Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Carpet for furniture.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpet for furniture. Sign In/Join 
posted
I have been trying to decide on a carpet color for my living room for the longest time. My furniture is a Sage Green, I have a dark oak entertainment system and the walls are an off white color(can not change the walls). I want to install carpet throughout the living room but can't decide on a color. Can someone please help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
More info would be helpful such as...
Do you have pets and/ or small children? Steer clear from super light carpeting if so. A mixed tweedy blend of neutrals such as tans/taupes/browns should work with your sage. If you can bring carpet samples home to view next to your upholstery pieces and in your room's lighting conditions, it would help you pinpoint the best choice. A neutral carpet will allow greater scheme flexibility over time.

Curious why you can't paint the walls? The fact you are paying to install new wall to wall carpeting suggests this is not a rental property.

Posts: 18680 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just mentioning some complementary colors with sage: Patterns including raspberry or peach and ivory with the sage are always nice.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some carpet samples and take them home. What looks nice at the store may not be so great at home. Totally agree with the comment on light carpeting, it shows everything. Very dark carpeting also shows every piece of lint, paper clip etc.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. First of all I am living in a rental unit so that's why I can't paint the walls. I plan on just laying the carpet down, I have done it before in a previous home. Although the colors were different. I do have children and a cat so a darker color would work. I will get a few color samples and go from there, once again thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post