Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Color Splash: Miami
  Cancellation long overdue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cancellation long overdue Sign In/Join 
posted
Color Splash's Miami incarnation has been a disaster since it first hit the air, and I'm glad that it's finally been cancelled.

Creating a good TV show is like capturing lightning in a bottle, and HGTV was lucky that Color Splash's first version was able to do that: likable, talented host; likable, talented supporting cast; unique, accessible design.

The Miami show was essentially a parody of the San Francisco show: David became an egomaniacal cartoon of his former self; the "assistants," for lack of a better word, were unnecessary, untelegenic and unlikable; the designs always over-the-top and inaccessible. (Miami design doesn't always have to be in-your-face and dripping with glitz, but David seemed incapable of coming up with a tasteful take on Miami aesthetics.)

The Miami show blazed the trail for similar failed programming--most notably Debbie and Dina. Add David to the mix, and HGTV had a trio of D-named hosts helming D-list shows that focused on design better suited for brothels than viewers' homes.

The result? The best design programming on HGTV comes from Canada. The U.S. productions are garish and subpar compared to the quality shows from north of the border. Those shows have warm, pleasant hosts with appealing supporting casts. Most importantly, those shows spotlight beautiful design and steer clear of the three-ring-circuses that the U.S. shows have become.

I liked David in San Francisco, and I read on the board that he has a new show in the offing. But, frankly, after Color Splash Miami, I don't really want to watch David anymore.

And I only watch HGTV for the Canadian programming. The American shows mostly insult my intelligence and my design sensibilities.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cartoon is right. David was a Disney cartoonist wannabe and it shows. Regarding the quality of Canadian programming, do you suppose it's just a coincidence that their g*vernment supports the arts in all its forms?

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Here's the way I see it: this is a huge success story. David Bromstad is longest-running DS winner on HGTV. No other winner comes close. His show is now in its third iteration: from SF to Miami and now to NJ. Booyah!

I can only hope that David will eventually do some shows from the Austin area. Now, wouldn't that be fun.

Posts: 5373 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought David had tacky taste, but he is telegenic and personable, and that'a all HGTV needs. I agree he does sort of fall into the Donna/ Dina realm of the more cash,the more flash genre, but the other two D's are like stagers, David at least tries to go for custom and refurbished instead of just shopping for bejeweled throw pillows.

He does seem to be more full of himself, but that could just be his regular personality coming out now that he is comfortable in front of the camera. He reminds my husband of the Uncle Arthur character from Bewitched. So when we watch him we yell at the T.V. "Oh, Sammy" and it makes us laugh every time. Yeah, we're easily entertained but laughing isn't a bad way to spend a half hour.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Charles, I really enjoy reading your posts. There is always a point to them. (Though I will probably think of Uncle Arthur now when I watch his show.)

I don't always like David's designs, but I think he is just trying to give the homeowners what they asked for.

I am anious to see his new show.

Marylee

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of otro
posted Hide Post
I am just happy that DAvid is still on TV. I agree with Charles that he may just be more comfortable now on TV. He has gained a lot of self confidence and years of experience that he is now more like a pro on tv when it comes to being comfortable in front of the TV. I do not like some of his MIami makeovers but that does not mean that I dislike him as a designer. He is stil my favorite and frankly his show is the only one that I watch now.

Posts: 379 | Registered: May 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NORTH VALLEY - That was the best written and most accurate post I have every read on these boards. I agree with every word and thank you for putting it so succinctly.

KUDOS TO YOU.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I understand if you don't like the show. Folks are entitled to their opinion. But to find joy in another person's failure - i.e. the cancellation of a show, the loss of jobs for several people - points to personal flaws you should work on.

I too loved Color Splash SF. But, to be honest, it was kind of homemade. A good show, but small in thinking, in my opinion. Color Splash Miami is different, the design styles are different, but it also shows the possibilities of design when you think big and bold, outside of the box.

I think both formats of the show had value. If the folks who spent time spewing venom about the design assistants on CS Miami (they seem to be lovely women, btw) stopped their hating for a second, maybe they'd see that value. And if they didn't, they'd stop watching.

We live in a world where there is way too much negativity...it saddens me that on message boards about a design show, that negativity can still be found.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Oct 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Virtue, so you think that as a viewing public we should either say something nice or keep our mouths shut? I don't think so. I pay for cable TV and I have a perfect right to express my opinion on programming--good or bad. If HGTV does NOT want feedback on its choices, they need to shut down these boards.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Virtue, so you think that as a viewing public we should either say something nice or keep our mouths shut?

I don't believe that is what Virtue meant. There is a way to offer constructive criticism instead of the scorched earth commentary and ad hominem attacks like the one offered by the OP. As Virtue astutely pointed out, these types of hyperbolic remarks reflect more negatively on the poster than they do the target, in this case, David Bromstad.

posted Hide Post
Nice try, achi, but it won't work. First of all, what makes you think the criticism is meant to be constructive? They are the "professionals" putting their work on display for my "enjoyment." I am the viewer. Do you really think David (or Donna) would have ever listened to me? The only thing I ever said about David was that his artwork looks like cartoons. That is hardly surprising since his stated goal was to become a Disney cartoonist. Although I love flamboyant color, his aesthetic never appealed to me so I hardly ever watched his show. As someone posted earlier, the SF episodes had an amateurish quality. The Miami episode(s) I saw were way overboard for what the HO's must have paid. For designs with that short a shelf life, the Pop Shop appears to be more realistic. That is a show I can see myself enjoying for what it is--temporary design for young people that doesn't break the bank. Unlike Donna, the Pop Shop guys seem to draw the audience in on the joke. Donna never realized she WAS the joke.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Knock yourself out, sms29s66. Big Grin

There is nothing on HGTV or any other entertainment show worth my high dudgeon.

posted Hide Post
aychi, you are mistaking amusement for dudgeon. Smile And you are amused as well or you wouldn't be posting on these boards, would you?

Picture of MsWildhack
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but there is nothing amusing about NorthValley's comment. It was nothing but snobbery and Schadenfreude.

There is a huge difference between criticising something and just being nasty.

------------------------------------------------
I've been around...well, all right, I might not have been around, but I've been....nearby.
-from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't presume that the cancellation of Color Splash is representative of waning interest. David is going to be the host of a new show, so obviously HGTV sees him as a host viewers want to see. Color Splash may have had a finite run predetermined, who knows?

Posts: 1806 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MsWildhack:
Sorry, but there is nothing amusing about NorthValley's comment. It was nothing but snobbery and Schadenfreude.

Yep.

posted Hide Post
My remarks about the on-air personalities of those involved with the show are not attacks on the individuals. I felt readers of this forum were sophisticated enough to make that distinction, but I guess I was wrong.

When you put yourself on a public forum like a television program, criticism of the show's content and on-air personas are part of the game.

The game was clearly in David's favor when he started his first show. He'd amassed much goodwill from Design Star, and his producers were wise enough to take full advantage of that in the early days. David designed within the scope of his talents, and his tasteful rooms appealed to viewers. His castmates had clearly defined jobs that they excelled in. In addition, the castmates were rather low-key and served as excellent foils for David's more outgoing personality.

That show added to the goodwill David had come off of Design Star with. Unfortunately, all that goodwill was squandered with the Miami version. David seems unable to make Miami style work for him as well as the style he used in San Francisco. It's fair to say that, given the overwhelmingly negative comments about the new show on this board, that most viewers were turned off by his attempts to shift gears.

In addition, saddling David with untelegenic assistants who had no clearly defined jobs didn't help. And unlike Danielle and Ian, who grounded David and the first show, these women seemed to forever be playing games of one-upsmanship with David and each other. The Miami show had no personalities anchoring it to reality--something Danielle and Ian did beautifully.

David is not the first person to have made this mistake. Television history is littered with people who sparkled in one show and unsuccessfully tried to recreate that success with other shows. It's very, very hard to do. When you come into people's homes on television, they feel they've invested in you somehow. If you change into a different person, they feel betrayed and are unlikely to embrace the new version. Katie Couric, Bryant Gumbel, the cast of Friends and myriad others have had difficult times getting audiences to accept them in roles that differed from their initial introductions to those audiences. Maybe David will have better luck with the third show. Maybe not.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
North Valley, your last post does a much better job of stating your case that your original post. Even though I still disagree with some of your points, your argument is pretty persuasive.

This is a fine example of how to offer a strong opinion and engage in constructive criticism of a public figure (or anyone for that matter): no snark, no insults. It's a thoughtful analysis handled in a civil manner.

posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with you North Star- I like David this new show did nothing for him personally.

To those old enough to remember- Johnny Carson said he would not have had the following he did without Ed McMahon. They were a team.

And North Star the programming from Canada doesn't seem to be chasing the "youth". They aren't afraid to have most of ther hosts have a few years on board.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: professorc,

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I liked the S.F.show for its personality, I don't really remember David breaking new ground in the art of interior decorating and design. What I am seeing in the Miami incarnation of Color Splash is David pushing for a more showy, dramatic reresentation of his aesthetic.

I can't say that I have ever seen a polished combination of inventiveness and solid design principles. David's rooms often struggle with odd proportions and mediocre space planning. And even though he is David Bromstad, and the show is called Color Splash, quite frequently his color sense belies his love of graphics and animation. These areas of artistic creativity show he has undeniable talent, but the concepts and disciplines of these fields do not have the same principles of interior design.

I do like the guy, I think he's funny, inadvertantly or not, but I have always questioned his taste. That said, taste is sunjective, so this opinion may be mine and mine alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
quote:

Yep.

Alright, alright, we get it! You're still big David B. fans, regardless of the fact that he, HGTV, or both gave Color Splash fans the finger by abruptly moving the show, changing the cast and design sensibility, and ignoring fan complaints. Like sms said, we pay for cable programming, so we can be as mad and vocal about it as we want to be! And don't take it personally. HGTV is apparently nothing but a propaganda tool to sway people to take out home equity loans to renovate their houses according to the design standards they dictate, then try and sell/buy them at over-inflated prices, or (with their House Hunters International series) hint to people that we'd better get out of Dodge and move somewhere that's still affordable to buy and live, like Central/South America. Unfortunately for David, he's the lightning rod for a lot of this because he seems to be playing along with this game when his attitude appears to be, "I got what I wanted. Adios, nobodies!" NorthValley is right: David has squandered a lot of the goodwill he had rightly earned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iphoenix,

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iphoenix:
quote:
quote:

Yep.

Alright, alright, we get it! You're still big David B. fans, regardless of the fact that he, HGTV, or both gave Color Splash fans the finger by abruptly moving the show, changing the cast and design sensibility, and ignoring fan complaints. Like sms said, we pay for cable programming, so we can be as mad and vocal about it as we want to be! And don't take it personally. HGTV is apparently nothing but a propaganda tool to sway people to take out home equity loans to renovate their houses according to the design standards they dictate, then try and sell/buy them at over-inflated prices, or (with their House Hunters International series) hint to people that we'd better get out of Dodge and move somewhere that's still affordable to buy and live, like Central/South America. Unfortunately for David, he's the lightening rod for a lot of this because he seems to be playing along with this game when his attitude appears to be, "I got what I wanted. Adios, nobodies!" NorthValley is right: David has squandered a lot of the goodwill he had rightly earned.

Take ten deep breaths and repeat after me, "It's only a TV show; it's only a TV show; not the end of the world; not the end of the world."

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] Take ten deep breaths and repeat after me, "It's only a TV show; it's only a TV show; not the end of the world; not the end of the world."[/QUOTE]

I will if you finally will over the fact that the majority of CS fans hated the show change and so many of us are mad at David over it....

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And doncha just want to slap someone? You choose.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing and one thing only killed Color Splash Miami for me, and I can say it in one word: Gina.

Posts: 329 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, clue me in--David is moving to NJ for a new show?

Posts: 6090 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LAinLA:
One thing and one thing only killed Color Splash Miami for me, and I can say it in one word: Gina.

Amen to that. She drove me away all by herself.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch David for David. He is the designer and I want to see his designs. I don't care where he is, who he is with or which show he is on.

It is passion and enthusiasm all wrapped up in one. Watching his smile brightens my day.

Posts: 229 | Location: Meridian, ID | Registered: Aug 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virtuallyworking1:
You know, I understand if you don't like the show. Folks are entitled to their opinion. But to find joy in another person's failure - i.e. the cancellation of a show, the loss of jobs for several people - points to personal flaws you should work on.

I too loved Color Splash SF. But, to be honest, it was kind of homemade. A good show, but small in thinking, in my opinion. Color Splash Miami is different, the design styles are different, but it also shows the possibilities of design when you think big and bold, outside of the box.

I think both formats of the show had value. If the folks who spent time spewing venom about the design assistants on CS Miami (they seem to be lovely women, btw) stopped their hating for a second, maybe they'd see that value. And if they didn't, they'd stop watching.

We live in a world where there is way too much negativity...it saddens me that on message boards about a design show, that negativity can still be found.

Agree 100%. Thank you!

These people take things too seriously and need to stop living their lives through television.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know the show was cancelled but I've been glad to see David on other HGTV shows as well as representing a national brand in TV advertising. He's definitely evolved in his TV skills and does exceptionally well, I think, as the mentor on recent seasons of Design Star, and I hope he has continued success either on TV or offscreen as a designer or spokesperson.

Posts: 649 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow a lot of haters out there. If you knew anything about David then you would know that he requested HGTV move the show to Miami so he could be with his family whom he loves very much. As to the nature of the show, any designer has to design for the customers and yes Miami customers have a different esthetic than those in Dallas Texas. Imagine how difficult it must be to design for a customer while producing an international show which will appeal to all. I for one enjoyed and still enjoy both Color Splashes in that each had their strong points. I find the Miami episodes much more refreshing, young and cutting edge then the conservative looks associated with the San Fran episodes but thats just my style. I would never blame the designer for designing to their client and geographic area nor would I ever blame David for wanting to be with his family. THAT WOULD BE SELFISH. No matter how you look at it David Bromstad is talented as a designer, artist and host. "NothValley" just because it doesn't suite your taste doesn't make him any less talented. He's inspirational, energetic, happy and a true joy to watch and I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone on this one) can't wait to see his next show. NorthValley you seem so in tune with what the American viewer wants why don't you let HGTV know what the winning formula would be lol.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Well said, JDiaz.

I remember when the Dream Home was referred to as Dream HOUSE. It is now, called Dream Home. And HOME truly is FAMILY. David chose wisely when he chose them. As for creative and talented, he's got all that along with heart. He can take that anywhere.

Have you noticed, NOT every area of our country has the same design? It's nice to see, he accommodates for the region. If Miami isn't a viewer's style, it will be someone elses. How I lived in Hawaii, would not be the same as I live in the midwest. Aloha, Yeehaw!

Hope we still hear from David. I can seriously see a streamline form of these shows base upon regions/interests. I keep checking!

Posts: 5241 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
trish, using "home" when you actually mean "house" is one of my pet peeves! Tacky, tacky, tacky!!!!!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take ten deep breaths and repeat after me, "It's only a TV show; it's only a TV show; not the end of the world; not the end of the world."

Couldn't have said it better myself aychi Wink

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
David B has no qualms over anything ,LOL
He is the spokesperson for Sherman Williams Hgtvs Host for DS have seen him in a few other spots on TV, he smiles all the way to the bank-IMO

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saku
posted Hide Post
It's comments like this that make Hgtv keep airing House Hunters instead of anything fun or interesting.
David is creative and made a show that was entertaining and fun to watch, I don't know what the problem is. He is warm-hearted as well, so you harping on him about his personality is pointless..
I loved the fact that he wasn't afraid of using color in design but I guess "normal" people care too much about boring gray walls and boring accessories, oh well suit yourself, and enjoy House Hunters for eternity.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing David can count on (besides his money) is that I'll be there watching; no matter what the name of his show is!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ricjames,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindawj
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread, so I assume everyone has moved on, but just wanted to say: what bugged me about the Florida shows was not a "Miami" esthetic, but the fact that all the projects were for extremely wealthy people with extremely tacky taste. I'm sure that David's designs were just what the clients were looking for, but for those of us who don't want to live in a set from "I Dream of Jeannie," the rooms just didn't inspire us.

That said, I love David and will watch him in anything. Am I missing something, because I haven't seen a NJ version of the show, in fact I haven't seen him in anything except Design Star for the last year.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post