Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Sign In/Join 
Picture of Marlena Ritter
posted
We live in a 3 bedroom duplex that we can paint but not sure where to start. The only color that we can't paint is yellow and my canisters for the kitchen are yellow. So I am not sure what colors to use. The bedrooms are separated from the front room is a hallway. So I don't have to worry about making sure the colors go together. My favorite color is red and hubby's favorite color is blue.

Marlena

Posts: 1179 | Location: Wichita Ks | Registered: Jan 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. What color are your floors?
2. What color is your furniture?
3. What color is your window covering (if any)?
4. What color do you dislike?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
The floors are laminate wood floors. Right now we don't have any furniture except for the fridge as we needed to move it from the kitchen. We have those ugly white plastic blinds. The only color that we don't like is green.

Marlena

Posts: 1179 | Location: Wichita Ks | Registered: Jan 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Red, yellow, blue are frequently found in French Country decor....dishware, fabrics, etc.Find a print that unifies this scheme and works with built ins and you have a spring board for your public spaces. Keep in mind that all three colors or their hue values need NOT be present in each adjoining space. Keep high ticket items neutral for scheme flexibility down the line.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Btw, BLUES are currently trending in home furnishings. They are at home with yellow or red, but just as pretty with crisp white for a monochromatic space mixing scales of patterns, tone on tones, solids and textures.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Blue as your primary...

http://www.calicocorners.com/p...ountry/omar+azure.do

Blue/white
http://www.calicocorners.com/p.../jamestown+indigo.do

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
When selecting wall colors and their hue value, take cues from fabrics (new or existing). It is important to factor in room lighting (natural and artificial) furnishings, contrast, the feel you seek, flooring, trim. Do not paint first simply because a paint chip catches your eye. Find the inspirational print FIRST and go from there. Once you have narrowed the candidates to two or three, buy sample sizes and paint a test board to move about the room over the course of a few days and nights. The undertones will be revealed making your final choice more suitable for that space.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
More...

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...ry+fabrics&FORM=IGRE

BTW, you need not limit fabrics to French Country if florals or toile are not your taste. Look into plaids, paisley, stripes, dots, checks to establish your public space scheme. Bedrooms need not maintain the public space scheme as they are private spaces and can be treated uniquely.

posted Hide Post
Great links--makes me want to run right out and get going on some new decorating.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo,
You have given me some ideas on color schemes. I am still not sure on what color to use for the walls. But if I ever get some furniture that would be a big help to have somewhere to start. I plan on doing hubby's bedroom in blue as that is his favorite color. And since a lot of his bedding is white that will work. My bedroom is another story as I have to really paint over the ugly color it is now. They even painted the ceiling the same color as the walls. So that will be fun to take on. I wish that I could do yellow in the kitchen but since the landlord doesn't like the color that is out of the running.
I want to keep the front room simple in color and don't like a lot of patterns. That way I can use more in the way of colors in my afghans that I crochet.

Marlena

posted Hide Post
Okay, now that I know Hubby has his own bedroom, definitely decide on a blue color that he likes. As for your room, you love red so why not think about both red and white for a bright and lively look? You could even do white walls with your focal headboard wall in a bright red.
Anyway, some ideas to consider.
Make sure to think about throw rugs in patterns of matching colors to the rooms.
As to your kitchen: You don't have to paint the walls yellow to get your favorite yellow look. Paint them ivory (or even white) and accessorize with yellows -- bowls, dishes, pictures, napkins, placemats, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo24,

Posts: 1701 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a starting point. Find a great rug for the living room and work outward from there!

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hubby is in his own room due to having to be in a hospital bed. And the bedroom isn't big enough for 2. And trying to figure out and area rug isn't easy when you have to worry about a wheel chair not having problems.

ni

Marlena

posted Hide Post
I wonder if I painted the walls of my kitchen a light blue and brought out my canisters that are yellow. But if I do that what color can I use for the front room. There are 3 windows so there is a lot of light. I still don't have any furniture for the front room. But I figure to see if I can find something that is neutral in color for a couch.

Marlena

posted Hide Post
I am so glad that I haven't painted this apartment. We are going to be moving into a smaller place and one that works better for hubby. We still get to paint the place anything we want to. But I found out that we can paint the walls yellow as long as it isn't an ugly yellow. So now comes the fun part as I need to see what the people that just moved out painted the walls. I haven't even see inside the apartment so we will see how it goes.

Marlena

posted Hide Post
If you find a good yellow, please pass it on. I've been looking for the correct yellow for my bedroom for YEARS now. I think yellow is the hardest color of all to get right!!!!

Posts: 3459 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know years ago my second husband and I painted our daughter's bedroom yellow. And it was so light that you couldn't really see it. But I know the yellow that they painted in my daughter's apartment is so ugly. Want to make sure we don't get that color.

Marlena

posted Hide Post
We are in our new place and need help with the colors for my bedroom. The windows have dark red curtains, green carpet and pale pink curtains over the closet. I have both dark and light furniture and even want to paint my bed as its too dark for my tastes. So where do I go with the wall color. The ceiling is a medium blue,

Marlena

posted Hide Post
That's a lot of colors competing in one bedroom Marlene.
If you feel you need to keep with the red curtains and green carpet, perhaps you could change the curtain over the closet to match the red of the window and paint the room a soft white (including the ceiling -- one shade lighter on the paint swatch).
Add accessories like red and white throw pillows, a shiny red flower vase, etc.
Get an area rug which has shades of red/green/white, and you're good to go!

Posts: 1701 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing that has to stay is the carpet. I like the idea of painting the walls a white. But I think that would be boring. But then again I love the idea of using accents to liven things up.

Marlena