Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Color Splash: Miami
  Not cancelled, on hiatus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not cancelled, on hiatus Sign In/Join 
posted
According to the Futon Critic, Color Splash is "on hiatus -- fate to be determined," and more than two dozen other HGTV shows are listed with the exact same status (including Property Brothers, Holmes Inspection, Curb Appeal, Candice Tells All, and Design Star). Still other shows are listed as currently airing, returning or cancelled. All that to say there could be another incarnation of Color Splash.

Posts: 52 | Location: To chat about shows | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's some hiatus! David's been heavily involved in a myriad of other projects, including both HGTV and non-HGTV ventures. Haven't heard that about any CS filming, however.

Yes, they can always bring back a new incarnation of CS (ala DOD) but I'd be very surprised to see the same version of CS-M again.

Incidentally, during an interview in September, David said something about "developing a new show". So, we'll wait and see. BTW, the link to that interview's on his website.

Anyone have any other info?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Posts: 518 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just reporting how Futon Critic lists the show's current status, which frankly surprises me. I agree with you that the Miami version of CS wouldn't return.
If anyone hears rumblings about a new show he has in the works, I'd love to hear.

Posts: 52 | Location: To chat about shows | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's fine, Kris. Yes, I noticed you were just passing along FC's information.

Have a feeling FC changes the status of any HGTV program as soon as tptb stop airing new episodes. IIRC, HGTV only formally announces upcoming new series/programs or additional seasons of existing series but never cancellations. They leave their options open.

DOD's probably a good example. They previously aired new episodes from 2 LA versions plus Chicago, simultaneously, but removed all three. Now, several years later, they're airing a new DOD-LA. So, was DOD on hiatus during that interim period or were the previous 3 versions cancelled? Who knows, lol???

Sounds like David may do something besides DS, DS-AS and WRC at some point in the future. Have to wonder if he's decided, however, that hosting's much easier than hosting plus designing. Not to mention paint lines, art prints, art exhibits and individual clients -

We shall see ...

Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have a feeling FC changes the status of any HGTV program as soon as tptb stop airing new episodes. IIRC, HGTV only formally announces upcoming new series/programs or additional seasons of existing series but never cancellations. They leave their options open.

Maybe but I went and checked out FC site and it does list Antonio's show as cancelled, Kim Myles show and Secrets of a Stylist are also listed as cancelled. most are listed as hiatus but there are some cancelled.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Debi. Didn't have time to check out their website this week, although I've seen it previously.

IIRC, Emily indicated she'd filmed another season or two of Secrets but that doesn't mean anything, either. Could be HGTV ordered add'l episodes from the production company but then decided not to air them. Or, they'll burn them off in a marathon some Saturday afternoon.

WRT David, haven't heard that he's filmed anything but DS, DS-AS and WRC. So, we'll see.

posted Hide Post
The whole new culture of television is changing the way people are watching it. Frankly, I'm getting pretty dizzy because of the constant switching of program scheduling. I used to be able to set my clock to Color Splash and all the other popular shows but none of the ones I remember aren't around anymore. Can we get an update on whether we will see some of our favorite shows return on the air like Color Splash?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David recently finished filming a new season of Color Splash, which he mentions in a May 2013 post on his blog. I hardly visit the Color Splash forum here anymore because of the negativity, but couldn't resist sharing the news. I'm looking forward to the show's return.

posted Hide Post
I saw that on his blog, too - about how he finished taping a new season. It will probably start in the fall since the White Box Challenge is airing this summer.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This morning HGTV broadcasted a new episode of Color Splash. He has a new carpenter and the same assistants and Juan, the painter. Unlike the last two seasons of Color Splash, David breaks a sweat by putting down a wood floor and torching some reclaimed wood for doors separating the living area from the sun room. With a lower budget, David is using his creativity to problem solve, and it makes for a better show. David also had to hunt for the homeowners' two dogs that got out during the project. The result was understated, transitional design. No glitz, just a few animal heads. David still has the creativity, talent and sense of humor as well as the ability to connect with the viewer better than any HGTV designer.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the new show today. Bravo for focusing on David & keeping control over those unlikeable design assistants (one in particular, the other is okay). I felt like the show was back to form.

Posts: 329 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
Yay!! I could scarcely believe my eyes when my DVR recorded a NEW episode of Color Splash. Gone is the word "Miami" in the title and the show seems to be trying to go back to its original roots where the design appeals to the average viewer and David is featured as a more regular guy, more involved with the homeowners. The new carpenter is cute, too and the girls aren't trying to be fashion divas but hands-on workers. I like it!

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto! It was great to have the "old" Color Splash back.

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snakes on a makeover! I am enjoying new episodes of Color Splash. David is spending more time with homeowners explaining choices and rationale and less time shopping. In the new Color Splash David is seen as being more hands on and connected to the project. He even had to work in the dark. I loved his beach painting and the bright, airy result, and the clients were delighted.

posted Hide Post
I have heard from a little birdie that there will be a brand new season starting about now Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are new episodes, but you have to see them on Tuesday mornings or remember to set your DVR.