Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Arepo and all who contribute to board your thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arepo and all who contribute to board your thoughts Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi, Gwen here it been along time since I posted comments or seeked suggestion from the board. I finally finish painting after a year of back and forth on color ideas and doubts I had on the right color palette.

I finsh my foyer kitchen and upstair hallway and loving everything. I was feeling great until my brother n law threw me a curb ball. Tell me the color does not flow well I feeling really dumb founded please tell me is he correct.

See I painted my Foyer Copen Blue by Sherman Willams . My living room on the second level I painted my walls Empire Gold and my dining room side an accent wall Copper Pot all by Sherman Williams love the look.

My kitchen walls painted Copen Blue and there an accent wall Copper Pot all to me flow nicely.

My third floor area I painted the walls Classic Light Buff also by Sherman Williams in fact they all from the same color collection. The ceiling is Classic Light Buff .

Question is he correct that there is no flow.

Gwen

Posts: 501 | Registered: Sep 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Gwen, here are my thoughts tho I did not check out you pallet. First and foremost, this is YOUR house and your personal choices. If you liked the end result, do not ignore your eye's perception. You were pleased till a family member's comments planted the seed of doubt. Is this person a color expert? Is this person compulsively negative? Is this person jealous of your home? Why are you allowing his disapproval to suck the joy out of your newly painted spaces?

Keep in mind these things in no particular order...

The color scheme of your home should be inspired by fabrics or papers. Allowing the textile (including rug) or paper designers to steer you ensures a professional outcome. For "flow" (BTW, only in your public spaces) carry a color or two into adjoining spaces with variances of predominances, hue values, patterns, accents and/or neutrals. In doing so, you will avoid a crayon box/choppy look that not only doesn't make sense, but is disjointed. Your private spaces (bedrooms and baths) need not have flow and can be treated independently. For hallways, it is frequently advised that they should be neutral (ex, gray, taupe, beige, camel, tan, cream, gold, green) as they connect to the independent bedroom schemes. The foyer color sets the tone for your entire home, is it's first perception and also works with your public space scheme.

It is important to note, that wall colors and their values should be weighed and even tested prior to painting so that they work in each room's lighting, with the flooring, furnishings, built ins and trim. A wall color should remain the backdrop to the furnishings in the room, evoke the feel you seek and compliment the furnishings too.

Enjoy your home and the choices you've made that make you happy. Ignore the nay sayers who may be well intended but fail to realize it is NOT their home nor THEIR personal preferences that matter.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much my husband said the same thing that I need to ingore what my brother n law said . In fact as far as I can remember everytime I do something to my house he had a negative comment.

Then a week or two later turn around and do something to his house simular to what I do .

And I proud of what I did

posted Hide Post
Hi Gwen:
Nice to see you back again!
I echo the words of Froo Froo who said everything that I feel in a much better way than I ever could.
Enjoy your home. You will never please everyone.

Posts: 1688 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Happy New Year