Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Need pattern, color help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need pattern, color help! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi there...We are redecorating our family/living room. It is the room you would walk into as you enter the house but is the main "hang out." We are planning to hang art that we inherited from my mother in law (photos of the art can be viewed here http://glennjennieelliemaggie....y.com/pictures/3226). It is from a mexican artist and uses vibrant colors. We are going to paint the walls an off white. We have an ikea dark blue couch and two large black expedit bookcases and highlight my mother's new mexican pot/vase collection (most of which are earth tones). We would like to have an eclectic color and pattern design that would flow into our dining room. I've been looking at many rooms from a google search mixing pattern and color which leads me to rooms with similar colors that look too matchy matchy for me. We would like rooms that we could add any piece of art that we purchase into as well as display family/kid photos or art. But achieving that look is WAY OUT of my league! Please help thank you in advance!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with doing white walls?
That way you have a clear slate to start with and can use any fabrics and colors that please your eye.
Sounds to me like picking up on the colors from the Mexican photos and incorporating that look would be lovely and different. Don't be afraid of bold colors -- especially if you are planning to use them as accessories like throw pillows, throw rugs, etc.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was your question only about paint colors? You titled the thread "pattern, color help".

If you'd like to highlight your art, you can take a cue from galleries. They use - you guessed it - white.

If you can restate your question and separate your post into paragraphs, it might help readers and increase responses.

Good luck - sounds like a fun room!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
welcome. Indeed white walls are gallery friendly. The art will take front stage especially if identical colors in frames unifies them. Keep big ticket furnishings neutral such as a gray, black, taupe or brown/tan sofa. A patterned rug is not entirely out of the question nor is dotting your spaces with accents. A monochromatic space will tone things down allowing the art to shine.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post