Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need help with colors for cabinets and walls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with colors for cabinets and walls Sign In/Join 
posted
I am not a big fan of these floors but can not afford to change them. These are engineered hardwood floors.
Our style is more of contemporary look. We will be replacing all the appliances with stainless steel, remove the pillars and the mural wall paper. We are hoping that a built in bookshelf will take it's place
Any ideas for
1. Cabinet colors - white? dark using rustoleum? retain the present look (oak)
2. Wall color for kitchen?
3. Kitchen slabs
4. Backsplash

Also, we are thinking of rugs, presently we have dark rugs which I guess will not go well on thgese floors. Any ideas of rugs that will not get dirty, yet look good on these floors?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sn7:
I am not a big fan of these floors but can not afford to change them. These are engineered hardwood floors.

I checked with our wood guy and he felt that he would not want to risk refinishing these engineered hardwood floors as it can damage them.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I am not a big fan of these floors but can not afford to change them. These are engineered hardwood floors.
Our style is more of contemporary look. We will be replacing all the appliances with stainless steel, remove the pillars and the mural wall paper. We are hoping that a built in bookshelf will take it's place
Any ideas for
1. Cabinet colors - white? dark using rustoleum? retain the present look (oak)"

White cabinets would look great with the flooring. I would not retain the present look with the floor. It all blends in too boringly.

2. Wall color for kitchen?

With your new stainless appliances, a medium grey would look beautiful and work very well.

3. Kitchen slabs

Sorry to be so dumb but what are slabs? Are you referring to countertops? If so, a combo of white/grey/black/rust would go nicely.

4. Backsplash

Same for backsplash.

Also, we are thinking of rugs, presently we have dark rugs which I guess will not go well on thgese floors. Any ideas of rugs that will not get dirty, yet look good on these floors?[/quote]

I am not a fan of rugs on kitchen floors, particularly in a more contemporary kitchen, so I cannot comment on this.

I think your kitchen will be beautiful and the floor does not disturb me half as much as it does you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post