Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need help with house colors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with house colors Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello all,

I want to repaint the trim, siding and door of my house but am unsure what colors to choose. I also want to repaint the cement of the porch as it is painted red.

There is an image below. Currently the house has a teal color on the addition, pitch of the roof and door that I don't care for. As well the brick wall and base of the house are painted a red that does not work with the house.

The door does not face the front of the house, but is on the side so I want to paint it a color that will make it stand out. I want to leave the brick as is. I am unsure if I should go dark on the trim and light on the other areas. I am open to combining traditional and eclectic colors as long as the work.

I have messed around with Sherwin Williams visualizer but I would rather have some advice.

Landscaping tips are welcome too!

Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/houseyy.jpg/

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I would consider the trim and the porch floor in a dark gray and the door in a dark red. Or you could do the porch in gray and the trim in white.

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cute house! Did you just purchase it? I note the photo appears to be on a RE site. If you're selling, you may wish to consult a local realtor about colors. I'm assuming you're staying, BTW.

Was thinking black and grey until I saw your photo. The brick reads as orangish on my screen and the teal appears light grey.

Anyway, given the brick, I suggest either a high-gloss navy or royal blue for the front door or high-gloss black, if you prefer.

I would also a darker grey (but not too dark) for the porch area and roof trim. I'd basically go with classic white for the remainder of the trim, with the following possible exceptions.

You could use black on the window ribs (a small amount) and repeat the dark grey on the brick's bottom trim that's currently red. I would also consider painting the round posts in grey.

If you wanted to go bold, using a darker orange, coordinating with the brick and grey, might look cool on the posts, too.

Just trying to throw out a few options. Hope something's helpful. JMHO.

Good Luck!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post