Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Painting Plastic Shutters ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Plastic Shutters ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello, I have 6 shutters in the front of my home I would like to paint because they have faded the past 9 years I have had them. I purchased them at Home Depot but would prefer to paint them rather than pull them out and replace them. I have purchased Olympic exterior paint to use for the shutters. Should I apply primer? Or is it ok to just use the good quality I purchased? I appreciate your suggestions!! Murph

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Check with a pro paint store, but I would use a good "exterior" primer that lists "plastics" for coverage surfaces on the label.
And of course a good clean and dry surface to apply the primer and paint.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you Conrad for the helpful information. I appreciate it. Murph

posted Hide Post
I painted mine 5 years ago, without primer, and they are just fine. Of course, I do not know how long it will last. I tend not to prime anything unless it is necessary like dark colors, stained deywall, etc.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate it! Murph

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. Isn't there a paint FOR plastic items only? I've not purchased any...but it is suppose to be for only plastic which I think would make a difference. Am I correct?

Posts: 5176 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The plastic paint made by Krylon is "Fusion". I have used the spray version on plastics, and it is great on any plastic that is flexible, like toys or lawn furniture. Limited colors however.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
The shutters are designed to be painted. I installed them on our last house, replacing the worn and cracked wooden ones. I applied a latex exterior paint with a professional sprayer with no primer and the paint adhered without a problem. They can be brush painted easily. They usually have a wood grain molded in so brush strokes aren't a problem. Given the age you might want to prime them, but nothing on them is going to bleed through like knots on wood trim.

I wouldn't bother with the Fusion spray paints because they have a rather limited palette. I matched our shutters to the front door. You could also match them to the trim on the house. Matching either will be a bit of a challenge if you use the Fusion spray paints.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6944 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your helpful suggestions, I purchased Olympic exterior paint from Lowes. I am going to paint the shutters soon. Thanks again! Murph

Picture of funcolors
posted Hide Post
If they are clean and dry, you could probably get away without a primer. Although hitting them with a bonding primer first might be worth the effort.

If changing the color, be sure to check manufacturer's color specifications. Often they will state NOT to paint the product with a color darker than the original color. They will give you those color specifications in terms of LRV, Light Reflectance Value.

Later,
funcolors

Posts: 9480 | Registered: Sep 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post