Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Retro Green Tile- Which paint color and floor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retro Green Tile- Which paint color and floor? Sign In/Join 
Picture of kswytak
posted
I have a 1960s bathroom with vanity and shower tiles in green. which shade of grey or greige goes best? Does the slate tile work? Any other idead?

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Its funny you say white, arepo, because you're the second person to say that and I'm tempted to do that. Problem is, the room was white 15 years but just doesn't work. Maybe because the skylight adds too much blue?

Right now I'm leaning towards slate tiles and Perfect Beige from Sherwin Williams.

posted Hide Post
I have the same green tile minus the cute fish.
I have white fixtures. After my run with floral wallpaper with a white background I agonized over the color for about a year. My floor was little tiles with avocado as the main color (really ugly). Due to budget constraints, I covered the tile with vinyl stick-on, I know it sounds crazy but it's been down for years and works. It's more white with a touch of gray, may a touch of taupe.
Anyway, I decided to just go with the mint green and matched paint to it (I stole a little piece of tile from under the vanity). It gives me a nice clean palate to use other colors.
I tried a beige and it just looked blah.
And the tile, while it might work comes off with a pink tinge on my monitor. Google mint green tile or check out retrorenovation.com home of savethepinkbathrooms.com.
Nearly drove me nuts. I'll see if I can post a pic....

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
jaysmom49 thanks! its not a 30s mint green, definitely has a 1960s thing going on.
Not 70s not 30s!

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
quote:
savethepinkbathrooms.com

Yes exactly! The homeowners are baby boomers so I had to lobby hard to keep the original 60s tile.

posted Hide Post
My camera phone color is way off. Unless my monitor is way off, you're color is my color circa 1958 or so.

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
The house was built in the early 1960s

posted Hide Post
Okay, so you can't do white.
I would then go with a very pale green and the darkest of the colors on your swatches.
Anything dark grey would be my next choice.

Picture of KBTrendsMag
posted Hide Post
Hello kswytak,

If you do not like the idea of white then consider an off white. Even though it is a subtle difference it may be just what you need. Off white complements well with light green tile because it creates a contrast. Beige or grey could work but the room will be washed out and not have much contrast.

Another option is to paint all of the walls an off white and save one of the walls for a different color like a slate grey. It will give a modern feel to the space and still create contrast.

I would not suggest a beige, grey, or greige for all the walls though because I think you will still have a feeling of being dissatisfied.

Hope the suggestion helps!

Kitchen Bath Trends
www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Wow, now I feel even more confused!

I think I'm going to have to go with my gut on this.

Problem is its an odd room, not just 4 walls but 10 different broken up planes and I need the color to look good with both natural light (skylight) and artificial.

I tried griege, tan and white and they just don't work.

Any tint of color seems to get ampliphied so I think I'll go with the purest light grey I can find.

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
FYI my ultimate motive is to really make the tiles pop. The house will be sold in about a year and I want the new owners to keep the historic tiles.

posted Hide Post
If it were my bathroom, I'd paint the walls the same shade as the red fish. I might, however, want to replace the fitures with white ones. one. I don't understand the post suggesting that baby boomers won't like the tile color. I'm a baby boomer born in 1948 and 50's and 60's retro is right up my alley.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
We just uncovered the original floor, hidden under a layer of baseboard- it's tan with brown specks!

Nothing against boomers, I just think when you grow up with a certain style, it looks "dated" to you when you are older.

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of the colors posted work. They look like you picked a color w/out considering the green tile.

I agree w/ a creamy/antique white. The green is pretty (minus the fish Roll Eyes) Embrace the green and make it purposeful.

The other color might be to look for would be a pale pale green color the same shade as the tile.

Another direction to go in might be find your shower curtain or window treatments first. If they have other colors in there, a color for there could be pulled on to the wall.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
I think the walls were originally light green. Oh well, its done now. At least it looks better than the green color is was before...

Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you for keeping the green tile and fish, Kswytak! I love colorful old 50's and 60's bathrooms (kitchens, too!), especially if everything's in good condition. And I think the paint color you chose looks lovely.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
I think it's looking pretty good so far? Or maybe that's the paint color I chose talking "Wishful Thinking" lol. I can't wait to see it when the mirrors are frame the new tile floor is in.

It's 6 weeks now with no private toilet, sink or shower... :-/

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
I'm picturing dark green towels and rich orange wash cloths...

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Almost there... I think it looked really blah before I added the color ($24 worth of towels, wash cloths and a mat from Walmart) but it seems to be pulling together, finally! I had no idea what a pain in the butt it would be to find a faucet that fits the retro sink.

before color

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Here's the bathroom with colored towels.

After Color

posted Hide Post
Looks cute.
You might want to consider more updated hardware on your sink cabinet. But either way, it works and looks much better now.
Good going.

posted Hide Post
Nice job!

I would update the hardware, too. Have you considered committing to the sink's green and painting out the vanity base and shelf?

Great to see your progress. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Ok I switched out the knobs on the cabinets. Here's a before and after.

posted Hide Post
It looks great. Of course, now I'M UNHAPPY. I loved my green on green but now that I've seen yours (which I didn't like at first) I'm re-thinking my decision. Good news is that it is a SMALL room LOL!

Picture of kswytak
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom49 The strange thing is that the bathroom feels more green now. Less is more?! I love your bath too, especially all the white towels and fixtures and it gave me second thoughts about going greige. In the end I'm not 100% happy with it, the homeowner hates it and thinks it looks dingy, wishes I did light green like yours. But the boring blah color accomplished my main goal: Make the tiles the focal point.

I love green and I never would have thought that boring walls would make it more green but somehow it does, go figure.

I think the original budget was around 3k and I kept it under 1k, most of that going to floor tiles $84 from Home Depot, tile install $200 and replacing 45 degree slant back sink faucet $250+. New knobs were $4.37 from Home Depot, Paint was $20 from OSH, Towels and Bath Mat $20 from Walmart. Most of the labor was provided by the homeowner.

posted Hide Post
Didn't reread the thread today but thought I heard something about an upcoming, i.e. next year or two, sale of this home. True?

Great job! I realize you're done and probably don't care to hear any more suggestions but did anyone consider updating the shower door? It might be an inexpensive, standard size.

Thanks again for posting.

P.S. Didn't notice it in the afters but I assume the baseboards were completed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post