Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Bedroom Paint Color???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedroom Paint Color??? Sign In/Join 
posted
I need some advise on what color to paint my bedroom walls. I have a medium stained hardwood floor and medium stained wood bedroom furniture. My comforter, with matching shams and decorator pillows, are all gold brocade. No other colors in them, just varying shades and textures of gold. I have no idea what color to paint the walls. It's a fairly small room, only about 12' x 15'. The house was built in 1947 and has all original hardwood floors.

Any advise or suggestions would be welcome!

Thank you!

Ann

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ann, sounds like a nice room! If you can post photos, that'd help.

What color do you like? I'd consider your gold a neutral. If you select the proper shade/tone, you can probably pair it with any color of the rainbow, IMHO.

Before selecting a paint color, however, I suggest you select a color inspiration for the room, e.g. a rug, artwork, pottery or fabric ... (No photo attached so I'm assuming you don't have one, BTW.)

For example, if you selected a rug with both your gold and the brown/wood tone plus an accent color or two, you could use that to select other items to finish out the room. Or, if you prefer, try a gold on cream background plus an accent or two. It's about what you like - I'm just throwing out a couple of possibilities to get you started.

WRT the paint, it depends upon the mood you desire for the room and any issues you'd like to solve. For example, you might stay on the monochromatic side for paint (say, using the gold or a lighter shade of it) if you'd like the room to feel larger (less contrast).

Alternatively, you might prefer a calm/cool color for relaxation (blue, for example) or a nice warm accent (a spicy red or burgundy) to provide a different mood, altogether. Depends on how you'd like it to feel -

After selecting your color inspiration, any reputable paint counter can easily use it to match the paint color(s) for you. JMHO and best of luck with your room and home!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

posted Hide Post
What about cream being that gold brocade is so "out there" so that you won't compete with it rather than highlight it?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:
Or, if you prefer, try a gold on cream background

Agree, arepo, I suggested cream above, so we're on the same page, there.

Brocades are available in many options and can vary significantly so I didn't make the assumption that Ann's room is "out there" without seeing any photos.

Can you post photos, Ann? It'd be fun to see your space!

posted Hide Post
Of course you are right AguaBella.
I always think of brocades as elegant next to more subtle fabrics and tend to think they should dominate rather than other elements of the room. To me a simple cream would add even more class to the beautiful brocade and make it stand out more.
Just my particular taste though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Or, if you prefer, try a gold on cream background

Agree, arepo, I suggested cream above, so we're on the same page, there.

Brocades are available in many options and can vary significantly so I didn't make the assumption that Ann's room is "out there" without seeing any photos.

Can you post photos, Ann? It'd be fun to see your space!

We are not in our new house yet, I'm just trying to get some ideas at this point.

My bedding is from the Waterford Caprice collection. I've seen a picture of it online with cream walls in the background and I think it "blends in" too much. I want a color that makes it stand out and be the focal point of the room. I just don't know how to do that.

I would supply a picture but I donT know how to do that here.

posted Hide Post
Trying to see if this works...it's a picture of my bedding from Macy's

http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro...caprice%26slotId%3D1

posted Hide Post
Ok, got the picture to sow up. See how it just looks "blah" with the wall color?

posted Hide Post
Also, I don't have the European shams that are in the very back...just the standard ones that have the tassels and one of the gold square pillows.

posted Hide Post
I was thing about a rich burgundy wine color but I'm afraid it would be too dark and make the room look even smaller?

posted Hide Post
My only other suggestion, being that you find the cream walls too monochromatic, would be to go with a taupish grey color (not charcoal grey which is too dark) but maybe the next lighter shade.
You could also consider doing the headboard wall as your focal point with the darker grey and doing a much lighter grey on the other 3 walls.

posted Hide Post
Hi Ann,

Based on your description i can image a nice room you have. You can go with your fav shades in walls and in addition to this you can also have some curtains which matches your wall shadings and contrast embroidery work in that. This would likely enhance your room. I would suggest you to go with curtainsandcurtains.com for better suggestions. Hope you i replied good.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently painted my bedroom manchester tan with an accent wall of numbus gray. It turned out beautiful and I highly recommend you taking a look at those colors.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...-color/manchestertan
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...int-color/nimbusgray

Hope this helps!

Posts: 21 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking I might go with blue walls...something like this:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by klsteward:
I just recently painted my bedroom manchester tan with an accent wall of numbus gray. It turned out beautiful and I highly recommend you taking a look at those colors.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...-color/manchestertan
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e...int-color/nimbusgray

Hope this helps!

I really like the Nibus Gray!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annzuhn,

posted Hide Post
This is my Duvet:

posted Hide Post
This is my floor:

posted Hide Post
Without the grayish shams on the euros, I'd be afraid to paint the walls blue seeing the warm colors of your duvet and floor. I'd be afraid the contrast would be too much. But what about this Spring Valley (BM)

Posts: 3495 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ann, sounds like a nice room! If you can post photos, that'd help.

What color do you like? I'd consider your gold a neutral. If you select the proper shade/tone, you can probably pair it with any color of the rainbow, IMHO.

Before selecting a paint color, however, I suggest you select a color inspiration for the room, e.g. a rug, artwork, pottery or fabric ... (No photo attached so I'm assuming you don't have one, BTW.)

For example, if you selected a rug with both your gold and the brown/wood tone plus an accent color or two, you could use that to select other items to finish out the room. Or, if you prefer, try a gold on cream background plus an accent or two. It's about what you like - I'm just throwing out a couple of possibilities to get you started.

WRT the paint, it depends upon the mood you desire for the room and any issues you'd like to solve. For example, you might stay on the monochromatic side for paint (say, using the gold or a lighter shade of it) if you'd like the room to feel larger (less contrast).

Alternatively, you might prefer a calm/cool color for relaxation (blue, for example) or a nice warm accent (a spicy red or burgundy) to provide a different mood, altogether. Depends on how you'd like it to feel -

After selecting your color inspiration, any reputable paint counter can easily use it to match the paint color(s) for you. JMHO and best of luck with your room and home!

Beautiful bedset! After seeing it and the paint choices, I'm going to reiterate my initial post, above. I'd locate a color inspiration and then proceed to paint colors.

You'll save tons of time, if you plan to completely decorate the room. Also, when I say "match" the paint, it need not be the exact shade. You might prefer a lighter or darker version of that color for the walls.

In addition, the paint colors you're reviewing will appear very different on your wall. So, after selecting the room's inspiration, I'd suggest you paint samples of several paint colors, e.g. 3-4 bluegreys, and then check them in the room's light, at different times of the day.

A painted color board for each would also be helpful. Then, if you set it on top of your color inspiration over your bedset, you can easily eliminate any paint colors that clash with your previous choices.

Anyway, hope that helps. You have a terrific foundation for the room so I'm sure it'll look great! Please post after photos, if you have a chance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annzuhn:
I need some advise on what color to paint my bedroom walls. I have a medium stained hardwood floor and medium stained wood bedroom furniture. My comforter, with matching shams and decorator pillows, are all gold brocade. No other colors in them, just varying shades and textures of gold. I have no idea what color to paint the walls. It's a fairly small room, only about 12' x 15'. The house was built in 1947 and has all original hardwood floors.

Any advise or suggestions would be welcome!

Thank you!

Ann

Hi Ann,

I can visualize a great room from your narration! I would like to suggest you to go with cream colours and even you can add some decorative string curtains or voile curtains comparable with your pillow shams and comforter...

Thank you

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post