Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   Colors
  Painting over oil based primer issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting over oil based primer issue Sign In/Join 
posted
We moved into this house with horrid wallpaper in the bathroom so I decided to remove it and paint instead. The wallpaper gave me no trouble coming off and the wall was in great condition. The fellow at home improvement store told me to prime with oil based Kilz before painting. I took his suggestion and then the same fellow was there when I went to choose my new color. He recommended a semi gloss latex paint. So that's what I purchased. Jump to the bathroom right after I put the first coat on and it looks like the walls are covered in red food coloring movie blood. It's horrible!!! So I did some research and it looks like I was supposed to sand the walls between the primer curing completely and adding my latex paint. Well, obviously, it's too late for that so any advice on what I can do to fix this hideous problem?
Thank you!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: NC | Registered: Oct 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing you should do is try to find a way to contact the Kilz company and see what they say. My understanding is that you can paint with latex over oil based primer.

Posts: 301 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello! My name is Katy and I'm the social media coordinator for KILZ brand products. You should be able to use a water-base paint over an oil-based primer as long as the surface is well prepared (i.e. scuff sanding and cleaning with TSP or mild household cleaner). For interior use, generally you can use one over the other. It is recommended to lightly sand in between coats to promote adhesion. If you have additional questions, please contact us directly at ask@kilz.com. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post