Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Bummed out about my new tile
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bummed out about my new tile Sign In/Join 
posted
We just got this house were moving into soon. we have already painted the wall the two tone colors in the pictures and had picked out the perfect tile, but we took too long to tell our tile guy and he wasnt able to get the same exact tile so he brought me a different sample and because i just couldnt wait i agreed to it. now i have no idea what color scheme i should do or how everything is going to to into each other. I really just wanted a nice neutral color all through out my home but now with this tile i feel like im not going to be able to get it. i have no idea what to do and im super bummed out about it. my boyfriend said maybe painting the bottom half of the wall a dark espresso bean but im worried itll be to strong against the already over bearing tile. any ideas? basically i want to keep it as neutral as possible but i dont even know what kind of furniture to go with. Help!!!! ( sorry for the long post)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the tile? I can't really tell from the pic, but it certainly reminds me of the Duraceramic I have in my bathroom--Sierra Slate--which I love. Your tile looks very neutral in the pic. I don't see why you'd have any trouble decorating around it.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good gracious!
What seems to be your problem?
That is one stunning looking room. Do not touch a thing!
You can still be monochromatic with the same colors in furniture and accessories.
You have zero worries.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha, okay. so you think the two tone wall looks good as is? the kitchen sits to the right of this picture and right now it has builder grade oak cabinets that wrap around the kitchen and then an island in the middle. I was thinking of painting the cabinets a cream color and the island in the middle the dark espresso. i figured with the dark espresso furniture I was planning on getting, including the chairs that sit at the island everything could tie in. yay or nay?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark espresso furniture should look great in your room.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fat yay!!!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Y.funyuns, what color did you use on your walls? I like it!

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The paint looks fine with the tile, although the tile reads a little dark on-screen. Lighter, multiple photos, including the kitchen, would be helpful.

Espresso will give you a high degree of contrast. Have you considered that? Staying more neutral/monochromatic might help you enlarge the space, if that's a concern.

I'm personally not an oak fan but it might work well with those colors. Have you thought about living in the space for a short time before committing to a large project?

Good Luck!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't put dark furniture in this room, as I think it would contrast too much with lighter cream paint and the tan in the tile. That being said I think the tile is beautiful and brings the room together nicely.

If I were you, I'd stick to the lighter color theme. If you do dark wood, I would try to find chairs with cream colored upholstery. Something like one of these:

http://www.kitchenandfurniture...ning-room-tables.jpg

http://modern-dining-table.net...ing-Table-Styles.jpg

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post