Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Painting Exterior Brick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Exterior Brick Sign In/Join 
Picture of rawersla1123
posted
Help! We just moved into this home, which we love, but has a lovely (insert much sarcasm here) shimmery pastel painted concrete stone exterior. We want to paint it, and have since put a white-ish color on, as you'll see. It's better than what it was before at least! Wondering if anyone might have a great suggestion for color for us?

I think I like the white, but hubby isn't convinced. He is more of a natural stone guy- but it's tough trying to get non-natural stone to look natural, you know? Anyways...we are open to any kind of suggestions! The siding is also going to be kind of tough to pair certain colors with, I think. It's a grey- but has kind of a purple-y hue to it. We like the siding, so are just interested in changing the color of the brick for now. We also are wanting to paint the door. Thinking maybe a blue? What do you think?!

Thanks for any help y'all can offer :-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/b...wersland/9445531552/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/b...wersland/9445530954/

Becca

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a difference!
I would probably go with a gun metal grey (which has blue tints to it) for all of the woodwork and hope that you are planning to paint the rest of the original brick in white as well.
If you prefer a blue door to the medium grey just be sure the blue is a deeper rather than lighter color with a grey tone to the blue.
The siding is just fine. Don't touch it.
The house is adorable now that you have gotten rid of that old brick color.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cute house, Becca. Love your updates.

I concur with arepo's colors. You might consider a deep, royal blue for the door. (You can move up the paint chips after selecting your grey, to make it easy.) That way, it stands out, directing/welcoming visitors to your home. BTW, I wouldn't use blue anywhere else, making the door unique.

In addition, I would also think about painting out your window trim/sashes, using a different color. You might consider black.

Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think the white looks great!!!

Posts: 3156 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post