Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Color scheme for Pacific Northwest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color scheme for Pacific Northwest Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm moving to Portland Oregon!

I'll be moving into my new home in a month. Right now, the walls are painted gray. Great, stylish color. Fine for summertime.... but during the gray, overcast winter months? I'm not so sure about that. (Especially since I"m moving from Denver, where we get 300+ sunny days per year)

So- What color schemes (in particular, wall colors) would be good for creating a light and bright interior to counter balance the gray days outside?

Suggestions, please!

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am having the same problem for different reason. Trees shade the house on the south and west and the current gray looks drab. I've decided that a pastel, likely toward the cool side will look good. I've been playing with a paint companies on line paint whatever to try colors. I am leaning toward a teal with light lemon.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I think of Portland, I think of Craftsman houses. I tried googling Portland color schemes and this site came up:
http://www.nwpaintcontractors....todays-paint-colors/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ever consider keeping one of the walls gray as a statement wall (you never did indicate the shade of grey -- dark? light? in between?) and trying this color on the other walls?
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...int-color/wheatfield

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if you care for sunny yellow but it's terrific with light grey and would definitely brighten up those overcast days, IMHO.

Congratulations on your move!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas. I have looked back at the photos from the house- it looks like the bedrooms and office/den are painted gray. The main living area is mostly a light cream color, but with one wall painted a beige. (and some custom blue squares on one wall- I'll be painting over that since it doesn't fit my style.)

So- I think I might be able to live with the main level paint and just change that one wall.

The bedrooms.... my daughter wants to pain her room pink. I've resisted this for several years, convincing her, instead, to use pink as an accent. But it is her favorite color. I'll need to find the right shade for her on this.

Meanwhile.... the master bedroom.... I do not want to keep the gray there. I think it will be too depressing.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you can easily pick up one of the other (non-grey) colors and flow it through to one or more walls of the master for continuity.

WRT the pink room, many grey and pink shades work well together. You could go for either a high contrast (say dark grey, light pink) or more soothing soft shades of each.

For a paint-by-the-numbers method, you could always match the other rooms' grey and then select a corresponding pink from that particular line. (I'm sure you knew that, TQ.)

Good Luck!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post