Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  need help with beach house colors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help with beach house colors Sign In/Join 
posted
Way too much red. What color can I use in the main room where the TV/Fireplace is? I thought about SW6430 Great Green The ceiling adds a dilemma because it has a golden tone to it. Any advice appreciated. Here is the link to the property in question. Click on view photos (to the right) and all pics of rooms pop up!
http://www.hobbsrealty.com/Hol...t3_ThatsItThree1125/

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me adding green will start to make it look too Christmas-y.
Your clue to a possible good blend would be what you said about your golden toned ceiling. Go with the gold, I say!
There are many lovely shades of gold that are not overpowering, yet would complement your red.
Good luck.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, goodgal, you're advertising this home as a vacation rental. I personally love red - however, if this were my vacation rental, I would definitely repaint all of the red rooms, with the possible exception of one of the open dining area walls (as an accent wall).

When I think of a beach vacation, I'm looking for relaxing and comfortable. Red's an electric, energetic color. Besides that, you already have a great deal of red in your furniture.

For those reasons, I would select cool, beachy, neutral colors to appeal to as many renters as possible and tone down the furniture. Your floors appear grey. You might try a taupe with a grey base. (IME, taupe has either a grey or brown base.)

I would try to coordinate the taupe with both the ceiling and floor. It will definitely work with the red furniture, IMHO. You might need a few more pillows and/or other accents with all the colors to finish off the rooms.

BTW, love to see some photos of whatever you decide to do. It's a beautiful home.

IMHO.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Beautiful place, and I love red. But as others have mentioned a beach house should be more...well... "beachy" LOL!

Light Aqua, sky blue, sand and seashell shades.

Or you could go the other way and do the whole Nautical thing...red white, blue and bright yellow similar to marine flags and lighthouses.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7486 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good idea to go nautical with the accessories, if you want to work with the red, that way. You could always keep your walls neutral.

Red's an acquired, personal taste. I believe you'll increase your rentals, if you tone it down and go for a cool, beachy look.

JMHO.

posted Hide Post
In general Beach houses have minimal window treatments to allow for the sun, the sea breezes, and the view.As such the exterior landscape becomes an inescapable back drop for your interior. This is the main reason so many seaside homes are beige,taupe, and blue.

You don't need to go with rope and shells, but recognizing the colors beyond your windows makes a lot of sense.

I grew up two blocks from the ocean in a house that was, burgundy, sage, and gold. It was so off the mark I can't tell you.My mom has great taste and our furniture was very good quality, but it looked very "wintery" in the summer. Now, we did live there all year 'round, so the colors were comforting during the bitter damp months.

If however you are only there during the Summer season, I would love to see dark wood mixed with colors that co-ordinate with the blue sky and water.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're around, goodgal, would love to see some pix of your new paint job - no matter what you decided to change.

Take care -

posted Hide Post
I was just there. I am going to wait a year or so. This place was rented solid April to most of October and is considered one of their better rentals bringing in over $120,000 this year. The rental company said if it isn't broke don't fix it and in all honesty we only use the place ourselves one week a year. There are several renters who are repeat customers so the red is more my issue but I do agree cool colors are more beachy. I probably will go with the nautical theme when time to change things. Thanks for all the help..lots to think about!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the rental's going so well. ITA - I certainly wouldn't interrupt the schedule during your busy summer season. Kinda' too bad you're only able to use it 1 week/yr but perhaps that works for you.

Sometimes it's tough painting during the winter but we've made it work, previously.

Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
I think a sky blue interior paint would go perfect with the scenic view, the beige tiles, even the golden wood trim! That's a really lovely summer home you have there.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Consider a navy blue for the walls which not only is a complimentary color to the red furnishings, but evokes a more nautical feel. The rooms appear to have abundant natural light and the spaces open which means a dark saturated wall color is fine. In fact, navy (or a hue close to navy) will also compliment the woods, flooring and golden ceiling. Echo the navy onto pillows (cabana stripe in navy and white perhaps), a rug, art, etc.. Use more white to keep things light and airy.

Posts: 18699 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sunny Daze
posted Hide Post
Great House!!!

I'd go with a beige color that has green undertones to neutralize your space. You have strong undertones in your floor pinky/beige and your ceiling is a golden/yellow. A beige/green with compliment both and create a nice flow between the two.

Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan comes to mind which would look great with navy blue accessories too

Posts: 2544 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sea colour looks very attractive. It is very light and increase the look as compare to dark colors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smith23,

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, did I ever misread your post!
My suggestion for gold is disgusting.
Please disregard everything I said.
(sorry!)

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Sunny Daze. I like Manchester Tan. Maybe with an accent wall of Nimbus Gray. I think those two colors so well together and are very beachy

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are you replying to a over year old post that was brought to the top by a spammer?

Posts: 7105 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post