Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Black Accents in Light Yellow Room...Grey Couch OK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Accents in Light Yellow Room...Grey Couch OK? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a small bedroom that has been converted into a "media"/movie-watching room. There is really no furniture in it at all, just a single futon that I can't stand (must have something to accomodate sleeping).

The walls are a light yellow (paint was called "light honey" or something like that) while the door, closet doors, trip, and picture frames in the room are all black - which matches the front projector screen wall that was painted black for functionality.

Since I dislike the futon, I have been shopping around for its replacement and really like the idea of having a sectional sleeper - that is, one with a chaise. The problem is finding ones that come in black. I have been leaning towards Ikea since the prices are in my budget, but the only black one - called "Lugnvik" - is extremely uncomfortable and not proportionately efficient (my legs hang off the chaise; pillow cushions leave very little seat room). They have one called "Friheten" that comes in a beige and grey color. I figured the beige would clash with my walls + carpet, and the grey would match them, but I don't think it would go well with the black accents.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated! (Please don't mind the speaker wires and silver speakers that show in some pics...those are all gone!)

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the sofa I am talking about: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/im...&size=l&tid=82772118

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with your gray sofa choice. It is a neutral and would work well with your light yellow walls too.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
I see nothing wrong with your gray sofa choice. It is a neutral and would work well with your light yellow walls too.

Thanks for the reply.

I was just worried that introducing grey on its own would throw things off, since right now there are 3 colors that dominate the room - light yellow walls, beige carpet, and black accents + accessories. The grey would come in and have nothing to complement it...

posted Hide Post
Do you think something like this would work better?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
A unifying fabric or area rug might make sense to you if you're reluctant to introduce the gray. It could come via pillows, rug or window treatment. I would bring in more yellow via a print as an accent. I am not too concerned about the neutral carpet.

Painting random color blocks of various sizes on the walls in these colors is a contemporary way to go that won't be hidden by furniture. See a follow up alternative under the following response.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
BTW, another way to bridge the colors is in painting a band of horizontal stripes in gray, black and beige leaving a masked stripe of the yellow centrally in the broad band. Snapping level chalk lines and using painter's tape is part of this low cost project.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
All you need is an area rug pulling all those colors together and you will be very happy with the results.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post