Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  what is the fascination with gray ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is the fascination with gray ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Light gray is this decade's trendiest neutral. It has replaced beige as the wall color of choice. (I actually don't know if this is true in a statistical sense, but it sure feels like it.)

what is the fascination with gray ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jessica Allen,

Posts: 4 | Location: London | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It works with practically every single color and it is unobtrusive.
It also complements the more modern look well.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 'drab" quality of gray often helps to make the colors around it appear more crisp and clear (like black but softer). Also as a neutral it works better than beige with buttery yellows, and citrus greens which are very popular now. Design is a fashion related business so cyclical change creates interest as well as sales to keep the industry relevant and profitable.

For me personally it is my go to neutral because I hate beige!

Posts: 1784 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello Jessica,

You are correct that gray has taken over as a popular color in homes across America. For example, the NKBA saw a rise in bathrooms using the color gray from 12% in 2010 to 56% in 2013. Gray is a classic color with a modern, clean, and refined look.

Gray is the perfect color to complement other neutral tones such as white, crème, tan, beige, and brown. A neutral colored room can become very flat and boring with out a dark value. Interior designers and homeowners have been choosing gray as the dark tone to give the space life.

A lot of accessories also use the color gray/silver when playing with texture to add dimension. Countertops are another place you see a lot of gray such as granite and slate. Gray is a simple color that is inconspicuous but has a dignified and chic aesthetic.

If you want to learn more information, check out this article dedicated to talking about the emerging color trend.
http://www.kitchenbathtrends.c...m-color-of-the-year/

Hope this helps,

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are ready for a change. After years of gold, rust and green, it's time for cool colours to come around again. Grey is not everyone's cup of tea, especially in dreary climates. However, it can be paired with lovely saturated colours such as yellow or bright emerald green and it becomes a sassy combination for contemporary rooms.

Posts: 519 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two years ago it was nigh on impossible to find grey anywhere.
I wanted a grey carpet and the store owner told me I was choosing one tough color for him to find a bunch of swatches for.
He finally brought me 7 different colors of which 5 were awful and the other two were okay but still not perfect.
I'll bet I could find a plethora of carpets today in the exact shade of grey that I really wanted in the first place.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
lol..we've had a grey, red brick, and white trim since 1988...

maybe bringing in grey from the outside is homey or modern calm...the new sage?

Posts: 8538 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I have loved gray as an elegant neutral for decades and it is no surprise it's on trend now. It need not be cold or drab, makes whites and other colors pop and is a refreshing change from browns. As in fashion, it is classic working in almost any decor from modern to traditional. I will soon team dark gray walls with crisp white. My brass fixtures and gold formal table setting will gleam like jewelry in this redone dining space. Yes, brass is still around in lighting stores. Smile

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post