Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Mexican Tile Floors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Tile Floors Sign In/Join 
posted
I am buying a house with Mexican red tile floors, but like a modern theme. Usually like metallic interior walls in a couple different colors. Has anyone tried a modern theme with red Mexican tile floors?

Thanks...Mike

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the only thing I can say is that most of my house is contemporary/modern with lots of black/cream/grey/purple.
But my kitchen is black/off-white and terracotta Mexican with a backsplash of antique Mexican patterned tiles and modern touches of black mirrored appliances and it goes just fine with the rest of the house.
I wouldn't sweat it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to modernize a house in Fl. with Mexican tile. I chose a green/gray the same color as the grout for the wall color, and put a slightly darker green/gray rug with a thick pad down.Then hung floating shelves in a cherry finish that picked up the orange/brown in the tile and threw in two chrome chairs with orange/brown leather,and it looked great.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Indeed, contemporary rugs (w/pads) in predominately neutral colors) will downplay the terra cotta tile floors. Dark gray, black, blues, olive greens, purples, browns are possible complimentary families of colors to your flooring.

Posts: 18688 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post