Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Exterior Color and accent for unusual home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exterior Color and accent for unusual home Sign In/Join 
posted
I just regained my place back from renting and want to freshen it up. As you can see right now it looks a bit beat. I am wondering if I should use a dark green as an accent for the trim and a brown as usual for the walls. Should the brown be lighter or a dark is okay?
Can the lower section have a different color?
Finally, on the lower wall (by the lawnmower), would an exterior painting or so help?
Please offer suggestions. Thanks feeling desperate and overwhelmed on doing the renovation after getting the house back :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mxmsk,

Before renting

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't hit me but I actually like it just the way it is.
If you feel the need to "spruce it up" perhaps you could consider getting someone to come in to shine up and freshen up the deck wood, etc.
Otherwise, to me it looks great.

Posts: 1755 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Perhaps someone can do a mock up for you. I like the dark brown as it suits the rustic, yet contemporary feel of your home, but to keep things lighter, consider a white to frame the windows, the roof line and perhaps the deck. White freshens things and makes dark colors pop. The white should have warm undertones. There is enough greenery framing your home. Lattice panels can conceal any tools on the lower side of your home if needed. Lattice or other dimensional paneling will add another textural element along with your stone.

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post