Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Area rugs for dark floors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Area rugs for dark floors Sign In/Join 
posted
I am looking for ideas/colors for area rugs for dark floors (see attached pic). I like contemporary style - something like Kely Hoppen. The couches are white leather (Ikea - Karlstad)http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69876003/#/40139123

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crate and Barrel has lots of contemporary rugs. You can get lots of ideas from their catalogues that have their rugs in them displayed in various rooms. Right now they don't have much online except the rugs themselves.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kelly Hoppen is a hard designer to emulate, everything has to be perfect! If that's the look you really want we would need to know what your entire color scheme is.White carpet to match your sofas isn't going to cut it, because it will chop up the room with too drastic a contrast which would not be Hoppen's style. Gray walls with solid gray wool rug, maybe?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Because Kelly Hoppen has perfected the technique of high contrast dark and light no frills interiors, I suggest you find a large solid rug in a light neutral, with some texture. Large, room-filling rugs being the key. Perhaps coir, sea grass or sisal. Or a solid plush or a frisee shag. Her wall colors are low key: white, off-white, pale gray.

In her interiors, the rugs are not the center of attraction, as far as color or pattern are concerned, because she doesn't use color or pattern, generally. However, I did see a picture of Hoppen's home in which she had the requisite dark floors and large blocks of light area rugs. But, in the corner of a room, she had a zebra hide rug.

Again, it's the high contrast dark and white look she's known for. So, think about how you might incorporate a faux zebra hide rug and also a large solid rug in your space.

Here's a link to some solid neutral rugs: http://www.homedecorators.com/.../#p=1&f=Beige%2BRugs

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to agree with Aychi,and repeat her observation that Kelly's rooms always look expansive,so Aychi's point of a large rug is v. important. High contrast can chop up a space and make it look smaller, so a very light rug would have to be big. A medium sized rug should be closer in tone to the floor as not to make the space look smaller.So there are two options.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see a stainless steel color grey. In fact, I see a lot of grey.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post