Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Fireplace and colors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireplace and colors Sign In/Join 
posted
I just bought a house and I am going to redo the living room (among other rooms). The living room is red brick and I was thinking of either whitewashing it or painting it. I'm needing ideas on what color to paint everything. I didn't know if the bricks would look pink if I whitewashed them. Oh! And the hearth is what looks like a pink marble (bleh...) Not sure how I'm going to change that either. I like earth tones.

By the way, the pictures are off of the website before the person moved their stuff out. NOT my stuff. ;-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caseyheather123,

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with you. I'd immediately get rid of the red brick and make it white.
As for the pink hearth, I frankly don't know what you can do about that short of getting rid of it and changing it to a more earth-toned color that would stand out beautifully against the new all-white fireplace.
Good luck.

Posts: 1659 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
You can tile right over the brick and the hearth. We tiled over granite, so I'm assuming going over the brick would work too.

Wanda

Posts: 4851 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yes, you could paint the brick white or do as WWanda advises. A great how to tile over the brick is found on this page...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/to.../0,,20065453,00.html

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post