Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Cream and Black Curtains
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cream and Black Curtains Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on decorating the master bedroom with bedding. To save money & space, I'm planning to use a set of curtains as my "headboard." They are cream with a black fleur-de-lis pattern.

Miraculously, I found a bedding set that matches the pattern and the colors...ALMOST. The bedding comes in two color schemes: white with black pattern, and cream with brown pattern. The brown is dark, but still noticeably brown.

(For further reference, the rest of the furniture in the bedroom is also a mix of brown wood and black laminate--the curse of mixing two apartments worth of furniture into a first home.)

Which bedding should I choose to go with the curtains? White and black, to match the pattern color, or cream and brown, to match the background?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. You'd probably get more replies on the General Decorating board. To reply to your question, I wouldn't use either. It's going to look as though you tried for an exact match and failed. Unless you can find bedding with those exact colors (no matter what the pattern), I'd go with a solid. I had black bedding in the past and I really liked it.

Posts: 3414 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You have two NEW options. Search for bedding that is in keeping with the headboard fabric (I found lots in that scheme on a quick search) OR opt for a black comforter with cream sheets. Throw pillows can be found or made mixing patterns and textures in the black and cream scheme. Btw! Have you considered painting the brown furniture antique white/cream? A harlequin pattern introduced via a rug, lamps, bedding or furniture would work nicely with the headboard pattern.

Posts: 18694 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post