I would not spend that kind of money on repairs and get as much as I could from a cash sale to an investor. But - DISCLOSURE of all known defects!

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input. The entire place is not in total disrepair. My main question was about the stairwell wall.
In the past year, with the help of our county agency, I have had a new furnace, new water heater, attic insulation update to R19, since the garages below the condo are unheated, they also insulated the ceilings. On my own I have a new garage door opener and 3 year old double pane replacement windows. The outside repairs, which are the HOA's responsibility, have included insulated replacement siding on the garage end wall only, and replacement of damaged siding on the back outside wall, due to golf ball damage. Also, all of the headers and frames around the garage doors were replaced in 2009. I of course would explain this to a real estate agent and provide what documentation necessary.
Things like painting walls are difficult due to physical limitations, but up until 3 years were done every 2 years. The rest is cosmetic: new flooring,update tub surround and vanity, and new counters in the kitchen. Up until 3 years ago this home got a thorough deep cleaning every fall.
I so appreciate all input I have gotten, contacted local agencies, and as for help with painting and the one wall repair, have not been able to find help. My son and I have been painting on and off for the past 3 weeks, as our disabilities allow. I do have an agent who will come and give an opinion when I get the painting done, and all the clutter put in storage, and get the carpet clean.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are on the right path. One other thing...if the neglect of outside repairs caused inside damage the HOA should foot the bill.

Posts: 501 | Location: mi, usa | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lakelark:
Sounds like you are on the right path. One other thing...if the neglect of outside repairs caused inside damage the HOA should foot the bill.

I totally agree, but the HOA has stated that I have no proof the multiple people they had do the work, since 2000 had any part in the inside damage. I was home during most of the outside work, and do not have before/after pictures of the damaged areas. Since none of the "repairmen" were licensed contractors, or even experienced repairmen, and were not insured, I have no way of falling back on them. Since our HOA has gone from self-managed to managed 5 times since 1998, missing records are what I'm told I cannot have. I have a report from an EPA home inspector, 2011, stating all the outside work that needed done, but was not, I would have to get an attorney to sort this all out. If I cannot get complete records from the board of the HOA, I'm just trying to do what I can, and will reveal what I need to when I speak to the agent. Thanks for your response.

posted Hide Post
Our Tampa Board of Realtors ,locally, has a "Paint Your Heart Out" DAY... Realtors who volunteer and dedicated to those homeowners not able to paint their homes themselves. Call your local Board of Realtors..and asked if they have such a program and could you apply.