Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  wall color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wall color Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a brown couch, the base and back are dark brown leather. The cushions are a dark brown and a light brown. My carpet is a pebble with small spotches of green. I was thinking of Glidden Prairie Sage for the wall but after painting some sample spots, think it may be a tad darker then I wanted. There are 2 small windows, one facing east, the other is a glass block window facing North. I really need some ideas on the wall and trim color. I have pictures of all 3 of these items but don't know how to post them. Thank you

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am attaching a pic of SW Edamame that I like. If it is too dark, you can go to the Sherwin Williams site and play around with their color visualizer:

Posts: 3239 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you happen to carry in a rug sample or small runner to the paint store when you selected the Prairie Sage, bld? Have any other fabrics or accessories that match or coordinate with the PS? Just curious how committed you are to that particular shade.

If you are committed to that color/shade, sounds like you need to move down the paint chip a notch or two. I haven't ever worked with Glidden so I quickly checked out their website. It doesn't appear that they carry a full line/range of colors.

If you want the PS, then I can immediately think of 2 options. You may select another paint line and ask your paint counter staff to match the Glidden PS in another (full) line and then move down that color chart/paint chip until you find the right shade for your light exposure.

Alternatively, you may ask the staff if they'll mix a custom (Glidden) color for you, lightening up the PS formula. If you select the latter option, be sure to retain the color formula - they'll probably mark it on the paint can, BTW.

Either way, be sure to obtain at least a couple of paint samples to test on your wall. It'll save you time and multiple trips to the paint counter, IMHO.

WRT the trim, do you plan to go with a classic white? (You don't have to - there are no rules.) Or, do you hope to match trim colors painted by a previous owner/occupant? Whites can vary significantly. The paint counter can help you out with those, too - if you carry in a sample.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
I am attaching a pic of SW Edamame that I like. If it is too dark, you can go to the Sherwin Williams site and play around with their color visualizer:

That color is a little dark, I want to go lighter but I will check out the colors that go with it. thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:
Did you happen to carry in a rug sample or small runner to the paint store when you selected the Prairie Sage, bld? Have any other fabrics or accessories that match or coordinate with the PS? Just curious how committed you are to that particular shade.

If you are committed to that color/shade, sounds like you need to move down the paint chip a notch or two. I haven't ever worked with Glidden so I quickly checked out their website. It doesn't appear that they carry a full line/range of colors.

If you want the PS, then I can immediately think of 2 options. You may select another paint line and ask your paint counter staff to match the Glidden PS in another (full) line and then move down that color chart/paint chip until you find the right shade for your light exposure.

Alternatively, you may ask the staff if they'll mix a custom (Glidden) color for you, lightening up the PS formula. If you select the latter option, be sure to retain the color formula - they'll probably mark it on the paint can, BTW.

Either way, be sure to obtain at least a couple of paint samples to test on your wall. It'll save you time and multiple trips to the paint counter, IMHO.

WRT the trim, do you plan to go with a classic white? (You don't have to - there are no rules.) Or, do you hope to match trim colors painted by a previous owner/occupant? Whites can vary significantly. The paint counter can help you out with those, too - if you carry in a sample.

Good Luck!

Auga Bella, I am not stuck on that color, I do like the greens with the brown though. I want it to be lighter then the PS. I picked green because of the green specs in the carpet. There is no wall colors, just sheet rock right now. I was thinking of a cream color for the ceiling and trim, I do not like stark white. Thanks for your help

posted Hide Post
Love cream and actually thought about suggesting it earlier for your trim. Didn't b/c was thinking you might want to coordinate with previously painted trim in your home.

WRT the ceiling, you might want to consider using a lighter version of your wall color, allowing the cream trim to stand out.

Assuming you matched the PS from your rug, if you're not absolutely committed to it, you might want to look at fabrics and select a multi-colored fabric (stripe or print, whatever you prefer - or both), incorporating your favorite green (or a lighter version of it), cream plus the room's other colors, e.g. black, brown. That could then be used as an inspiration item and used for pillows or other accents within the room.

Another thing to possibly consider is the flow within your home. Don't know if you've used a neutral on other walls. You might also consider using a brown-based taupe for the wall color and highlighting the green with the rug, fabrics and accessories. If you want to change the room at a later date, it might be easier to change out the accessories and fabrics instead of repainting.

Hope that helps - it's all JMHO. Good luck with your project!

posted Hide Post
You have given me some things to think about. Never thought about the ceiling being a lighter shade of the wall color. Also the brownish taupe. the couch and carpet colors are the only things that can't be changed. I am putting the carpet pick up for you to see.

Carpet

posted Hide Post
When I painted my walls, I was advised by the guy at the paint store to do one part color/three parts white for the ceiling. I have found that I want more color on the ceiling than that ratio. Next time I will go one part color/two parts white. If you have crown molding, you will find that that crisp white molding sets off the ceiling color beautifully.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No crown molding but I will take that ceiling mix into consideration. Thank you all for your help.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful rug! Any chance you can post panoramic pics of the room?

Curious if you're hoping for a formal or informal space? How/for what will the room be used?

If you truly love green and want to showcase it, you might consider a fabric combining up the rug's darker green, a lighter green of your choice, brown and cream. Other possibilities (besides fabric) for an inspiration item: wallpaper (for a focal wall), artworks, accessories, etc.

I can picture either a taupe or green but curious about the room's use and how you'd like it to feel -

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

posted Hide Post
AguaBella

The room is 12 X 12. I will try to post a video. the big opening will be into the dining and kitchen area, a wall was just knocked down. You can see the regular window and the glass block window. The last wall you see is a solid wall. I have some colors on the walls. One is the prarie sage, one is Valspar morning sand, the other is Lowes Shade Green. I have the sofa and the carpet has been purchased. This is a garage apartment that sits behind my house. I rent the house and live in the apartment. I did have the car in the other side but decided to make it bigger. That is where the new room comes in. I can't get the video to load on email, says to big. The wall to the dining has an opening that is about 5ft. wide.

posted Hide Post
If it's a small apartment and given the adjoining rooms, you may want to pay particular attention to flow between the rooms. Minimizing contrast should help the apt. feel larger.

Does it have high ceilings like many garages? Is the adjoining dining room a formal space? Sounds like this is your everything room so will it be casual? Or, do you plan to set up separate zones within the room for various activities with their own feel?

WRT posting the video, you might try dropping it in a private/separate photobox and then linking us to it. Will look forward to checking it out -

Good Luck!

posted Hide Post
Aguabell

The ceiling are only about 8 foot.. The whole place is casual, I have 7 grandkids and I want it to be where they are comfortable. Before adding this room, it was just a sitting area and kitchen combined, now I will have a dining area but it won't be fancy. I will look into the video linking, see if I can figure that out. You have been so helpful to me, thanks again.

posted Hide Post
The room is done. Not sure how well the picture shows the color but I love it.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arepo I like that color, will keep it in mind. For my adjoining room I took the Prarie Sage and had it lightened. Sherwin Williams worked with me and I think the lighter version will work great with contrast.

posted Hide Post
I showed you that color because you wanted something lighter than SMS's swatch but frankly, I love SMS's swatch more. It's a great color for a wall and certainly not too dark. It's got a lot of character.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post