Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Sultry Bedroom Color & Design Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sultry Bedroom Color & Design Help Sign In/Join 
posted
So here's the deal: I'm a single 30 year old male, I've never done any interior design, and earlier this year I inherited a condo from my parents. The master bedroom is a rather small box-shaped room with one window and a small closet. Plain as plain gets. I'm using the only other bedroom in the place as my personal bedroom/study. I want to redo the master bedroom into something romantic suitable for bringing home a date.

Basically, I'm trying to make the bedroom comfortable, romantic, and a little bit sultry. I have an old bed frame that I am going to sand down and repaint, but not much else. I was thinking of doing the bed frame in an espresso, an accent wall in "chianti" or aubergine behind the headboard, and the rest of the walls in slate grey, with grey bed linens and an aubergine bed spread. However, after weeks of poking around the internet I haven't found one picture of a bedroom that looks like this and I'm afraid that my "sultry" bedroom is going to end up looking more hilarious and less romantic. Can anyone help me out here? Is there a certain issue of a magazine I should read or a book on bedroom design? I never thought I'd hate the internet, but after weeks of research I'm at a complete loss.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yoo Hoo!
Humbly, I admit to you that my bedroom gets lots of compliments and oohs and aahs.
Carpet and walls are light grey except for the headboard wall which is aubergine. Bedspreads (different ones for different seasons) range from aubergine to white.
Headboard happens to be brass with small porcelain fittings BUT an Espresso headboard would look great as well. Night table lamps are black and white glass.

All you need to keep in mind with those darker colors is the lighting factor in the room. Make sure to make the most of it.
Your taste sounds just fine!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Your design concept sounds good. While not 100 percent of what you envision, here's an image that might get you started. Notice that what makes this bedroom so inviting is the very clean lines, big bed with luscious linens and nothing overtly masculine or feminine...just good art, dimmable lighting and a dust-free floor. Smile No date wants a cluttered, smelly, dusty mess. Nor should you. (And, keep the pets out while you are entertaining.)

You want sultry? Candles will do the trick very nicely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5310 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pointers. Candles certainly are on my agenda. I'm not sure what to do in the way of art. The wall opposite the bed is completely empty, but in my experience large, framed pieces of art are rather expensive. I'm not sure where to look for something affordable. My other concern, which I forgot to express is the rose colored carpet, which I absolutely can't afford to replace.

The picture in the previous post is a good approximation, although my room is a LOT smaller. Here are some other pictures I found that are similar to what I'm shooting for:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/27...bedroom-philadelphia
http://www.bubblews.com/assets...89911_1370224682.jpg
http://www.houzz.com/photos/33...n-bedroom-huntington
http://www.houzz.com/photos/56...mporary--los-angeles

posted Hide Post
Can you afford a gallery wrap piece 34" x 47" at $185 such as this which is meant to be hung unframed:

Posts: 3458 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, it depends what my priorities are, but for the extremely limited amount of time I'll be spending in that room, I can afford roughly $50. Maybe $65 if I stretch it. Good idea though. I'll have to poke around some local galleries. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
Planex, is that your budget for the entire room?

If the space is small and you'd like to enlarge it, I'd stay more monochromatic. And, if you need to stick with the rose rug, I'd hesitate to add too many add'l accent colors.

Your photos included multiple styles. Yes, you can combine them. When I read your preferred colors, however, I was thinking contemporary.

If you have the budget, you could spend only a few **$ and purchase a patterned rug to layer over the rose rug. That would also be a good way to add the extra accent color, e.g. aubergine. Or, you could select drapery panels or a comforter that combines your desired colors, instead.

It's far easier to determine your colors with fabrics (or other inspiration items) and then match the paint to them - than the other way around.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art for walls need not be expensive. Think out of the box. What about blowing up an old black and white photo of someone or something that was creatively done and frame it inexpensively. The larger you blow it up and the more it loses its integrity and becomes more hazy, the more creative the photo will look.
By the way, that rose colored rug that we'd all rather ignore is not at all a monkey wrench. It fits right in with aubergine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what my budget for the entire room is. I'll probably spend as much as I need to on the important things like paint to get the color I really want. I start pinching pennies when it comes to things like art, or throw rugs, or linens (as things tend to go on sale if one is patient). If I find the perfect comforter and it's a little expensive, I'll spring for it. But I just can't see spending so much money on a piece of art.

The throw rug is a good idea if I can find one in a color that ties everything together. Again, my colors are Espresso (bed frame), Aubergine (accent wall), Slate Grey (3 other walls), and Polar White (doors and trim). Those colors are negotiable by the shade, but I'm pretty set on the color scheme. Yes, contemporary is what I'm shooting for.

You may be right about trying to find linens first and then matching the colors. Ugh, I hate shopping.

posted Hide Post
Also, if anyone is interested at getting a glimpse of the room and the bed frame I'm trying to repaint I posted a picture in another forum (link below). I'm trying to modify the frame by cutting off the bed posts as they are very tall and any advice would be appreciated. It's all explained in this post: http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...173946277#8173946277

posted Hide Post
Considering a factor for your time, I would pass on reworking the bed. Don't know if it has sentimental value. If so, you could possibly save it for a future daughter. If not, I'd place it either on EBay or freecycle, depending on its **$ value. Simple, contemporary bed frames can be purchased for as little as $40.

If you must retain the bed in this room, I would remove both the headboard and footboard, using it only as a frame. (You'd need to add a frame board or two, BTW.) Or, the headboard could be used by reworking it (DIY) into a tall, contemporary headboard by adding a frame (retaining but hiding the bed's structure) plus either tufted padded leather or vinyl, depending on your budget. Reworking this piece would require too much of your time, IMHO.

Alternatively, if/when you purchase a new, sturdy frame, large tufted squares or a single, narrow tufted rectangular could be cleated to the wall as the headboard. I would also consider a platform bed, plus the tufted headboard suggested - particularly if you need add'l storage.

Besides the tall, rectangular tufted headboard, to go contemporary and hopefully enlarge the space (that is, make it feel larger), I would eliminate any footboard and simply use a monochromatic duvet or bedspread, basically covering the entire bed frame. (Your room feels extremely small in that photo, although add'l photos to check out its scale would be helpful.)

BTW, I dislike shopping myself but if you focus on the fabrics (or another color inspiration), you will save tons of time. Any reputable paint counter can then match the paint for you. It's extremely difficult to find coordinating pieces if you commit to paint first.

And, you mentioned romantic and sultry above. Nothing will impress the ladies more than clean, crisp fabrics, e.g. bed linens. (Well, maybe a sparkling personality, lol.) Conversely, no bigger turnoff exists than bad linens, IMHO!

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure where I can get a frame and headboard like you describe for as little as $40, but I'll look around for sure. If you're right then that's great news. As for time, I have more of it than I have money right now. I'm not sure what you mean by a tufted headboard but I'll google it. I was thinking more something in a solid dark wood.

You're probably right about buying linens first. Although I really have my heart set on the colors I've picked, I'll go look at linens before I paint.

Yes, I will have new, clean, wonderfully inviting linens long before I bring a lady into the boudoir.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Tptb change colors annually. All the retailers go along, e.g. furniture, fabrics, accessories. So, if you pick paint colors from a year or two ago, although still common, you might have a tough time dressing out the room. OTOH, work the other way and the paint's an easy match.

If you have the time and want a project, I'd suggest the leather tufted headboard. You'll need to cut out a frame, staple foam and batting to it plus your choice of leather or vinyl. To finish, tuft it with buttons covered in your choice of leather/vinyl. (For example, check out the Ikea Bekkestua.

It can be easily cleated to the wall, i.e. doesn't need to be attached to your bed frame and will be very sturdy. Its height will enhance the size of your room. BTW, easy instructions are online, everywhere.

Ok, ok, an iron bedframe s/b only approx. $35 or less, possibly free. (Incidentally, I meant to suggest CL for your other bed, above.) If you go monochromatic between your headboard fabric/leather/vinyl and linens (no footboard), that should also enhance your room's size.

WRT linens, I would skim the floor with them. (You'll need both a boxspring and mattress unless you use a platform bed.) A bedspread would ease maintenance. You can also consider a duvet plus bedskirt.

So, none of the frame would be visible. I love the espresso stained frame, too but wouldn't suggest it for your room b/c of its small size. If you have room (haven't seen room photos, yet), you could consider doing open-style side tables or an open console in either a high-gloss black or pick up the espresso there. OTOH, I don't know the exact size or what other pieces you hope to use in the room.

Another contemporary option: using silver for those pieces plus glass (assuming you might use grey as your base color) would be contemporary and also enhance your room's size.

Hope some of that helps. I've got a few add'l ideas about your accent colors, etc. Let me know how you decided to finish the room!

Take care and good luck!

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're probably right about buying linens first. Although I really have my heart set on the colors I've picked, I'll go look at linens before I paint.

If you have your heart set on a certain color for the wall, then do it.

I disagree about finding linens first. You can always find linens to go with your wall color. I've done it countless times: I always use basic solids like white and ivory sheets and then use pillows and throws and textured quilts to add accent colors. This way, you can change out your look easily and not be stuck with one particular color of bedding.

Paint color takes up a larger volume of space in your room -- and also has a bigger impact on your mood and feel of the room -- than linens. Lighting and accessories also add to the look of the room.

Listen to your heart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5310 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who advocated being stuck or forced into one type of bedding? Nobody -

Agree, you can always find linens in neutrals and/or accent colors that will coordinate with any wall color. OTOH, if you're shooting for a contemporary, monochromatic look (as we were discussing), you may wish to check your retailer's inventory before selecting that design style.

I've always had multiple types of linens to change out my look as my mood changes from day-to-day. Paint color's a little tougher to change. So, I tend to take my time committing.

Accessories, as probably mentioned above, can be used as another color inspiration, if you wish. Lighting adds another layer to your look. It's all about what you want, IMHO.

Who said to ignore your heart's desire? Again, nobody -