Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  HELP! - Want to change colors of floor, walls and cabinets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! - Want to change colors of floor, walls and cabinets Sign In/Join 
posted
We are buying a house and I honestly hate the colors. The floors are Brazilian cherry - but they are too red for my taste. The kitchen hurts my eyes. Ideas on how I can improve without spending an arm and a leg are much appreciated? I was thinking of using something like rustoleum for cabinets (dark walnut?), white walls and somehow figure out to darken the floor. Any ideas? Please help - I am horrible at this stuff - but this is so bad that it even hurts my eyes.
I like more of contemporary and modern style.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sn7,

Kitchen

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if contemporary is your style, then that "mural" wall and column have got to go. Are the floors real wood or laminate? If they are real, then you could have them sanded and restained a darker color. If they are laminate, you might consider replacing them altogether. If neither of those options are in the budget, a large area rug in the open space might help. My kitchen floors are cork and I keep rugs in front of my sink and the main prep area. You could do something like that to break up the cherry color. I don't think I'd want white walls, especially if I were thinking of painting or staining the cabinets a dark color. The contrast might be too stark for my tastes (but I don't like white walls to begin with). What would you think about gray cabinets? That would work with white walls.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree regarding sanding and restaining the floors if they are solid hardwood vs a laminate. If not doable, a gray and white scheme will compliment them and evoke the contemporary feel you seek. Downplaying the field of cherry with a contemporary rug and runners is also one I second. I also recommend the mural and column should be removed. Much happiness in your new home.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
In addition, when budget permits, replace the appliances with SS and change out light fixtures.

Posts: 18729 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
Certainly replacing the appliances witth stainless steel ones. And Mural shall be removed. Not a big fan of grey though - I feel it is a temporary craze and want something that will stay 'in' for a longer period of time.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I'd call gray a fad necessarily. Sarah Richardson has been doing gray kitchens and bathrooms for YEARS. So much so, that I was surprised when she started doing vibrant colors. Sometimes what she calls gray seems more putty colored to me, sort of warm.

Here's a pic of a kitchen with floors similar to yours that may be what you are looking for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that painted cabinets and a different wall color will make this so much better. New appliances and light fixtures will be great. I would surely try those things before considering changing the floors.

Wall colors are a very personal thing. I suggest looking at pictures to see what gets your attention.

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a lot of traditional going on in the kitchen with dentil crown molding and all the architectural features. Unless you know for sure that the column was installed after the floors, there could be issues with that. Do you intend to replace the crown molding with something less fussy because if you don't, the kitchen is always going to have a traditional vibe.

If your goal is to darken the cabinets, they either need to be stripped, stained and refinished,or if you prefer painting them they need to be sanded prior to painting. They will also need to be primed. Rustoleum is not going to work. There is no simple, cheap and easy quick fix, and you could end up ruining perfectly good cabinets.

Assuming the floor is regular hardwood, it can be refinished but it is no small project and should be left to a professional.

Is the rest of the home traditional or just this one?

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post