Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Wood trim, beams, floor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood trim, beams, floor Sign In/Join 
posted
Currently we have woods beams in our living area. They are not really cherry wood, but a darker color. My question is do I match the trim and floor to it? We are going to be putting in wood floors and don't know how to match it? The same with the floor trim, as well as the trim around the doors. Should doors match? Do we find a different shade, but still in the color family? Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on whether or not you want the room to look prominent with the wood color or not.
A more modern room would probably prefer to water down the beams instead of highlighting them. Also remember that the darker the ceiling, the lower the room will look, (which can add to intimacy in a bedroom but be more claustrophobic in a small living room).
I happen to have beams in my Master bedroom. They were dark and distressed. They looked just fine with that color years ago because I was in country mode then. The woodwork was white and the floors were dark wood.
Now I have completely changed my taste and rather than spend the money to take the beams down I decided to minimize that look by painting them the same color as the ceiling which reflected the lightest color of the wall color swatch, so that my Master bedroom ceiling and beams are now a very pale grey-white because the walls are light grey to charcoal (on the headboard wall). Woodwork, trim and doors remains white. Floor is now carpeted grey (thanks to a DH who insists upon it!)
Hope this gives you a picture.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post