Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need help with a red leather couch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with a red leather couch Sign In/Join 
Picture of DyEdmom7192
posted
We are buying a house and included in the sale is a beautiful huge sectional. Unfortunately for me (the wanna-be designer) it is a bright red leather couch. I have no idea how to design around this to take away from the WHAM BAM red! Anything would help. I have attached a picture similar to the couch. Thank you soo very much!

red leather sectional

Posts: 2 | Location: schoharie county, ny | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lots of colors will compliment the red. Keep in mind a few things tho. Flooring, your public space scheme, lighting, the feel you seek are some elements to consider. Finding a print that features a bit of the red plus accents you love may get the ball rolling, but keep adjoining spaces in mind for a degree of flow. Some neutrals might be grays, taupes, browns, tans, navy, but it may surprise you to see what textile designers team with this vibrant red. Even a black and white scheme will make the red pop, but it sounds like you want to downplay it. Shop for an area rug or printed chair to serve as a unifier. once the scheme is established, carry them onto the sofa via pillows and throw.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your room looks anything like that picture you should not have to worry about watering down the red look. Your hint of colors is right there with the black and white which always looks smashing with red.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
How about throw pillows with a hint of red in them and maybe matching drapes? Keep the background in the fabrics light with just a hint of red. Then use that same fabric in an ajoining room, maybe seat covers on dining room chairs.
I am actually making red slipcovers for my living room furniture.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3434 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DyEdmom7192
posted Hide Post
Thank you froo froo, arepo and indycatCarol Smile

Posts: 2 | Location: schoharie county, ny | Registered: Oct 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post