Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need paint color help with kitchen from 1988
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need paint color help with kitchen from 1988 Sign In/Join 
posted
We just bought a house which is in nice shape but with a 1988 kitchen. Oak cupboards and black appliances.

We're not at a point where we can re-do the whole kitchen but I need some suggestions on a paint color that would help it out. Any suggestions?

photo

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black and white glass tiles as a backsplash would look nice on that one wall.
http://www.google.com/imgres?i...=0CHoQ9QEwCA&dur=355

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a blank slate so, if I were you, I'd go with whatever I liked and that flowed into the other rooms of my home.

You could certainly add color with an inexpensive porcelain tile backsplash. If the budget's extremely tight, you can paint a backsplash, too.

You could also do a valance or simple curtain over the window. If you select a patterned fabric first, you can easily use that to select towels, select other accessories and match paint.

The hardware could also be easily (and inexpensively) updated. That would go a long way towards updating the space, IMHO.

Good luck with your project!

P.S. The lighting looks o.k. but a little builders' special - I'd probably change it out. Same thing for the accordion folding doors - that appears to be Lowe's (or HD) white. As soon as you decide on a color scheme, you could easily paint them.

BTW, if you selected the lighting or doors, don't worry about it. I realize everyone's pressed for time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New hardware on the cabinets would do a lot to modernize your effect.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Although my cabinetry is a different style and my appliances now white, the age of the cabinetry (house) and stain appear the same. I once had a predominately dark green floral paper in my kitchen, but have since stripped it and painted it in a warm, med. green. If memory serves, it's BM's Potpourri. I will try to verify that tho. In any event, factor in the room's lighting. My kitchen faces SE so I get abundant sunshine. Blues and greens or variations compliment honey oak which is warm.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe my recollection was correct. Here "she" is...

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...color/potpourrigreen

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never actually answered your question which was mainly about paint.
I would likely do those walls in a mushroom grey.