Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Painting a dining room table. Need colouring advise please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting a dining room table. Need colouring advise please. Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a large pine dining table that I would like to paint. I will be painting my dining room walls a medium to dark grey, with the bottom half of the wall with white panelling. I have very dark brown hardwood floors. The room has a large window with lots of light. I want to keep the table colouring neutral but can't decide between grey, white or brown. I'm worried that if I paint it white, that it will blend into the panelling. I haven't chosen dining chairs yet, but was thinking a grey tone would be suitable. Any advise on the paint colouring for the table?
Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. Stick with the grey -- it will be beautiful and from there you can introduce almost any other color/s you like if you want to.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I am currently introducing a similar palette to my dining room. My furniture is predominately a golden/orangey oak however and my chosen wall color above white wainscot will be a dark gray. BTW, my hardwood floors are a medium stain. I like my furniture stain against the white wainscot and feel it is not too dark with the charcoal walls either. Tho it took some hunting, I plan on using a charcoal tablecloth on my large dining room table. FYI, my chandy is brass and glass.

In your case, a med./light gray table will keep
things monochromatic and neutral. If you select a gray in a different value from the same chip but that is dark enough to contrast against the white portion of your walls, you can't go wrong.

Posts: 18737 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post