Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Color Splash: Miami
  comments about traditional Decorating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

comments about traditional Decorating Sign In/Join 
posted
I was offending by his comment about traditional decorating.... people think they have to decorate like their grandparents. Well, there are a lot of people that like that look. There are those that cannot stand the ugly look of contemporary design. Personally, I don't like contemporary design or modern. You did what you called an old world game room.. there was NOTHING in it old world... everything was cheap and contemporary. If you were to do that to my home... I would have been pissed. Quit insulting others design and stick to what you do best, not old world, but contemporary design.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the deal, D.B. went to Ringling School of Art & Design to become an illustrator. It was only after he was laid off from Disney that he started a business designing fantasy rooms for kids. He didn't really have an interior design background. He's good at what he does but he isn't an interior designer in the classic mold. He can only do one look.

He has no concept what traditional is. Just like half of the "designers" on HGTV he believes "traditional" has a very narrow limited scope which of course is the furthest thing from the truth.Traditional interior design has a respect for the past and a certain nostalgic reverence for history, but when 3,000 years of art history from around he globe are at your disposal the only limitations are a designers own lack of knowledge and inspiration.

Posts: 1800 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the tradition look is more like..... matured, let's say. And there's nothing wrong with this look, but not all the people in today's fast changing modern world can hold on for a second and enjoy the traditional interior. It's a pity!

I am in love with design! I make it with passion ....

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it also depends on where one is located. A major city like new York, Los Angeles or Miami will have so many modern furniture stores that people get bombarded with the design and that's why modern is so popular. But if you go to "inner" America, I think people still enjoy the traditional look. In my opinion, traditional will always be around, while modern is just a fad.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post